2017 Ford Explorer Sport issues already | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer Sport issues already

DrBoga

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I have had the truck since December and 2,500 miles and had 2 small annoying issues and a big one with it. First, the driver side front door started to squeak - nothing big, but annoying to have this in the first month of ownership.
Second - the starter and the battery were replaced after a big scare - smoke started to come out from the engine bay.
Third - a piece of trim from the ride side of the entertainment/nav screen is loose. I am scheduled this week to get it fixed.

Am I paranoid that I am expecting to much from a $50k brand new vehicle. This is a lease that I planed to purchase and pass down to my wife, but if this continues I do not think I can trust the vehicle.

How are your 5th gen holding up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford =/= quality...LOL
Lots of minor deficiencies with my 2016 (took delivery back in Nov 2015) and depending on what comes up after the 5yr mark; will dictate on whether I continue to be a Ford owner.

I took delivery of my 2016 Platinum on October 7, 2015. After 17 months and 13K miles, I have yet to experience even a minor defect. Over the years, I've owned and leased many new cars, and I think my Explorer is the first vehicle that didn't have to go back to the dealership for adjustments or repairs. Guess I'm just lucky.

2 months and 3,300 miles no issues other than lower bumpers replaced due to scratches from transport.

I've had parking sensor failures and my drivetrain wouldn't know what the word "smooth" meant if you read it the definition. This thing clunks, slams, revs, whatever the hell it wants. 3 dealerships have checked it and tell me it's fine. Otherwise, it's fairly solid.

2015 Sport purchased in Feb. of '15. 25,000 miles and 0 issues (other than MFT being a dog.)

I picked up my 2016 Sport September 2015, have 54000Km on it not one issue.
Picking up a 2017 Sport on Saturday, its ready now for pickup by I do not
have the time. Hope this new one is a good as the one i'm trading in.

Brian

I picked up my 2016 Sport September 2015, have 54000Km on it not one issue.
Picking up a 2017 Sport on Saturday, its ready now for pickup by I do not
have the time. Hope this new one is a good as the one i'm trading in.

Brian
Campbell's again?;)

Got my XP 16 sport 13 month ago and it is very sharp. No issues at all. The only problem is that it has a little bit too much power which I cant use here in NY. I need to find an abandoned air strip or airport that I can really go to drive it around full speed.
For those of you that are trading in your 15 and 16th, I wonder how much value do you loose. I read that once you drive off the lot in a brand new one you loose 5K and another 5K at least if the millage is less then 10,000 miles. If driving more then miles then it would be loosing 15K in value after owning one for a year or so. I was just wondering about this because mine has the old sync 2 system in it, but its not a big deal for me.

We haven't got our EX yet, but man oh man, it better be a problem free vehicle. I'm somewhat worried considering our past luck and we're trading in our problematic 2015 MKX. We were actually on the way to check out and test drive the BMW and Mercedes SUV's and just stopped at our Ford dealer for a quick quote for a EX-PLAT. The ONE and ONLY reason we didn't get past the Ford dealer is the fact that i am extremely happy with our dealer. (Ford not so much) They really treat us well. If this, our 26th Ford product ends up being a pain, it WILL be the very last Ford for us.

No Sterling Ford

Brian
That is where my Platinum originally came from. Since the dealer really wanted my MKT back we were faced with time constraints. Sterling had the only white gold Platinum in Ottawa. A day later it was shipped to Donnellys and that is where my dealer (Dupuis Ford Lincoln) picked it up from. It had about 91 kms on it when I finally got it.

Peter

Got my XP 16 sport 13 month ago and it is very sharp. No issues at all. The only problem is that it has a little bit too much power which I cant use here in NY. I need to find an abandoned air strip or airport that I can really go to drive it around full speed.
For those of you that are trading in your 15 and 16th, I wonder how much value do you loose. I read that once you drive off the lot in a brand new one you loose 5K and another 5K at least if the millage is less then 10,000 miles. If driving more then miles then it would be loosing 15K in value after owning one for a year or so. I was just wondering about this because mine has the old sync 2 system in it, but its not a big deal for me.
Easily $10K-$20K in depreciation.
Those that are trading in, are likely leasing and have no quarrels on the loss; as everything is just getting rolled into the new lease.

Easily $10K-$20K in depreciation.
Those that are trading in, are likely leasing and have no quarrels on the loss; as everything is just getting rolled into the new lease.
All my leases have started from 'scratch'. Nothing rolled in. In fact depending on the going price of the vehicle after the lease compared to the residual value, one can sometimes make money. That's what happened with my 2011 Limited.

Peter

Update to my original post. The EX has now 5,500 miles and it seems that it has the same issue. Noise while running and when off. Waiting for tow truck. I really don't know what to do. This is a lease and do not feel comfortable driving it anymore. I think lemon law states same issue for 3 or more times. Very frustrated right now.

No real issues on mine. A few minor things like sunroof and door alignment when I picked it up.

I've had my 2017 Sport since August 2016. About 9000kms. I haven't had any issues, except for losing both my mirrors in two separate accidents.

Bought my 2017 Sport earlier this year. Other than a Sync hiccup here or there, and some general QA issues (hood is rubbing top of front left fender, right rear taillight looks crooked, some dimpling in the paint inside the door jams, etc), this thing has otherwise been solid. No issues with shifting, haven't noticed any steering or vibration issues, electronics have all been good other than the Sync issue. I've owned quite a few different Fords, have had cars from several different manufacturers, they all have problems. Although, I feel like for the most part, the Fords that I have owned have at least been a bit more reliable or had minor issues versus major issues. But that's probably just my luck. I'm sure there's just as many folks who feel the opposite. Buy what works for your needs, and drive what makes you happy. :)

Update to my original post. The EX has now 5,500 miles and it seems that it has the same issue. Noise while running and when off. Waiting for tow truck. I really don't know what to do. This is a lease and do not feel comfortable driving it anymore. I think lemon law states same issue for 3 or more times. Very frustrated right now.

Exactly what do you mean "Noise while running and when off"? This does not seem like one of the original issues you mentioned. Ohio lemon law is the dealer has had three opportunities to fix the same problem and it reoccurs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly what do you mean "Noise while running and when off"? This does not seem like one of the original issues you mentioned. Ohio lemon law is the dealer has had three opportunities to fix the same problem and it reoccurs.

These are exactly the same symptoms that the car had when they needed to replace the starter, just did not explain them then. Car running loud and when turned off it sounded like the starter was trying to engage and then smoke came out. The dealer said that it might be something else wrong, since I had the same issue twice and it's causing the starter to fail. I am aware of the Ohio lemon law. The dealer hinted that they might get me out of the lease if I so desire. We shall see.

Back