Power Liftgate Issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

My dealer diagnosed it right on.. The right side (non powered) side shock gave up. He replaced it and bingo ALL fixed.
I am also thinking one of the gas lifts could be the problem. Today it started working again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a couple TSB's for liftgate issues in the TSB thread but I'm not sure if they would apply.

Peter

i have a 2016 Explorer Limited. Today my car was locked, I pushed the button on the lift gate handle to open and the liftgate came up. In the middle of loading groceries it randomly closed on me. Knocked me pretty good in the head! Has anybody else experienced this? This vehicle has 17,000 miles on it.

i have a 2016 Explorer Limited. Today my car was locked, I pushed the button on the lift gate handle to open and the liftgate came up. In the middle of loading groceries it randomly closed on me. Knocked me pretty good in the head! Has anybody else experienced this? This vehicle has 17,000 miles on it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The forum has a very handy 'Search' feature members are urged to use to check for threads on various topics. Yours was merged with this one. Do you have the foot operated liftgate? If so it may have detected movement while you were loading. If not, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. If you have the foot activated option then perhaps wait to see if it happens again.

Peter

[QUOTE"Karebear00, post: 3610069, member: 320763"]i have a 2016 Explorer Limited. Today my car was locked, I pushed the button on the lift gate handle to open and the liftgate came up. In the middle of loading groceries it randomly closed on me. Knocked me pretty good in the head! Has anybody else experienced this? This vehicle has 17,000 miles on it.[/QUOTE]
Mines is a 2016 Sport. I too had a couple of unintentional movement of the liftgate. Mines were unintentional openings. Happen when I am walking sideways between the liftgate and garage door or a wall. Walking sideways as in scooting thru a narrow space. My foot wasn't even under the bumper. My understanding was that a kicking motion under the bumper was what it took to operate liftgate. However I'm thinking a side movement also causes it to operate. Maybe the close space makes it more sensitive. Had unintentional open also when walking sideway when vehicle was close to a wall. Dang thing pinned me up against garage door for a moment.

xlt03, if you do not have the tow package on yours did you have the TSB performed for that issue?

Peter

On my Wife's 2013 Limited the tail gate tried to open until it hit the garage door during the night. On the chance I managed to hit the remote twice with all the keys in my pocket, I set the remote on my desk. we'll see if it does it again. Her remote is left on the kitchen counter with all her keys. I have set off the alarm on my truck like this. Maybe us Men need to start carrying a purse :dunno:

On my Wife's 2013 Limited the tail gate tried to open until it hit the garage door during the night. On the chance I managed to hit the remote twice with all the keys in my pocket, I set the remote on my desk. we'll see if it does it again. Her remote is left on the kitchen counter with all her keys. I have set off the alarm on my truck like this. Maybe us Men need to start carrying a purse :dunno:

I always let the keyfob hang out of my pocket with keys in pocket. Prevents buttons being pushed and easy to grab to pull keys out.

I've done the alarm thing myself in the past which is why I do it that way now.

Navman, I hate to say it, but I do carry my "Murse", "Manbag", "Man Purse" - there's is no good way of saying it, so after over a year with it, I've finally just gone the simple route and call it "my bag". I still cringe when it's referred to as my "purse" but - what are ya gonna do?

Years ago when Fanny Pacs were "in" (were they ever REALLY "in"?), that was the greatest thing - I had my wallet (I like the checkbook sized wallet, only because I'm old enough to have started out back when you paid cash or check for everything - Circle K didn't take credit cards in those days, what the Hell was a "Debit Card?" - nor did grocery stores or hardly any other place except the mall [yes I remember open-air malls - which they're now going back to *eyeroll*]) anyway - my wallet, 2 packs of smokes (always a back-up), keys, lighter, and my sunglasses, and bag-o-weed. This was also way before "cargo pants" - in fact, skin-tight jeans were the thing so you didn't want all that crap in your pockets anyway, even IF you could get them in!

Advance back to present day Earth. I'm coming up on 56 and I REALLY wish that Fanny Pacs were in again! So I finally broke down and got a small manly-looking leather bag, just large enough for my 8" Tablet, Checkbook-sized wallet (yup, just can't break it! But today, it's Debit Card, license, then all the rest are those damn store cards, grrrr!), nowadays I have my PRESCRIPTION bi-focal sunglasses to swap out with the ones on my face. Those 3 things fit perfectly in the main part. It's got some zippered things that are good for things like my Med List, Doctors/phone #s/Med Alert, Last Will & Testament - you get the idea. There's one other zipper thing rather useless except for rags to clean my $600/each Rx glasses, and, what I've been leading up to this whole time, it finally has the outer-most pocket flap that's just perfect for my container of emergency meds and my asthma inhaler (I had to trade in the bag-o-weed for the other stuff) and, finally, my keys/FOB. (God, I make myself sound minutes away from death!)

My point in telling you all this? It's to prove that I'm confident in my manliness to be seen carrying a purse, er...um - bag! No, that's not it. My point is, even a purse isn't the solution to random and accidental button pressing! My FOB is in the outer-most compartment - and regardless of which way it's facing, all it takes is for me to lean against the counter to set off the damned alarm or grab my bag, my thumb just happening to land perfectly on the damned alarm! And I, too, have somehow pushed just the right button-sequences that I'll just happen to hear the car start in the driveway or, like you, open the hatch! There are times I put the FOB in my pocket when I don't need the rest of my garb and do all that through my pants pocket as well. Honestly, I think they'll just have to start with a voice-activated FOB or have some type of cover, over the alarm button at a minimum! Honestly, my next upgrade to my Explorer is to install the required items to use my cell phone to do everything. My phone is the only thing NOT in my "bag", I use it far too often to have it anywhere else but on a belt-clip (it's honestly not much smaller than my Samsung 8" tablet, plus it's inside quite the "armored" case, cracked screens aren't cheap to fix.)

xlt03, if you do not have the tow package on yours did you have the TSB performed for that issue?

Peter

Peter, yes I do have the tow package. I believe all 2016 Sports (400A) came with them. And the 401A also. Today when I was washing vehicle while soaping down the exhaust tip trim the liftgate activated. Will stop by dealership to ask fleet technicians. Will post back if any feedbacks.

Peter, yes I do have the tow package. I believe all 2016 Sports (400A) came with them. And the 401A also. Today when I was washing vehicle while soaping down the exhaust tip trim the liftgate activated. Will stop by dealership to ask fleet technicians. Will post back if any feedbacks.
Sounds good. Forgot you had the Sport. I guess I was thrown off by your username.;)

Mine seems to really be malfunctioning heavily lately. Cold and wet? Watch out, it'll think it got a kick and close on your head. And also open without trigger, either.

Anyone have any suggestions? Dealer appointment is set.. but for two weeks away. Argh.

Mine seems to really be malfunctioning heavily lately. Cold and wet? Watch out, it'll think it got a kick and close on your head. And also open without trigger, either.

Anyone have any suggestions? Dealer appointment is set.. but for two weeks away. Argh.
I haven't played around too much with mine since I got it so I don't know if the hands free feature can be turned off in the settings or not.

Peter

It can't be. I'd rather fix the feature, though, I actually have come to like it.

Has anyone else had problems with their automatic liftgate?

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks should see it.

Has anyone else had problems with their automatic liftgate?
What kind of problem? There are several; existing threads on the liftgate here.

Peter

Peter

Peter
The liftgate opens and then starts to close again. I have pushed the reset button for the liftgate with no luck. I end up having to manually hold it open until it stops beeping and then it will stay up (sort of). Comes down about 3 inches

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back