Power Liftgate Issues | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

I took it in for repair, and the dealer told me there is a TSB on this. I didn't see one when I was looking, but apparently there's one out there.
The TSB list on our Forum is not a complete up-to-date list. Many have been added as the result of a member coming across one. I checked the following site and even it appears that it may not have the most recent TSB's. http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Explorer/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. New to forum and first posting.
I have a 2013 Explorer Limited and am having an issue with the power liftgate. It started as intermittent with fob, liftgate button and the interior release button by steering wheel. When either was pressed, it would ding, make the release sound but not unlatch and rise. Very intermittent but becoming almost constant. There is no odd sound or squeal or anything which is leading me to believe it's just the latch assembly. But, cannot find this part name or number online anywhere. Does anyone know the correct name and/or part #?? Much appreciated!!

Had an issue with my powerliftgate. They go up but not to its set height. Would like to thi k its the same issue. And would need a new motor and suspensio. As did mine. Good thing i still have the warranty for itll be a good $700 part plus labor.

If your build date was on 9/4/2012 or after then this is the part.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/expl...dy-cat/liftgate-scat/?part_name=lock-actuator

Diagram of location of part:
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...rim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/liftgate-scat

But I wouldn't throw a $212 part at a vehicle and hope that fixes it.

I would almost be certain that an error code would be set in the LTM (Liftgate / Trunk Module). You sound like you are a diy type so it maybe wise to "invest" (not too expensive) in a OBDII Bluetooth adapter and use Forscan to read the control unit. Forscan can also do bilateral control so you can specifically tell it to do things like actuate the rear liftgate latch without doing anything else. Great for diagnosis.

If your build date was on 9/4/2012 or after then this is the part.

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/expl...dy-cat/liftgate-scat/?part_name=lock-actuator

Diagram of location of part:
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...rim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/liftgate-scat

But I wouldn't throw a $212 part at a vehicle and hope that fixes it.

I would almost be certain that an error code would be set in the LTM (Liftgate / Trunk Module). You sound like you are a diy type so it maybe wise to "invest" (not too expensive) in a OBDII Bluetooth adapter and use Forscan to read the control unit. Forscan can also do bilateral control so you can specifically tell it to do things like actuate the rear liftgate latch without doing anything else. Great for diagnosis.
Thanks for the info! I'm more inclined to believe it's just the lock actuator but will definitely look into the scanner. Thanks again!

Hi. New to forum and first posting.
I have a 2013 Explorer Limited and am having an issue with the power liftgate. It started as intermittent with fob, liftgate button and the interior release button by steering wheel. When either was pressed, it would ding, make the release sound but not unlatch and rise. Very intermittent but becoming almost constant. There is no odd sound or squeal or anything which is leading me to believe it's just the latch assembly. But, cannot find this part name or number online anywhere. Does anyone know the correct name and/or part #?? Much appreciated!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The only time the liftgate should give the warning chimes is when it begins to close NOT when you try to open it. You should hear it chime 3 times. How many times does it chime when you try to open it? What happens when you use the remote to open it or when you press the outside button on the liftgate? When it is open, does it stay in position?

Peter

The only time the liftgate should give the warning chimes is when it begins to close NOT when you try to open it. You should hear it chime 3 times. How many times does it chime when you try to open it? What happens when you use the remote to open it or when you press the outside button on the liftgate? When it is open, does it stay in position?

Peter
Hmmm, I never paid close attention but I thought it always "ding'd" once upon opening... it's the exact same outcome using the fob, liftgate button or button by driver. When it does open, it stays open until pressed to close and closes normally.

xlt03, if you do not have the tow package on yours did you have the TSB performed for that issue?

Peter
2013 Limited here also. Today the lift gate opened on it's own while parked outside with doors locked. Have also experienced issues with door locks not opening when touching the door handle while carrying the key fob. Have owned this 2013 for 5yrs and replaced key fob batteries every year just because. Weird gremlins at work?

I had the door handle issue once this past Winter after driving through freezing rain on the highway. A couple days later it was fine. Also had it once with my previous 2014 MKT. Made an appointment to have it looked at and just before leaving to go to the dealer, it started working again. Never caused a problem again. Is there any chance that the liftgate may have opened because of having the button on the fob being accidently activated? I carry mine in the 'pocket watch' of my jeans all the time and have not activated any buttons accidently.

Peter

been reading this thread...2014 ford explorer sport...power tail gate chimes, unlocks but doesn't release.....shop has replaced the strut a few months ago. shop says the module is getting a signal that something is is the way and won't release.

2013 Limited here also. Today the lift gate opened on it's own while parked outside with doors locked. Have also experienced issues with door locks not opening when touching the door handle while carrying the key fob. Have owned this 2013 for 5yrs and replaced key fob batteries every year just because. Weird gremlins at work?

Sounds like the same problem I am experiencing.

Last Sunday I went into my garage and found the tailgate open. I thought it was odd, but also didn't rule out that I may have accidentally forgotten to close the tailgate or I hit the open button without knowing. I forgot about it until the following Wednesday. I'm leaving the gym and used my keyfob to open the tailgate as I walked to the Explorer. I threw my bag in the cargo area, hit the button on the tailgate to close the door and I climb in the cabin. I hear the tailgate close and latch. A few seconds pass and I put my phone away and then the Explorer chimes and the tailgate opens. This has happened once or twice before and I figured the tailgate thought it bumped into something and opened for safety. I hit the button on the dash to close the tailgate, the door closes, stays shut for about 10 seconds, then opens again. This time I get out of the Explorer and walk to the rear. I check to make sure there is nothing the tailgate could be hitting while it closes. I push the button on the tailgate again, watch it close, hear it latch and it stays shut. I proceed to drive home. After I pull into the garage I shut off the Explorer, get out, lock the doors and grab and shovel to clear some snow off my driveway. After 5 minutes of shoveling snow and while I'm 50 feet away from my Explorer I hear "ding ding" and look up from the bottom of my driveway to see the tailgate opening. Now I'm completely baffled. I shut the tailgate, and it stayed shut. I went inside and changed the batteries in my keyfob in case a low battery was sending some mixed signals to open the tailgate.

Next day I go to work. I park about 4 blocks away from my office in a parking garage. As I leave work that night I exit the stairwell of the parking garage there is my Explorer with the tailgate wide open. All other doors are locked. Thank goodness nothing was missing. I have no idea how long the tailgate and Explorer was open.

I took the Explorer to a Ford dealership this morning and all they could think of was that the power lift gate actuator some small amount of water in it and with the cold weather the water froze and cause some sort of damage. We did have a lot of snow ice and freezing temps recently. Perhaps something was shorting out the liftgate. I was quoted $773.91 to replace the power lift gate actuator, support cylinder and reprogram the system. They also mentioned adding some sort of water diversion flap to prevent more water from entering the lift gate struts.

Has anyone replaced both the support cylinder and the powered actuator? It appears I can get all the parts for about half of what they quoted me. It appears it should be a simple swap but I am a little worried about the reprogramming the dealership mentioned.

The liftgate should only chime when it closes. It should not chime when it opens.
Page 120 of your Manual;
"When the liftgate is being power closed, a chime will sound three times
as the liftgate begins to power close
."
Have you always had the same keyfob with you when this occurs? Just wondering if the 'fob' is sending a signal.

Peter

The liftgate should only chime when it closes. It should not chime when it opens.
Page 120 of your Manual;
"When the liftgate is being power closed, a chime will sound three times
as the liftgate begins to power close
."
Have you always had the same keyfob with you when this occurs? Just wondering if the 'fob' is sending a signal.

Peter

Yes, I have always had the same keyfob, however the tailgate has opened a few times by itself when the keyfob is out of range from the Explorer. Unless the keyfob was sending signals to the Ex as I walked closer to it while it was parked in the parking garage the other day.

I did inspect the powered side of the lift gate. There is some buckling of the housing of the actuator where I could imagine some water getting into and causing a short. I figure if I can easily replace the actuator and lift support cylinder for about $250 myself, I'd start with that before I pay a dealer to do it for $500 and hope it's the fix.

A few members have replaced the powered actuator and the support cylinder. There is a video on the 1st page. I've also noticed that not all liftgates have them on the same side. I'm not sure exactly how the system works since the lock also has to be opened/tripped. Does the lock opening up cause the actuator to power up or vice versa? If you open the 'gate' using just the button on it, it will open up (powered). That would indicate that tripping/unlocking the 'gate' powers the actuator. Maybe that is the problem?? :dunno:

Peter

Thanks @peterk9. I have watched the video on the first page but that only covers the support cylinder, not the powered side and if I would need to reprogram something as the dealership hinted too.

I was hoping by disabling the power lift gate in the vehicle settings it would prevent the gate from opening with the keyfob or button on the dash, but it appears it only prevents the use of the button on the gate itself. That doesn't make sense to me but oh well.

ford dealer says i may have a short or a cut harness wire. the chime rings band the latch releases but the hatch does not go up or down.

ford dealer says i may have a short or a cut harness wire. the chime rings band the latch releases but the hatch does not go up or down.
What happens when you open it all the way manually? Does it stay up? If it does, will it close, chime 3X and latch when you press the button? When you said that they replaced a strut the last time I'm guessing it was the actuator (motor). Do you still have the invoice with a part number?

Peter

What happens when you open it all the way manually? Does it stay up? If it does, will it close, chime 3X and latch when you press the button? When you said that they replaced a strut the last time I'm guessing it was the actuator (motor). Do you still have the invoice with a part number?

Peter
it stays up when i lift it manually. it chimes when i try to open it or close it and i hear the latch release and/or lock. the local shop replaced the right strut so i have no paperwork but the bill.

thanx

ron g

Hi Ron. So it sounds like it works properly once it is fully open and then closes. Have you checked the opening height settings? Try adjusting that by setting it at the fully open point to see if perhaps that may be the issue. It probably isn't but doesn't hurt to eliminate that as the potential problem. When it tries to open, how many times does it chime? It should only chime 3 times when closing. Should not chime when opening?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Ron. So it sounds like it works properly once it is fully open and then closes. Have you checked the opening height settings? Try adjusting that by setting it at the fully open point to see if perhaps that may be the issue. It probably isn't but doesn't hurt to eliminate that as the potential problem. When it tries to open, how many times does it chime? It should only chime 3 times when closing. Should not chime when opening?

thanx for all your thought and time/effort. the dealer says that all parts are working but they are not talking to each other. i will try the height adjustment in the am

good nite

ron g

Back