• Register Today It's free!

Steering Stiff

tmanstls

Reaction score
City, State
Wood River, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
When I turn the steering wheel the feeling is stiff easy stiff easy as if the powering steering is intermittently kicking in. I have replaced the Rack and Pinoin, Tie Rods, Upper and Lower Ball joints on both sides, and replaced fluid in Power Steering pump resevoir with no remedy. About once a month for only 2 days it will work just fine and then back to the same problem. I bought a rebuild kit for the Power Steering pump. Before I go through that, has anyone else had this problem or might know where elese to look.

Thanks,
TMAN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you eliminated everything else. Check your alignment. That can sometimes cause stiff steering, but I doubt like that (stiff then easy, then stiff again). Good luck

-Drew

What type of fluid are you using? Are you loosing any over a period? Is the pump noisier than usual when you have the problem?

It's the pump. If you think about it you've replaced everything else! The P/S system is real simple and you've eliminated everything else.

My 96 did that and it was the power sterring pump and basiclly the rest of the front end....You sould like you have replaced all the front end issues, and might be the pump that needs replacing.

No loss of fluid from the pump. Should I replace it or try the rebuild kit for it?

Well, I replaced the pump but the problem still remains. I am at a loss. Any more suggestions would be great.

dumb idea could there be an air lock in it some where? We are having the same problem with ours.

How did this turn out did yolu solve it?

i think you turn the wheel all the way one direction and then all the way the other to eliminate air lock

it hepls to jack front wheels off
gournd while turnning steering
wheel left and right all the way hard

We just fixed my wife's truck. Check you knuckle in the steering shaft. Our's was seezed. We freed it up and libed the sh*t out of it and is good for now till we can get a new one.

We just fixed my wife's truck. Check you knuckle in the steering shaft. Our's was seezed. We freed it up and libed the sh*t out of it and is good for now till we can get a new one.

how did you free it up?

spray lube, engine oil,lots of elbow grease moving it around untill it was finally free moving. then we worked lots of grease into it for now till we can afford a new one. Limited work right now so money tight. lol

worked like a charm for me. i got instant results with just a shot of wd 40 in the boot on the firewall. yes!!!!

Back