2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems

Count me in on this as well with mine, 7,700 miles and lead time is early June as of today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's the Throttle-body and on BACK ORDER UNTIL EARLY JUNE!!!

oh and it needs / will get replacement cooling fans too as they were deemed/eligible for replacement.

Dealer to escalate to Ford to expedite part on Monday as "the order has to be in the system for at least 24 hours first".

I reminded dealer, we have road trip in a few weeks and this isn't good and this Focus won't work for us. That's another battle i have coming.

Thanks for the update.
In regards to the fan, did they replace it because they were able to "replicate" the noise; or it is now a TSB?
Last month when I brought my vehicle in for a seasonal tire swap and a burnt out footwell LED, they/we couldn't get the damn fan to squeal (engine on and off, A/C on full blast, heat on full blast etc...)

It has been noted on my work order, but nothing can be done if there's no code thrown and it wasn't squaling!

Gm went though something awhile back on their early Throttle By Wire V8's - where the throttle body drive motors would either report the wrong location, or would get some offset in position data.

when the computer senses an error - it goes into protection mode, and in some cases shut the engine off as opposed to stuck to idle.

many reported a shut down and restart would make the car work normal for a while - reasoning - shut down commands the motor to go back to home - position 0, or closed.

I wonder if there is maybe a similar issue and a bad batch of sensors.

honestly, I didn't ask details on the fans as I was still processing a month for the TB. I am guessing they heard it.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get stuff out of the EX and will ask. As well as I need a bigger/better rental and will be starting the process of Ford to pick up a monthly payment and I have researched the AZ lemon law. I don't want to go that way but if it is that long, the days will be burned up for consideration should we choose to go that route.

When it was restarted the warning lights were off but I didn't feel comfortable driving it.
Hope they have the issue resolved with the replacements.... :burnout:

honestly, I didn't ask details on the fans as I was still processing a month for the TB. I am guessing they heard it.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get stuff out of the EX and will ask. As well as I need a bigger/better rental and will be starting the process of Ford to pick up a monthly payment and I have researched the AZ lemon law. I don't want to go that way but if it is that long, the days will be burned up for consideration should we choose to go that route.

Hope for a fast turnaround and how I envy the lemon law you folks are entiled to over in the Good ol' U.S of A

If it is going to be that long, ask them to pull one from an Explorer on the lot and let that one sit for a month since it isn't sold anyways.

I'll "suggest" it tomorrow along with reminding them of the lemon law 30 days
https://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars

Arizona's Lemon Law
NEW CAR
The Arizona Lemon Law has a number of specific provisions. You should read the law, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau AUTO LINE Program or consult with an attorney if your new car is a lemon. Here are the basics:
The period covered by the Lemon Law is the term of the manufacturer’s warranty or two years or 24,000 miles, whichever is earlier. This covered period begins on the date of delivery of the vehicle to the consumer.
If there is a problem with the car that substantially impairs the use and value of the car and does not conform to the express warranty of the manufacturer, the consumer should report it to the manufacturer.
The report must be made during the covered period.
The manufacturer or its authorized dealers can repair or correct the defect, accept return of the car or replace the car with a new car.

There is a limit on the number of times a consumer must allow the manufacturer to repair the car and the amount of time the car can be out of service. If during the covered period, the manufacturer fails to successfully repair the defect after four attempts, or the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days, the manufacturer must accept return of the car or replace the car with a new car.

When it was restarted the warning lights were off but I didn't feel comfortable driving it.
As I stated above, if possible, don't shut off the engine when you get to the dealership & the fault is active (i.e. the vehicle is running poorly & you've got the wrench symbol in view).
My experience is, chances are, if you shut off the engine, on restart, the engine will run normally & the wrench will not be in view.
Mark

It was shut off, restarted twice and zero push back / resistance from dealer in the issue.

Similar Problem

I just had a similar problem yesterday. My '16 Sport with 4K miles on it barely made it home yesterday. I get on the freeway and the transmission is a disaster. Wouldn't shift out of second gear, then it felt like it skipped two gears and bogged down so low it barely accelerated. Then it went back into second and would not up shift. Pulled over, turned it off, then on again. Same thing happened. It finally went into 5th but would not up shift into 6th. Whenever I tried to accelerate, the RPMs would jump all over the place. Finally got off the freeway and it was just as bad. Seemed like after 1st gear it would skip to 5th gear causing the car to barely accelerate, then would clunk down into 3rd. Then the terrain management system error light came on. Vehicle was not in any of the terrain modes and was not in manual shift mode. I got ready to take it to the dealer this morning and it won't go into reverse so I am having it towed. Been having the fan squeal issue as well so I will have the dealer adress that too. I also can't believe Ford won't give you a loaner/rental. Fortunately since I am having it serviced at the dealer I bought it from, they will give me one. You would think they would provide a like vehicle the way GM and several other manufactures do. I guess customer service is not a priority. We'll see how it goes at the dealer.

I would also ask if the part they are ordering a REDESIGNED throttle body if it's a design flaw or is it that the throttle body was manufactured poorly so you don't have to go through this again.

So dealer called, "units" are shipping 5/11 and will take several days .... so I MIGHT have it back mid to late next week vs June. Dealer could not confirm if this is a "re-designed/updated" unit or the original design. :mad:

The ETB on my 2016 Explorer Limited FWD (V6) went out yesterday, after only 3300 miles. Thankfully was only a mile from home. The vehicle went into protective mode several times on the journey back to my driveway. Ford Roadside Assistance towed it to our dealer this morning, and this afternoon I was told the part is on back order and they won't know more about availability for three more weeks.

The ETB on my 2016 Explorer Limited AWD (V6) went out yesterday, after only 3300 miles. Thankfully was only a mile from home. The vehicle went into protective mode several times on the journey back to my driveway. Ford Roadside Assistance towed it to our dealer this morning, and this afternoon I was told the part is on back order and they won't know more about availability for three more weeks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Unfortunately it looks like you are in line with quite a few members on this issue Dave.:(

Peter

Apparently this has been an issue on Fords for several years. I think NHTSA was involved a few years ago. I'm hoping my dealer can get me the part sooner than 3+ weeks.

No TB issue with mine. The dealer just called and said something came apart in the transmission. Will get an update later in the week on whether they can fix or if the whole tranny will be replaced.

Regarding the fan squeal, my dealer said this is the first issue they have seen. Although I know it has been a common issue with many in the forum.

Wow, transmission. Good luck with yours and they "know" about the fans, but such is the life of a service advisor.

So dealer called, "units" are shipping 5/11 and will take several days .... so I MIGHT have it back mid to late next week vs June. Dealer could not confirm if this is a "re-designed/updated" unit or the original design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, transmission. Good luck with yours and they "know" about the fans, but such is the life of a service advisor.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Most don't have the squealing issue and this issue just started popping up randomly a little over 4 months ago. I guarantee that there are tons of dealerships that haven't experienced this yet with any of their stock or sold units.

My explorer was in last week and they haven't had any fan issues yet that they have seen. I know my service advisor VERY well and been dealing with him for 9 years directly.

He did tell me that he has one guy with a fleet of 11-15 explorers and 4 of them had water pump failures.....

Back