• Register Today It's free!

2016/2017 Smoke Tail lights?

BZJam

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I just got a 2017 Explorer but it doesn't have the smoke tail lights. I called the dealer and asked how much and they told me $850 each. I found some online and they are like $400. Are there any other options besides adding tint to them? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a 2017 Explorer but it doesn't have the smoke tail lights. I called the dealer and asked how much and they told me $850 each. I found some online and they are like $400. Are there any other options besides adding tint to them? Thanks.
The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature. I used it and only found a couple of posts where the tail lamps were darkened and both used a tint. I am sure there may be others.
In this thread I just found the member 'blacked out' his XLT including tail lamps but he didn't say what he used. You could always send him a message and ask.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-blacked-out-14.409188/

Peter

Thanks. Yeah I tried the search feature. It's illegal here in Texas to add Tint to your lights but if they are purchased that way its ok. Yeah I know it doesn't make sense but thats the law. So I have to find them already tinted. I'll check out that vendor. Thanks for the referral.

Hi. Did you happen to find a vendor for the smoked light film? I was able to find headlight film but not tail light for 2017 explorer

If you want to find smoked tail lights and not break the bank, call your local salvage yard. Ask if they have any 2016-2017 Explorer Sport tail lights.

I'm going to have my x sports tinted a little more next week along with the bumper reflectors. Slowly getting around to getting some cosmetics done.

Hi. I am assuming you mean the actual light and not the light cover? I could not finding covers and tried the film which was too dark and very difficult to apply because the lights wrap around the corner. I don't want to have to replace the light.

Hi. I am assuming you mean the actual light and not the light cover? I could not finding covers and tried the film which was too dark and very difficult to apply because the lights wrap around the corner. I don't want to have to replace the light.
Welcome to the Forum Ryan.:wave:
I believe he is referring to the entire tail lamp assembly. BTW, those $830.97 ones are now down to $548.44 each.

Peter

I had mine painted. The guy used black paint mixed with clear and then a clearcoat. Came out perfect.

20160805_152741 - Copy.jpg

I see you have new york plates. Where are you located? I would like to get my tail lights done. They look great painted.
I'm in the Putnam/Westchester area. I brought my Explorer to have a wrap put on at Whipskin in Bedford Hills, NY. They had them done.

Back