Power Liftgate Issues | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

it stays up when i lift it manually. it chimes when i try to open it or close it and i hear the latch release and/or lock. the local shop replaced the right strut so i have no paperwork but the bill.

thanx

ron g

I had the exact problem you are describing above...dealer replaced the drive motor/driver side strut, all works well now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've successfully diagnosed my lift gate problem is caused by a small amount of water getting into the power lift gate strut and perhaps shorting something out, which in turn causes the lift gate to open randomly even when the Explorer is turned off and locked. I was quoted $700+ to get the strut replaced and "reprogrammed" at a local dealership. I had a my doubts it should cost that much but I couldn't find anything on the web where someone replaced the power side of the lift gate... until I found this video last night. I wanted to share with the community in case anyone else had the same issue.

My 2014 ford explorer liftgate has trouble opening and sometimes closing. When it is closed sometimes when I open it from the driver's seat or on the liftgate itself it unlocks the liftgate beeps and doesn't open. But when I click it again it opens no problem then when I close it and reopen it, it works fine. Also sometimes when I press the button when it is open to close it, it beeps and doesn't close. Earlier today I opened it with it doing the pressing of the button and nothing happening and when I went to close it, it beeps and doesn't close so I went and closed it manually and went back into the car when it said liftgate is still open when I was sure I closed it firmly and it was locked. The liftgate is able to open and close normally but most of the time it chooses not to. So I took it to ford to take a look at it but they said it would cost me $150 just to see what is wrong with it not including repair and parts!! Does anyone have a solution or know what's wrong? P.s I have reset the liftgate and the problem still persisted.

I could be that the actuator (motor) is starting to fail. A few members have had to replace theirs. Part #9 in the diagram. Lift Gate for 2014 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The liftgate should only chime 3 times when it is about to close. It should not chime when opening so I believe that is an indication of a problem. If it only chimes 1 time when you hit the close button, that is another indication of a problem. If it is the actuator, it is something that you might be able to replace yourself. There is a video on how to replace the support strut but that one is not powered. It just helps to keep the 'gate' open.

Peter

Any ideas with this one? When you push the button the rear hatch doesn't always open it will click but wont open up this is intermittent though. Any fixes out there??

Any ideas with this one? When you push the button the rear hatch doesn't always open it will click but wont open up this is intermittent though. Any fixes out there??
Does it do this with all opening options? If you open it manually, does it stay up?

Peter

Well Peter and Narco...looks like I may have found the answer. My assumptions were correct. I purchased the Lift Support strut off of Ebay....new for $75. Just came in today. It was pretty easy to change it out. Problem is now GONE!! As I suspected, the strut was simply worn out. I will shortly put up a video to help other users of the same issue. I can't believe I couldn't find this issue and fix ANYWHERE on the net. The actuator (driver side) is only used to lift and lower the liftgate.....the support strut (passenger side) simply holds it up. Dealer wanted to charge $325 for parts and installation.... so I saved myself $250.......NICE!!!! Any questions, please feel free to ask. I am one happy camper!!
I wish I had seen this earlier! We have a 2017 explorer and had the same issue. Unfortunately the dealer will be paid $325 as I just saw this, and can’t run risk of kids getting slammed in trunk. Seems too new of a car to have this malfunction? But thank you for taking your time to post this. Very helpful!

My 2014 ford explorer liftgate has trouble opening and sometimes closing. When it is closed sometimes when I open it from the driver's seat or on the liftgate itself it unlocks the liftgate beeps and doesn't open. But when I click it again it opens no problem then when I close it and reopen it, it works fine. Also sometimes when I press the button when it is open to close it, it beeps and doesn't close. Earlier today I opened it with it doing the pressing of the button and nothing happening and when I went to close it, it beeps and doesn't close so I went and closed it manually and went back into the car when it said liftgate is still open when I was sure I closed it firmly and it was locked. The liftgate is able to open and close normally but most of the time it chooses not to. So I took it to ford to take a look at it but they said it would cost me $150 just to see what is wrong with it not including repair and parts!! Does anyone have a solution or know what's wrong? P.s I have reset the liftgate and the problem still persisted.
I'm having the exact same issue. Did you get this fixed? If so how did you go about it?

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you get this fixed? If so how did you go about it?
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since April 12, 2019. If you are also getting the beeps/tones when you try to open the liftgate, it is a sign that there is an issue, as you've found out. The tones should only sound when the 'gate' is about to close. Is your issue also intermittent?

Peter

Well Peter and Narco...looks like I may have found the answer. My assumptions were correct. I purchased the Lift Support strut off of Ebay....new for $75. Just came in today. It was pretty easy to change it out. Problem is now GONE!! As I suspected, the strut was simply worn out. I will shortly put up a video to help other users of the same issue. I can't believe I couldn't find this issue and fix ANYWHERE on the net. The actuator (driver side) is only used to lift and lower the liftgate.....the support strut (passenger side) simply holds it up. Dealer wanted to charge $325 for parts and installation.... so I saved myself $250.......NICE!!!! Any questions, please feel free to ask. I am one happy camper!!
Hi @mindmaniac , did you ever post the video of the solution? I would like to take a look. Also, let me know if this sounds familiar.

My liftgate stopped opening up automatically about 2 months ago regardless if I attempt to open from the FOB, rear button or from the interior lift button. I can hear the unlocking mechanism but no unlocking. The only way I can get it to open automatically is if I start to manually lift while pressing the rear button and then the strut will do the rest of the work, but it seems like it doesn't have the ability to get passed that first few inches on it's own. Closing the door from the fully open position however does work (I assume it's because it requires less force therefore less amperage therefore less load).

Does any of that sound familiar?

I'm almost at the point of buying a new power strut, but I want to make sure I've exhausted all possible issues.

fyi, 2014 ford explorer ltd

Also @peterk9 this is a little more explanation of my issues.

It does sound like the liftgate motor ("power strut") may be the issue here. 2011-2015 Ford Tailgate Pull Down Motor BB5Z-14B351-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
If ordering from these sites make sure you check compatibility by entering your VIN. The last link shows it is for the LEFT side.
Also available on eBay.

Peter

My 2016 left gate will open with the bottom but as soon as it gets to the top it drops down immediately and closes, as if there is not power. I’m guessing the actuator has gone bad but I was checking to see if it could be something else before I have buy a new and replace the current actuator. Any advice would much appreciate. - James

It opens automatically but as soon as it open completely is falls down quickly with no support.

It opens automatically but as soon as it open completely is falls down quickly with no support.
Thanks James. So if you open it manually, it won't stay up? That to me indicates a possible bad support cylinder as mentioned before.

Peter

I appreciate all the info gentleman. I’ll give that a shot and see if that remedies the issue.

Don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but also don't want to open yet another liftgate thread.

2014 Explorer Limited

Liftgate does not open nor close when any of the buttons are pressed: dash, interior liftgate button, exterior liftgate button, and also the fob button.

The latch assembly makes clicking and whirring noises. If I put upward pressure on the liftgate handle (as though I am opening it) and then press either the exterior liftgate button or the fob button, I am able to manually open the liftgate.
If I press the fob button and then attempt to pull on the liftgate handle (after the opening sequence seems to stall out), the liftgate is latched.

When attempting to open using any of the three buttons (dash, exterior liftgate button, or fob button) I get 3 chimes. When attempting to close (dash, interior liftgate button, the fob button) I get one chime.

The liftgate will remain open when I manually lift it to the max position.

It seems to me, this is an issue with the powered strut. But in reading the various posts here in the forum, I am also curious if it may be a sensor issue in the latch assembly.

I have attempted to set the opening height. I have disconnected the Battery in order to reset the liftgate module (though I did not do this while the liftgate was open - not sure if that makes a difference). neither of these operations had any effect on the problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The liftgate should NOT chime when opening and it should chime 3 times when powered close.
When you use the buttons to open it does it appear to unlatch? From your post, it seems it does not.
Once you have detached the 'gate' manually from the latch are you then able to use the fob button to power it open?
When you attempt to power close the 'gate' you stated you get only 1 chime but didn't say if it actually closed and latched.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The liftgate should NOT chime when opening and it should chime 3 times when powered close.
When you use the buttons to open it does it appear to unlatch? From your post, it seems it does not.
Once you have detached the 'gate' manually from the latch are you then able to use the fob button to power it open?
When you attempt to power close the 'gate' you stated you get only 1 chime but didn't say if it actually closed and latched.

Peter
Hi Peter,

If I am pulling on the door when activating the buttons, it unlatches. If I push buttons and wait for the process to stall out before pulling on the door, it remains latched and I need to activate the button again.

from the latch are you then able to use the fob button to power it open?
No, the door requires manual pushing and pulling to move.

"When you attempt to power close the 'gate' you stated you get only 1 chime but didn't say if it actually closed and latched."
The door doesn't close when any buttons are pushed. What does happen when the door is open, is that the latch cycles, and then the process stalls out and I need to manually close the gate. I just noticed that it actually chimes 3 times on an attempted close process.
It seems to me that the fact the latch cycles when the gate is open and I attempt to use the fob or the interior gate button to close the gate suggests to me that a sensor is pooched in the latch assembly.

Thanks for your help.
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that the liftgate motor isn't working. I don't know if there is a similar site in the BC Kootenay area.
For comparison, here is the same part on a U.S. site; 2011-2015 Ford Tailgate Pull Down Motor BB5Z-14B351-A | TascaParts.com
Good luck.

Peter

Back