2014 Explorer sport with Sony controls! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer sport with Sony controls!

iHk40

Reaction score
City, State
New London,Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer sport
Hey everyone wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. My apim stopped working due to someone messing with the harness. I have a black screen and have no ac controls, I can’t turn ac on or off. Is this because apim isn’t working? I’ve check all the fuses under the driver side and none were blown. If it’s the apim that’s not letting it work, can I replace with an aftermarket radio that has controls for the ac and bypasses sync?

B1E42315-6021-4BD2-A18F-CF548E3819F2.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Why was "someone messing with the harness"? Was there an issue already? The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. I believe that if it is not working, then you get what you have. I believe the change to actual buttons came along with the 2016 model refresh. There have been posts here that mentioned along with the refresh, the 'system' also was changed making a straight swap difficult if not totally impossible.
There are members that would be more knowledgeable than me on this.

Peter

Hey everyone wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. My apim stopped working due to someone messing with the harness. I have a black screen and have no ac controls, I can’t turn ac on or off. Is this because apim isn’t working? I’ve check all the fuses under the driver side and none were blown. If it’s the apim that’s not letting it work, can I replace with an aftermarket radio that has controls for the ac and bypasses sync?

View attachment 432222
I believe the HVAC controls should still work if the FCIM (button panel) still works. The APIM is more of a mirror of those controls than a replacement for them AFAIK. Any background RE: messed with the harnesses etc? Ideally you need a scan with forscan or something else that can read LIN/MSCAN/HSCAN to check what modules are online and if there are any codes for said modules. Do the other HVAC buttons work just not AC or is it the whole panel?

I believe the HVAC controls should still work if the FCIM (button panel) still works. The APIM is more of a mirror of those controls than a replacement for them AFAIK. Any background RE: messed with the harnesses etc? Ideally you need a scan with forscan or something else that can read LIN/MSCAN/HSCAN to check what modules are online and if there are any codes for said modules. Do the other HVAC buttons work just not AC or is it the whole panel?
Whole panel doesn’t have power, no blown fuse

Whole panel doesn’t have power, no blown fuse
May be a bad FCIM, sometimes sunroof leaks etc get down in the APIM/FCIM area and ruin everything back there.

I believe the controls are more of a mirror of the APIM since it is the 'brains' of MFT. I've read posts where the APIM has died and the member had no active controls for the HVAC.
We still don't know why anyone was messing around with the wiring in the first place. That may or may not help.

Peter

I believe the controls are more of a mirror of the APIM since it is the 'brains' of MFT. I've read posts where the APIM has died and the member had no active controls for the HVAC.
We still don't know why anyone was messing around with the wiring in the first place. That may or may not help.

Peter
I bought the car from this kid, looks like he tried to put a subwoofer since the cables are still behind the radio, looks like he tried connecting it to the apim since the wires are stripped. I tried buying a new apim but it still had no power, I’ll post a picture later today

Looks like the issue may not be the APIM then but the lack of power to it. Perhaps something got disconnected?

Peter

Back