2014 XLT 3.5L NA and other year model comparisons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 XLT 3.5L NA and other year model comparisons

AndyWills

Reaction score
City, State
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mitsubishi Montero 3.8
Hey there. I've saved up $18,000 to buy a new to me modern vehicle. I am really nervous because I will not be able to work on the motor much because they're so damn tight under the hood! Lol

I found a nice looking 2014 XLT 3.5L with 142,000 miles on it. It appears dry/clean underneath and sounds/drives well.

I am very wary of buying any newer vehicle with all the damn gadgets and excessive electronics on them, but we need a newer car for road trips and my spouse's daily driver. We've been driving two 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limiteds for the last 7 years, which we really enjoy but they're getting worn out and worldwide production stopped in 2021 so in 7-10 years parts and repair help will be near non-existent.

There aren't any maintenance records with it so I have no idea what was ever done to it.

I am going to call a dealer Monday with the VIN and run it. Maybe that will give me some information, and verify no open recalls.

What about timing and water pump issues? These have a chain in them correct? Does it ever need to be changed?

The small dealer is asking $14,900 and I got him to $14,200.

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Andy. :wave:
The water pump is an issue with the 5th gen since it is in the engine itself and in a few instances it has ruined the engine by leaking coolant into it.
I don't believe the timing chain has been as big of an issue and members usually have both changed if either part goes. The PTU is another area that should be considered for regular oil changes. Is the XLT AWD or FWD?
Have a look at the spare tire well for signs of water. Water leaks were also not an unknown issue with some Explorers.

Peter

If you PM me your vin I can run it today for you I'm actually online with Ford right now doing some online training (I'm a Ford technician). The two things we see on those is the water pump and the PTU, there's a small vent on top of the PTU some have a vent hose, and some don't if there are any signs of fluid coming out of that vent chances are the PTU is bad. There's also a small weep hole up behind the alternator that will seep coolant before the pump goes out, you can see it with a mirror on a stick but it's still hard to see if you don't know where to look.

Welcome to the Forum Andy. :wave:
The water pump is an issue with the 5th gen since it is in the engine itself and in a few instances it has ruined the engine by leaking coolant into it.
I don't believe the timing chain has been as big of an issue and members usually have both changed if either part goes. The PTU is another area that should be considered for regular oil changes. Is the XLT AWD or FWD?
Have a look at the spare tire well for signs of water. Water leaks were also not an unknown issue with some Explorers.

Peter
Hey there. Thanks!
it is AWD.

If you PM me your vin I can run it today for you I'm actually online with Ford right now doing some online training (I'm a Ford technician). The two things we see on those is the water pump and the PTU, there's a small vent on top of the PTU some have a vent hose, and some don't if there are any signs of fluid coming out of that vent chances are the PTU is bad. There's also a small weep hole up behind the alternator that will seep coolant before the pump goes out, you can see it with a mirror on a stick but it's still hard to see if you don't know where to look.
Thank you. I PM'd you.

Pricing on used (and new) vehicles is crazy right now, but personally, I'd not pay $14K for a 142K mi Explorer, but then like stated, pricing IS crazy, maybe that's in line with similar vehicles/mileage? I would keep looking, waiting, to jump on one that's got under 100K mi. Heh, my '14 has under 15K mi.

Take it to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

Open recalls, I wouldn't worry too much but it probably does have one for the rear toe link. My '14 had been scheduled on a waiting list to take in for that again - but has displayed no problems with it. Long story short it seems to mostly affect high stress situations in cold climates, can break the weld on the link so the fix is a single piece link or for now they just inspect to see how it's holding up.

I loved the 2014 XLT that I bought spring of 2018 with 99,000 miles on it. The only issue I had was that A/C compressors only lasted a couple of years. I had to put one in only a couple months after I bought it, then it went out again last summer (I let it go until I traded it in on my current vehicle ). Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure the A/C works because replacing the the "correct" way is a couple of grand.

Back