2015 Ford Explorer Limited stalling at intersections/idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Limited stalling at intersections/idle

PatTauber93

Reaction score
City, State
Gurnee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello all,

Explorer is at 82000 miles and have had no accidents.

I am currently in a pickle. I am having an issue with my explorer stalling in dangerous spots. I will be driving in the morning, and typically in intermittent stop and go traffic, after about 25 min of driving, my car will start having weird issues where the accelerator feels slightly jumpy. Next I will be pulling up to an intersection(so far has only happened at intersections for whatever reason) and my car will die as I am slowing to make my a left turn or will die as i break at the light. By die, I mean the engine will shut off, everything else remains active. it only seems to happen once a day and in the morning. Once the engine loses power and I can no longer accelerate, the "low engine oil pressure" notice pops up. I can then put in neutral/park and start the car right up again with no issues.

After this happened a second time, I brought it to my local dealership. Now I have the Premium Ford ESP warranty, so I left my car with Ford for a whole week, they did an oil change(without my permission) and did all their checks, which is passed, a few times they claimed. They then said they couldn't duplicate the issue and that it was more than likely fixed.

So I picked up the car. That next day the same issue happened and I almost got rear ended.
At this point, I returned the vehicle to Ford service to have them look at it again and they had it for another week and still said they couldn't replicate the issue. so i picked it up again.

Then it seems to stop for a few days, but then yesterday, It died out mid intersection while I was making a left turn. Thankfully, oncoming traffic noticed and slowed down so I could restart the car and move out of the way, had they not, I would be dead or seriously injured right now. At this point, I just get nervous at all to drive my car.

I call up the manager of Ford service, tell him the scenario I am in, and he basically says "we cant replicate the issue, and I am wasting their time and money having them try to fix it". Then tells me to take it to Auto-zone and see if they can pull any codes off it. Despite the ridiculous request, I do this, but their computers pull up no error codes.

So now I ask you, what should I do and has anyone had any experience with this.
I spent a couple thousand on this extended warranty, so I dont want to take it to private mechanic if I dont have too, but at this point my wife and I's life is at risk.
Do i try another Ford dealership? Do I go to a private mechanic? Or do I ride it out until something actually fails and they have something to work with?

Any and all insight helps.

Thanks,

Pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Pat.:wave:
This is the problem with intermittent issues. It is very possible that the techs were not able to replicate the problem as you stated that it happens after about 25 minutes of driving. If you are able to replicate the issue almost at will, then it might help if you could get a tech to drive with you. But then you stated that after it happens and you restart the vehicle that it then runs fine. Perhaps the only way for them to experience it is for one of them to take the vehicle home with them. Has this issue happened more than once a day? Almost sounds like an intermittent fuel delivery issue.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the quick response!

So, they had it for the 2 weeks, and the service manager said he took it home for few days and drove it around shopping/work/ect with no issues. It only seems to happen once a day, but I am anticipating it will start to increase as time goes on. Not quite sure what to do :(

Find a dealer that has a data recorder that can leave in your car for a day or two. It will record all parameters when the event happens and the dealer will be able to see what is happening.

Find a dealer that has a data recorder then can leave in your car for a day or two. It will record all parameters when the event happens and the dealer will be able to see what is happening.

OP, do this ^

Your dealer is being a little lazy to fully troubleshoot the issue. A data recorder will give a good tech all the info required to fix your problem.

Hello all,

Explorer is at 82000 miles and have had no accidents.

I am currently in a pickle. I am having an issue with my explorer stalling in dangerous spots. I will be driving in the morning, and typically in intermittent stop and go traffic, after about 25 min of driving, my car will start having weird issues where the accelerator feels slightly jumpy. Next I will be pulling up to an intersection(so far has only happened at intersections for whatever reason) and my car will die as I am slowing to make my a left turn or will die as i break at the light. By die, I mean the engine will shut off, everything else remains active. it only seems to happen once a day and in the morning. Once the engine loses power and I can no longer accelerate, the "low engine oil pressure" notice pops up. I can then put in neutral/park and start the car right up again with no issues.

After this happened a second time, I brought it to my local dealership. Now I have the Premium Ford ESP warranty, so I left my car with Ford for a whole week, they did an oil change(without my permission) and did all their checks, which is passed, a few times they claimed. They then said they couldn't duplicate the issue and that it was more than likely fixed.

So I picked up the car. That next day the same issue happened and I almost got rear ended.
At this point, I returned the vehicle to Ford service to have them look at it again and they had it for another week and still said they couldn't replicate the issue. so i picked it up again.

Then it seems to stop for a few days, but then yesterday, It died out mid intersection while I was making a left turn. Thankfully, oncoming traffic noticed and slowed down so I could restart the car and move out of the way, had they not, I would be dead or seriously injured right now. At this point, I just get nervous at all to drive my car.

I call up the manager of Ford service, tell him the scenario I am in, and he basically says "we cant replicate the issue, and I am wasting their time and money having them try to fix it". Then tells me to take it to Auto-zone and see if they can pull any codes off it. Despite the ridiculous request, I do this, but their computers pull up no error codes.

So now I ask you, what should I do and has anyone had any experience with this.
I spent a couple thousand on this extended warranty, so I dont want to take it to private mechanic if I dont have too, but at this point my wife and I's life is at risk.
Do i try another Ford dealership? Do I go to a private mechanic? Or do I ride it out until something actually fails and they have something to work with?

Any and all insight helps.

Thanks,

Pat
Hey Pat,

did you ever get a solution to this? Our 2015 Ford Explorer is doing the exact same thing and the dealer can’t figure it out.
Thanks!

When the vehicle is hot and having this problem try to get it to idle in park (or have someone sit with their foot on the gas pedal). Pop the hood and listen for a whistle or loud air whooshing. I've had this issue on a much older vehicle and it turned out to be a vacuum leak.

Hey Pat,

did you ever get a solution to this? Our 2015 Ford Explorer is doing the exact same thing and the dealer can’t figure it out.
Thanks!
Anyone ever figure out what this issue was. My 2015 is now doing it.

Most the time if it does it when hot it's a cam timing issue. Hard to diag if there's no codes though. Oil condition is everything for the timing. Make sure your not loosing any coolant, if the water pump is starting to go, it could be binding up on the timing causing this issue. Try adding half a bottle of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase to see if it makes a difference. Had a situation on a 2016 f150 recently where this actually resolved the stalling and p0012 cam code issue. It had 228k and I already replaced the solenoids and it was a last ditch effort before I did the phasers.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on May 7, 2021, so likely is no longer following this thread.

Peter

Back