2016 Explorer transmission ratting noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer transmission ratting noise

jwilso77

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Limit
Hello,
I drive a 2016 Explorer and I've been noticing a rattling noise that is accompanied with a jump in rpm from about 1900-2200 on a consistent basis when driving between the speeds of 40-65. The noise will happen and last for about 2 seconds then rpm drops to normal and it doesn't create the noise for about 5 and then jumps back up and repeats the cycle. If I accelerate more or let of the gas the noise goes away and if it switches from about 4-5th gear it won't happen. Rarely there is a catch when shifting between these gears as well. I took it to the dealership and they said that nothing came back on the check and that they couldn't replicate the noise. Has anyone else had this problem?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you sure the noise is from the engine and not the transmission? I'm no mechanic but I'd think if the engine revs increased you should also feel the vehicle speed up briefly.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you sure the noise is from the engine and not the transmission? I'm no mechanic but I'd think if the engine revs increased you should also feel the vehicle speed up briefly.

Peter

Easily could be, I can only tell that it is coming from under the hood while driving, the transmission does make a bit more sense. Just updated the thread title, thanks!

Back