2016 Base, no marker lights?

Vopogon

Reaction score
City, State
Beaufort SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer V6 Base
hey all.

I’ve scoured the internet looking for answers and even called a few ford dealers to no avail. My 2016 Base model explorer marker lights don’t function at all. I’ve checked all fuses, the manual, the settings in the car, even called ford and they say that the lights should be working. Do any of y’all have a resource where I can troubleshoot this issue? Or perhaps know something I don’t? I think it’s likely a wiring problem given I’ve exhausted other issues, but I want to try my hand at it before I go and get charged an arm and a leg at a mechanic or dealer for such a seemingly small issue.

I should add that I bought this one used so I don’t know if they have ever worked. Aren’t these standard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
By marker lights are you referring to the 2 small LED lights on the side of the housings, front and back?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
By marker lights are you referring to the 2 small LED lights on the side of the housings, front and back?

Peter

Negative, I suppose it would be the daytime running lights, the long white ones. I blame the cold meds haha my bad.

The DRL are on the low beams. Some trims have the LED Signature Lights. There is an LED band that goes partially around the front headlamps. The Base trim does not have these.

Peter

Signature.JPG

The base model didn't have functional white LED strips--sorry.

If you have a base model, the 2016 should have only amber lighting for marker lights. Two tiny LEDs at the side, and the turn signals should have 'traditional' parking lamp illumination when the headlights/parking lamps are on.

If you want Daytime Running Lights, the low beams can be activated at reduced intensity.

Negative, I suppose it would be the daytime running lights, the long white ones. I blame the cold meds haha my bad.

Those are signature lights, base models and PIUs don't have those.

Those are signature lights, base models and PIUs don't have those.

Interesting. So the strips that are currently there are just non functional and unable to reprogrammed? Can they just be replaced?

Interesting. So the strips that are currently there are just non functional and unable to reprogrammed? Can they just be replaced?
Just to confirm that you are referring to those in my picture in post #4? I just the AutoNation Ford parts site and the headlamp housings for the Base and the Platinum trims are the same part numbers. Therefore I'm guessing that the LED strip may not be there and if it is it isn't wired up. The headlamps are probably the same across all trims but functionality differs.

Peter

Just to confirm that you are referring to those in my picture in post #4? I just the AutoNation Ford parts site and the headlamp housings for the Base and the Platinum trims are the same part numbers. Therefore I'm guessing that the LED strip may not be there and if it is it isn't wired up. The headlamps are probably the same across all trims but functionality differs.

Peter

I was, as mine seem exactly the same (apart from the whole lack of light). However, I have no idea about whether it's wired or even has bulbs inside.

The actual LEDs are not in there, but yes, you can replace the whole headlight with a higher-line unit.

The actual LEDs are not in there, but yes, you can replace the whole headlight with a higher-line unit.

Thank you for the info. That's a real bummer, won't be cheap. I assume adding in the LEDs is just not worth it over getting a new set of headlights?

Thank you for the info. That's a real bummer, won't be cheap. I assume adding in the LEDs is just not worth it over getting a new set of headlights?

I would just swap the headlights, maybe try to find some used ones.

^ I'm not sure if they're just plug and play, either. At a minimum the wiring is different between the two and the BCM may approach the two parts differently.

Back