Ford TSB for CV axle "clunk" noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford TSB for CV axle "clunk" noise

dont slow down

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth City NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited
I was just at the Ford dealer having a few warranty items fixed and told them about a slight "clunk" noise coming from the front wheels when I pulled into my driveway. It would happen with the wheels turned to the right as I went up the small bump from the gutter. I read here on the forums that sway bar links have been problems so I asked them to look at it. After a bit they took me out to the shop and showed me the problem. It appears that the CV axle has a bit of play where the splined shaft enters the transmission. TSB 14-0186 instructs to install a metal and nylon washer between the housing and shaft to take up the play. After driving home I can confirm the clunk is now gone from the right wheel but also made it very apparent the left side is doing it to. So I will have to take it back to have them do the left. I read through the TSB sticky and this one was not in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm when I check for recalls on my VIN nothing comes up, and my service papers specifically state a TSB number.

Hmm when I check for recalls on my VIN nothing comes up, and my service papers specifically state a TSB number.
A TSB is not a recall so it won't show up when you check for recalls. On further checking it appears that my post about the recall 14S10 is for a different issue. It is for the right-side half shaft retention clip that may not have been fully engaged, and could allow the half shaft to separate. Sorry for the confusion. I'll go back and straighten out my previous post under the Recall thread.

Peter

After a few days the "clunk" came back, assumed it was the left side but noticed when I rocked the steering wheel back and forth it was very prominent. Took it into the dealer today and got a call back saying the rack and pinion was shot and being replaced under warranty.

Back