• Register Today It's free!

2015 Exp XLT - Stiff Steering

ABSTL

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hello all. I've got 2015 Explorer XLT with 75,000 miles. When the weather got real cold here a few weeks ago the steering started acting up. I thought it might be tire pressure. Not it. Then I checked for PS Fluid level...uh not it either!? I had no idea until I looked that these racks are electric on the newer models too. I've read a couple of threads on here about various issues but I thought I'd put it out here for some input. The stiffness loosened up as the engine warmed up so I figured maybe the electric motor on the rack might be effected by the cold in some way. Now its gotten warmer and its doing it again. There are no warning lights and no codes. I did replace a Vapor Canister Purge Valve Solenoid recently too. I removed the negative battery cable to clear that dash warning light and code. The only code at the time was for the Purge Solenoid too. Its also got a tow package and I've done some light towing with it and was wondering if a computer box is in someway acting up so I called a dealer this week to set up a diagnostic appointment. He asked me how old the battery was. Its older but not showing any signs of weakness or problems. I don't think its a ground issue as I rechecked the battery terminal clamp and its clean and tight. I'd think I'd have other issues too if it was ground problem too.
Wouldn't a code show for a failing Power Steering Control Module or Rack? It seems like from what I'm reading in the forum that the rack is going out though.

I just junked a 02 Explorer XLS with 250,000 miles. I'm getting the feeling this one may not make that

Allan

Back