• Register Today It's free!

2016-2019 Ecoboost PIU

Volksjager

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU EB
So I sold my 2013 3.7 and I’m picking up a newer Ecoboost PIU. It’s at 70k so I’m thinking coolant, trans, PTU and rear diff fluid changes. Changing the plugs was a PITA on the 3.7 but I’ll probably do it too. Also thinking oil catch can. Never installed one so recommendations would be great. Also thinking about a tune. Anyone running one and if so how do you like it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several threads on catch cans in the Discussion and Modified subforums on the catch can you should be able to find with the 'Search' feature at the upper right. Good luck.

Peter

Does anyone have a part number for a cold air intake 2016 P.I.U. 3.5 EcoBoost? And anyone tried repurposing the LEDs? I'm new to this and any info I could get would be great!

Does anyone have a part number for a cold air intake 2016 P.I.U. 3.5 EcoBoost? And anyone tried repurposing the LEDs? I'm new to this and any info I could get would be great!

You gotta be more specific. What leds and what are you looking to do

You gotta be more specific. What leds and what are you looking to do
Well for starters the front bumper has lights Almost look like fog lights. And there are 2 in the grille as well. Would be great if I could use them together as fog lights.

Well for starters the front bumper has lights Almost look like fog lights. And there are 2 in the grille as well. Would be great if I could use them together as fog lights.
If i had to bet, i’d bet they're not going to be the right color for fogs. Usually 4 to 5 wire light. Red and black you know. Blue youll touch to ground to set the flash pattern. If there isnt a control box you can get one or use rocker switches. What are doing power wise? I ask because you mentioned wanting a CAI.

Spend money on a tune and 3 bar map before buying a CAI. Catch can is recommended on direct injected turbo engines. Very easily to install.

I have stock air box with above mods + boomba VTA mod and it makes nice noises

Spend money on a tune and 3 bar map before buying a CAI. Catch can is recommended on direct injected turbo engines. Very easily to install.

I have stock air box with above mods + boomba VTA mod and it makes nice noises
Your mileage will vary on the catch can. It can cause codes. Mine unscrewed itself which basically creates a vacuum leak. I just put in a drop in AEM filter. Its louder than stock and is pretty free flowing. Im sure if you google cold air intakes for explorers you'll find a few places that sell them.
I havent installed my tune yet because i haven't installed my dp or 3 bar map. 5 star (where i got the BDX from) wouldnt provide a tune for the 3 bar even though they sell it. I had to buy a tune from GH tuning.

I'm gonna look into everything you just told me. I've found quite a few locations where there are bundles of wires capped off or gutted switches still attached. I am working out of town without a printer. I need a wiring diagram so I can start identifying what wire is what. Think for starters I will try my damndest to install rear door speakers. I am almost positive there aren't speakers covered up in the 2016s. Hoping there are at least wires but probably not.

If i had to bet, i’d bet they're not going to be the right color for fogs. Usually 4 to 5 wire light. Red and black you know. Blue youll touch to ground to set the flash pattern. If there isnt a control box you can get one or use rocker switches. What are doing power wise? I ask because you mentioned wanting a CAI.
Where could I find this control box? Power wise? Eventually I would like to have everything. For now I will look into the tune. I already ordered a separator. First and foremost going to tackle my stereo. 2 front door speakers just don't cut it.

Where could I find this control box? Power wise? Eventually I would like to have everything. For now I will look into the tune. I already ordered a separator. First and foremost going to tackle my stereo. 2 front door speakers just don't cut it.
You have rear speakers. You can take off the door card and there is an outline to drill holes. I’ve hooked up an amp and sub. There isnt much more that can be done with 2016 radios and up.

Not saying there aren't speakers. I haven't looked yet. No sound at all with ear pressed to door panel and the wiring diagram I have only shows 2 front speakers from factory. Hope you are correct. Will save some work for sure. I had a chance to get hands on with the android 13.6" and 12" with latest 128 Gig Rom/6Gig Ram setup yesterday. I am definitely considering having one made. 3 year warranty. $875 price tag. Sounded and performed well I was impressed. There are so many out there I think you have to put some time into finding one with what you want and researching every component/ chipset etc in it. I will keep you posted as to what I decide. I am an electrician so I'll get something done if I have to gut it and fab everything myself.

Yeah, let me know when its done. I really dont like the factory headunit. My 13 piu was able to get a nee headunit via dash kit from metra

FYI, Everyone told me that there were gonna be rear door speakers , just covered up.. Wrong. The 2016's do not have rear door speakers but the wires are there. Guess they stopped putting the rear speakers in the 2016s. 2015s had em.

FYI, Everyone told me that there were gonna be rear door speakers , just covered up.. Wrong. The 2016's do not have rear door speakers but the wires are there. Guess they stopped putting the rear speakers in the 2016s. 2015s had em.
Yours were removed by whoever upfitted it for its original owner.

Back