• Register Today It's free!

2015 rear CV axle play

Maaadman3

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Had to create an account because I cannot find any info on this thing (even searching on the site, everything comes up from old models, not helpful)
Girlfriend was complaining of a clunking and a vibration while driving on the highway last two days (it's her vehicle), finally got to take it for a drive myself, sound is definitely coming from the passenger rear side. Got up underneath to shake the CV, I can hear the clunk I heard while driving when I move the axle laterally, there is no vertical play in the axle. What am I possibly looking at here?
Refuse to take this to the dealer because they've already screwed us on the extended warranty and gotten more money than they should have out of us. I'm mechanically inclined so it's not a matter of difficulty, just a matter of knowing what parts to get and what costs I'm expecting.

Can someone please help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate it, but unfortunately it doesn't. Finding the parts is no problem, diagnosing what is causing this is the part I need help with.
It was the parts I was referring to as I don't have the other answer you're seeking. There are several threads here having to do with CV joints but most of them were regarding the front ones. I'm not sure what you meant by "old models" when you searched. If you are talking about previous generations then you didn't limit your 'Search' to the 5th gen. Did you use the 'Search' feature at the top right?

Peter

It was the parts I was referring to as I don't have the other answer you're seeking. There are several threads here having to do with CV joints but most of them were regarding the front ones. I'm not sure what you meant by "old models" when you searched. If you are talking about previous generations then you didn't limit your 'Search' to the 5th gen. Did you use the 'Search' feature at the top right?

Peter
Yes I did, everything that comes up to do with the rears is for the 2005 and older models.

Yes I did, everything that comes up to do with the rears is for the 2005 and older models.
You have to limit your search to the 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer.
I click on Search, then Advanced search then select Search Threads. Enter your Keywords then scroll down to Search in forums and select the one I mentioned. Then scroll down and check Display results as threads

Peter

You have to limit your search to the 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer.
I click on Search, then Advanced search then select Search Threads. Enter your Keywords then scroll down to Search in forums and select the one I mentioned. Then scroll down and check Display results as threads

Peter
Just searched through the threads that come up, nothing to do with the problem I'm currently having. Hoping someone that might be had this issue can chime in.
Have a ford tech friend that's going to look into it this weekend, but girlfriend needs a way to get to work as we work very different hours.

Good luck. Hope someone can help out.

If you can recreate the sound with the axle, I’d replace the axle.

If you can recreate the sound with the axle, I’d replace the axle.
But the axle itself doesn't have any play in the joints that's why I want to confirm. If it's the axle, I'll replace it, if it's in the diff, she's going to be shopping for a new vehicle.

I can't offer a solution but I have a bit of the same problem, only when going over uneven surfaces, like pulling out of a parking lot onto a street. That's the only time I hear the noise. If there's someone out there that can offer a solution, I'd certainly be interested also.

Maaadman3 - although you didn't say, I suspect the play you have is in a lateral direction (side to side movement of the axle) ?? Or is it rotation of the axle itself ??

Got up underneath to shake the CV, I can hear the clunk I heard while driving when I move the axle laterally, there is no vertical play in the axle. What am I possibly looking at here?

I can't offer a solution but I have a bit of the same problem, only when going over uneven surfaces, like pulling out of a parking lot onto a street. That's the only time I hear the noise. If there's someone out there that can offer a solution, I'd certainly be interested also.

Maaadman3 - although you didn't say, I suspect the play you have is in a lateral direction (side to side movement of the axle) ?? Or is it rotation of the axle itself ??
It is lateral. A friend of mine is a ford tech, took it to him yesterday to check it out. There's a little play on the inner joint of the CV on both sides in the rear. The noise resonates worse than it actually is. So I have both CVs ordered, couple weeks I'll be replacing them. I'll update you when it's done.

Back