2016 Model with 2.3 EcoBoost - Is there a MAF sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Model with 2.3 EcoBoost - Is there a MAF sensor?

almason86

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Base Model
Hi All

Hopefully someone here can clear this up. We have a 2016 Explorer with the 2.3 liter EB engine. I don't know what the trim of the vehicle is unfortunately but its pretty basic. 6 speed AT and electronic waste-gate on the turbo.

Am I right in thinking these engines DONT have a MAF sensor? instead they use Speed-Density based airflow calculations in the ECU?

If so does anyone know if this information is gleanable from the CAN bus?

Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

It appears they do have one because I found them and the OEM part #'s listed on Rock Auto, and also saw a compatibility listing on O Reilly auto parts, appears this same sensor is used in quite a lot of Fords of similar model year.

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 8V2Z12B579A, AFLS195

Something about airflow rate is going to be available using a scan tool capable of ford specific data, as well as the IAT, intake air temperature sensor data.

OEM / Interchange Numbers: DS7Z12A697A, DY1267

"Speed-Density based airflow calculation reading from the ECU", I don't know.

Thanks for replying.

I was able to find compatible parts as well but then have been reading that all 2.3 EBs don't have them. Very confusing.

I'm not with the vehicle so it's difficult for me to check myself. But from supplied photos of the air box and air path I struggle to see where they would actually locate it. There is flexible rubber pipe right after the air box . Then it's in to what looks like a resonator section. Before hitting the turbo.

The vehicle trim doesn't matter as long as the engine is known.

The 2.3L turbo does NOT use a MAF sensor, regardless of what the third party parts purveyors list.

The vehicle trim doesn't matter as long as the engine is known.

The 2.3L turbo does NOT use a MAF sensor, regardless of what the third party parts purveyors list.
Thanks for clearing that up. Bit of a bummer, if we can't get the data off the vehicle we might have to fit a flow meter of our own. Presumably we could just add one in the appropriate spot (car is on a Dyno and already has air box modified for attaching to altitude simulator) so not ideal but not completely stuck. Just a bit more work.

Thanks for clearing that up. Bit of a bummer, if we can't get the data off the vehicle we might have to fit a flow meter of our own. Presumably we could just add one in the appropriate spot (car is on a Dyno and already has air box modified for attaching to altitude simulator) so not ideal but not completely stuck. Just a bit more work.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

See if you can get data from the MAP sensor.

How much more power do you realistically hope to get out of a 2.3L without long term consequences? IMO that is why the 3.5L EB exists.

See if you can get data from the MAP sensor.

How much more power do you realistically hope to get out of a 2.3L without long term consequences? IMO that is why the 3.5L EB exists.
This isn't for more power. We just want to measure what's going on during test work.

The vehicle is basically a testbed/demo vehicle and a way to help us demo our testing equipment both on road and in the chassis lab. This isn't a "tuners" shop. It's a proper emissions lab.

We've likely got a proper flow meter somewhere that we can fit. It just would have been nice to have the vehicle data as well. We have a generic CAN file from ford but it's missing quite a few things. They're generally a bit too busy to go rooting around for stuff off an old model for us.

Back