2016 Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost Idle Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost Idle Issue

Jeffreylynn

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I have a 2016 Explorer when in gear foot on brake like at a stop sign idles low 500 rpm or less and acts as if it wants to shut down. Recently had to replace transmission but had the idle issue prior to and after replacement. Have eliminated vacuum, plugs, coils, injection cleaning as potential causes. Also had Ford dealer reflash PCM. Dealer wants to say it is torgue converter drag but transmission shop checked with their scan tools and said torque converter was performing correctly. Also highly unlikely two different converters have the same issue. Computer shows no codes pending or otherwise. At wits end anyone have an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I believe your year of Ecoboost engine has a single fuel injector GDI system. These engines often have carbon buildup on the intake valves. The carbon can build up to the point that rough idling/running can occur. It is not easy to remove the carbon but some intake cleaning products can remove enough to solve the problems this can create. Also, it is not uncommon for this condition to throw off no codes or ones that don't tell you where the real problem lies.

I think Ford switched to the dual injector design in 2017 which placed an injector just before each intake valve. This injector sprays occasionally to wash the carbon off the valves which keeps it from building up.

I believe your year of Ecoboost engine has a single fuel injector GDI system. These engines often have carbon buildup on the intake valves. The carbon can build up to the point that rough idling/running can occur. It is not easy to remove the carbon but some intake cleaning products can remove enough to solve the problems this can create. Also, it is not uncommon for this condition to throw off no codes or ones that don't tell you where the real problem lies.

I think Ford switched to the dual injector design in 2017 which placed an injector just before each intake valve. This injector sprays occasionally to wash the carbon off the valves which keeps it from building up.

I had a three part fuel induction system service performed with no change to idle issue. Also the car runs great when under way. Problem only when stopped in gear with foot on brake. I ask dealer if not torque converter then what. They basically had no answer except possibly the pcm.

Just throwing a guess out there, maybe throttle body?

Just throwing a guess out there, maybe throttle body?
Really hoping someone had seen this exact issue before. Trying to avoid just throwing anymore money at it without a good chance of it fixing the problem. At this point considering taking a whupping and trading it as is. Benn one of those never seen it before problems which is hard to believe with the numbers of these vehicles on the road.

I had a three part fuel induction system service performed with no change to idle issue. Also the car runs great when under way. Problem only when stopped in gear with foot on brake. I ask dealer if not torque converter then what. They basically had no answer except possibly the pcm.

The only way to confirm if this is a problem is to look at a few intake valves with a scope. From what I have seen from tests showing the effectiveness of the treatments is they don't work all that well and can take multiple applications to remove enough deposits to see a difference. Some of the intake valves I have seen have a massive amount of carbon built up on them. This isn't only a problem with Ford Ecoboost engines with one injector per cylinder. Many other brands have the same problem. These videos give some good information regarding this problem on the 2.3L Ecoboost engines.

The only way to confirm if this is a problem is to look at a few intake valves with a scope. From what I have seen from tests showing the effectiveness of the treatments is they don't work all that well and can take multiple applications to remove enough deposits to see a difference. Some of the intake valves I have seen have a massive amount of carbon built up on them. This isn't only a problem with Ford Ecoboost engines with one injector per cylinder. Many other brands have the same problem. These videos give some good information regarding this problem on the 2.3L Ecoboost engines.

Thanks for the info. Would the the carboned up valves only create an issue at idle. Seems like it would show itself at other conditions while driving. Hesitation, skipping, or fuel mileage.

I can't say if this is causing your issues. It could be either causing your problem or contributing to it. Did you watch the second video? He talks about his experience with symptoms and the results of removing carbon from certain intake valves. Also, listen to his comments on the effects of carbon deposits regarding turbo failure.

I am currently experiencing the same symptoms and going through the same issues. In pursuit of a solution Ford fixed my gas tank (some seal), Transmission mounts (not an expert but never heard of these), Tune up with plug change, another fuel system repair, more I cant remember. I have had my car in about 6 times and tomorrow it goes back for #7. I have noticed slight improvements with each repair but over all the issue remains constant. I do also notice some "sputtering" during driving and acceleration.

Last time it was in they noticed carbon in one cylinder greater than the others and theorized it may be a fuel injector.

I am checking the videos now and hopefully there is enough there to point them in the right direction.
I would ask anyone here, my wife had a 2003 Mazda 6 when Mazda was owned by Ford, and she had similar issues which ended up being one of the coils. This couldn't be similar to that?

Thanks in advance and I hope some info I shared may help others.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Which engine do you have?

Peter

Did anyone figure out what the problem was?
My 2016 2.3 eco boost is doing the same thing. Unbelievably it turned out to be the torque converter dragging. Against all odds the original TC and the one that came with my rebuilt transmission purchased from American Transmission in Jacksonville Fla. had the same issue. American replaced the transmission and torque converter under warranty and the problem is solved. I just received correspondence from Ford that they now recognize the torque converter problem as an issue and have issued a recall. To late for me but if you have the same issue I would take to Ford now before it causes transmission failure.

My 2016 2.3 eco boost is doing the same thing. Unbelievably it turned out to be the torque converter dragging. Against all odds the original TC and the one that came with my rebuilt transmission purchased from American Transmission in Jacksonville Fla. had the same issue. American replaced the transmission and torque converter under warranty and the problem is solved. I just received correspondence from Ford that they now recognize the torque converter problem as an issue and have issued a recall. To late for me but if you have the same issue I would take to Ford now before it causes transmission failure.
I had the Recall implemented on mine. It reduced the knocking, but it is still there. Did it work for you?

It is the 2.3-liter EcoBoost
I have a 2.3 explorer also it’s the engine mount designed it’s the stupidest thing I’ve seen the torque strut mount is a weld metal and tends to Bend over time you would have to weld a 4 th mouth to the front sub frame it’s ridiculously insane how much I paid for a suv with 3 engine mounts what a joke they should have a recall

I have a 2.3 explorer also it’s the engine mount designed it’s the stupidest thing I’ve seen the torque strut mount is a weld metal and tends to Bend over time you would have to weld a 4 th mouth to the front sub frame it’s ridiculously insane how much I paid for a suv with 3 engine mounts what a joke they should have a recall
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That's one long sentence.;)

Peter

Back