2015 Explorer Power Fold Mirror Clicking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Power Fold Mirror Clicking

jgarko

Reaction score
City, State
Seminole, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer limited
Love my new 2015 Explorer Limited. The passenger side mirror makes a clicking noise when folding in? All seems to work okay. But I know the clicking sound is trouble ahead. Time for a warranty visit. Comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it is working fine going in and out but only clicks when going in? I had my passenger clicking but not moving a couple weeks ago but that's because someone who was walking by it (front to rear) must have bumped it because it was folded all the way in but the drivers was out. Took about 3 tries with the button for it to grab and not click and been fine ever since.

Love my new 2015 Explorer Limited. The passenger side mirror makes a clicking noise when folding in? All seems to work okay. But I know the clicking sound is trouble ahead. Time for a warranty visit. Comments?

Welcome to the forum, jgarko; congrats on your new Explorer! I'd bring up this noise to your dealership so they can check things out. If you don't want to make a special trip, you can always mention it the next time you're in for a maintenance visit. Let me know if you need any additional assistance; I'll be here. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Noticed the same thing on my sport, been meaning to have service look at it but just keep forgetting about it. When I have them look at it I'll let you know if they find anything wrong with it.

Thanks to all that replied. And thanks Crystal for the warm welcome. Need an oil change in May, I will bring up the issue then. Actually both mirrors make a clicking noise while operating. The right side on closing and the left when extending out. Followed the resyncing procedure with no change. I would think the operation should be smooth... a little motor hum maybe... but smooth and quiet in both directions. Mine are not.

Oh well. I still love my Ford!

Noticed the same thing on my sport, been meaning to have service look at it but just keep forgetting about it. When I have them look at it I'll let you know if they find anything wrong with it.

Thanks for offering to update us, alexk! I'm here if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that replied. And thanks Crystal for the warm welcome. Need an oil change in May, I will bring up the issue then...

You're quite welcome, jgarko! Let us know what you find out in May; I'll continue to monitor this thread in case you'd like me to step in and assist.

Crystal

There is a procedure in the owners manual to re-synch the mirrors. You might try that.

There is a procedure in the owners manual to re-synch the mirrors. You might try that.
That was tried with no luck. See post 6.

Peter

Tks Peter for the info. Like I said the mirrirs work.. no problem. But there should not be a clicking sound during operation. Sounds like a plastic gear hitting something or???? I just do not want a failure later in time. Like when the warranty runs out!!

Tks Peter for the info. Like I said the mirrirs work.. no problem. But there should not be a clicking sound during operation. Sounds like a plastic gear hitting something or???? I just do not want a failure later in time. Like when the warranty runs out!!
Yes, don't wait too long. Something doesn't seem right. I don't recall mine making any noise.

Peter

An update to my original post. The dealer added shims to the power mirror assembly. All is good. No clicking noise when retracting. I love my Ford!!

Wheres the motor that powers the mirrors folding in and out? In diagram from Ford dealer only shows motor behind actual mirror glass, $100.00 parts.. Is it the same motor that moves mirror up/down/left/right that folds in mirrors?Or what is the part number for the motor that folds in the mirrors in parking lots etc..

Kevin, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.
I'm thinking there are 2 motors since the one I found here seems to be for the glass adjustment; Outside Mirrors for 2015 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
Have not found the motor for the folding mirror. This shows the mirrors on page 2; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
I searched on a Limited trim since you haven't added the trim to your profile yet.

Peter

Back