Sonar Smoked Tail Light Question Please Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sonar Smoked Tail Light Question Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all on the Forum!

So...I just got pulled over by a hard @** cop, and he said my tail lights are illegal because they aren't DOT approved. I see his point becuase they don't say anywhere on the housing that they are DOT approved. He said they can be smoked, but since they don't say "DOT" they are illegal..

I have Sonar Projectors on my Explorer, and at the bottom of the lens, it says "DOT". I'm interested in these tail lights, but my question is does anyone know if they say "DOT" anywhere on them??

Here's a link to the site I'd be getting them from.

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Lighting...ights--Smoke----95-97-Ford-Explorer-7653.html

Now under the FAQ section, it does say that all Sonar brand Tail Lights are DOT approved, I just want to make sure its marked on the tail lights themselves before I purchase them.

Attachments

• ALT-YD-FEXP95-SM.jpg
    ALT-YD-FEXP95-SM.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 567

I think your best bet would be to call the customer service department and see if they can look into it for you. They should be able to pull a pair and look. Not sure you're going to find someone with the EXACT pair on here to give you accurate info, even if they think it might be the same pair - there are a lot of different manufacturers for these types of lights. Good luck!

and should be street legal in most communities.

thats from there web site, so they are not DOT approved.

I think your best bet would be to call the customer service department and see if they can look into it for you. They should be able to pull a pair and look. Not sure you're going to find someone with the EXACT pair on here to give you accurate info, even if they think it might be the same pair - there are a lot of different manufacturers for these types of lights. Good luck!

Good idea!

I also found this on the website:

"Are these Ford Explorer tail lights street legal?
As far as we know the Sonar (aka Spyder) and KS (Anzo) brand tail lights on our website are all street legal as mandated by federal law in the United States. This basically means that they are designed to the specifications set forth by the DOT (United States Department of Transportation). Occasionally, DOT might test models for compliance. If any Ford Explorer taillights fail (rare) DOT will have the companies issue a recall. For those tail lens, you can return them to us for a refund. For any other brands besides Sonar (aka Spyder) and KS (aka Anzo), we can not guarantee DOT compliance. Also, please be advised that your local laws that may disallow these sorts of taillights to be used."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back