2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems?

15 Days since I dropped off 2013 Ford Explorer with transmission issues, I was never contacted my "Ford" only my dealer service rep Johnny which by the way has done a great job of keeping me informed. I officially regret buying Ford! :-( Fool me once Shame on you!

Hi TheGeekHero,

Your CSM has been trying to contact you but has been getting your voice mail. I also see that they've been working with your dealership to get this resolved. Please reach out to me if you need additional assistance.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never received a single message on the # I gave you, no missed calls, I get txt and emails when I have a missed call or VM.

I had my 2013 Exploder towed today from my driveway. I first noticed the engine idling really rough, then I tried I put it in reverse and the Explorer didn't want to go backup. Well, it did, but is was chugging along. It performed just fine in drive and then the check engine light came on. 6900 miles

I picked up my 2012 Explorer on 1/17/12 after it was in the shop for 27 days. It still is not fixed. Now it vibrates at any speed and any RPM and can be felt through my gas pedal and now strongly in the floor. The dealer and the engineer from Detroit and the Field engineer moved all the engine, transmission, and exhaust mounts around to see if it fixed it.
The field engineer said now it feels like his 2012 Explorer and all the others he has driven. If that is true and they all vibrate as bad as mine, then I don't want one anymore.

- 2010 Explorer had been in shop for a total of 78 Days
- 2012 Explorer has been in the shop for 48 days total as of 1/18/2012 and still not fixed.

I keep getting told that no one knows how to fix this and Ford keeps saying no one else has had this same issue so they don't know how to fix it. Ford's standard line is "No one else has had this issue" ...... even when my issue was posted here by other folks. (Terrain management fault). I have gotten no satisfaction from Ford over any of my concerns and even if you write to corporate, they do not answer your letters. If anything, I have learned from experience regarding Ford and its products! Good luck, but don't expect much assistance from Ford ...... That's what I have learned from this. :thumbdwn:

Please if you have a vibration that can be felt through the floor and or Gas pedal and possibly a whining noise over 45mph, post a reply with your 2012 Explorer specs and problem.

Thanks everyone.

Ford's standard line is "No one else has had this issue" ...... even when my issue was posted here by other folks. (Terrain management fault). I have gotten no satisfaction from Ford over any of my concerns and even if you write to corporate, they do not answer your letters. If anything, I have learned from experience regarding Ford and its products! Good luck, but don't expect much assistance from Ford ...... That's what I have learned from this. :thumbdwn:

My 2012 Explorer Limited has always had a vibration which occurs at highway speed between 60-70. This vibration can be felt through the floor/dash/passenger seat etc. My Ex has 18500 miles. It has been into the shop for this issue an number of times (but not recently), but has never been fixed - improved but not fixed. My dealer told me this is a common vehicle characteristic (ie. feature). My Ex is due for regular maintenance so I will take it in again, complain about the vibration again, and expect to hear the it's a common charateristic explanation again :(

xplanfan

My 2012 Explorer Limited has always had a vibration which occurs at highway speed between 60-70. This vibration can be felt through the floor/dash/passenger seat etc. My Ex has 18500 miles. It has been into the shop for this issue an number of times (but not recently), but has never been fixed - improved but not fixed. My dealer told me this is a common vehicle characteristic (ie. feature). My Ex is due for regular maintenance so I will take it in again, complain about the vibration again, and expect to hear the it's a common charateristic explanation again :(

xplanfan
As I've mentioned before, I can't see engineers building a vehicle purposely with a built in vibration. I believe that any new design is put through frequent tests to eliminate noise and vibration. Your dealer may be saying it is a common issue, but if so, I don't have it and wouldn't keep it if it did and it couldn't be fixed.

Peter

:thumbsup: I had a similar issue with my 2010 Taurus SHO. Same engine as the Sport. The transfer case had a failure and dropped a bearing out and it took them 13 days to figure it out, find a new transfer case, and install it. They initially thought it was the transmission though. I ended up calling Ford and complaining because the dealership was not helpful at all. They weren't going to provide me rental and wouldn't update me all while my car was under a factory warranty. After I called Ford, they paid for my rental car. Waiting on my Explorer Sport to arrive but buying from a different dealership this time.

:thumbsup: I had a similar issue with my 2010 Taurus SHO. Same engine as the Sport. The transfer case had a failure and dropped a bearing out and it took them 13 days to figure it out, find a new transfer case, and install it. They initially thought it was the transmission though. I ended up calling Ford and complaining because the dealership was not helpful at all. They weren't going to provide me rental and wouldn't update me all while my car was under a factory warranty. After I called Ford, they paid for my rental car. Waiting on my Explorer Sport to arrive but buying from a different dealership this time.
Great move. A dealer can and does have a huge impact on how the customer feels toward the vehicle they drive. It's too bad that there are so many complaints on this Forum from customers who feel the dealers are giving them 'the run around'.

BTW, welcome to the Forum Va_SHO. :wavey:

Peter

I have some good news, I think! I don't have a major transmission problem. Yes the transmission seems to lag a bit on hills but the transmission is not why my car was acting up. The temperature dropped Wednesday night into Thursday morning here in Texas, therefore rodents were looking for a place to snuggle up and get warm. They ate my engine wires, its costing me $650

I have some good news, I think! I don't have a major transmission problem. Yes the transmission seems to lag a bit on hills but the transmission is not why my car was acting up. The temperature dropped Wednesday night into Thursday morning here in Texas, therefore rodents were looking for a place to snuggle up and get warm. They ate my engine wires, its costing me $650
Not sure if that is good news or not. Any transmission problems likely would have been covered under warranty. I don't think that damage caused by little critters looking to stay warm is covered. Good luck.

Peter

My 2012 Explorer Limited has always had a vibration which occurs at highway speed between 60-70. This vibration can be felt through the floor/dash/passenger seat etc. My Ex has 18500 miles. It has been into the shop for this issue an number of times (but not recently), but has never been fixed...

Hi xplanfan,

Shoot me a heads up PM when you plan on going back to the dealer; I'll get your case escalated up to your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in your PM. Thanks!

...Waiting on my Explorer Sport to arrive but buying from a different dealership this time.

Congratulations on ordering a Sport, Va_SHO! Send me a PM with your VIN or order number/dealer name and I can give you updates on your Sport's status.

...rodents were looking for a place to snuggle up and get warm. They ate my engine wires, its costing me $650

Yikes! Who knew that Explorer wires were so tasty? Thanks for telling us what the verdict was, esw2005. Is it time to invest in some rat traps? LOL JK! ;)

Crystal

Two years later - still no resolution

I initally posted on this board in 2011 with a complaint about my transimission kicking in my 2011 Explorer Limited. About 12 trips back to the dealership over two years - I still have the same problem. They extended my waranty, but customer service has been no help - stating the dealer can't duplicate the problem. A problem that is intermitent. AND a problem the dealer tells me they have duplicated, but Ford won't let them address it. I'm BEYOND frustrated and fet up with Ford. Will never buy another Ford, which is shame since several of my family members work the line building Escapes and F250s. They need to stand behind their products. This is ridiculous. Now I get to start this process over with a whole new dealer. Can't wait. Have never had this much issue with another manufacturer. I'll be making the switch back to Acura as soon as I can get rid of this piece of crap.

Beware - don't buy a Ford.

I initally posted on this board in 2011 with a complaint about my transimission kicking in my 2011 Explorer Limited. About 12 trips back to the dealership over two years - I still have the same problem. They extended my waranty, but customer service has been no help - stating the dealer can't duplicate the problem. A problem that is intermitent. AND a problem the dealer tells me they have duplicated, but Ford won't let them address it. I'm BEYOND frustrated and fet up with Ford. Will never buy another Ford, which is shame since several of my family members work the line building Escapes and F250s. They need to stand behind their products. This is ridiculous. Now I get to start this process over with a whole new dealer. Can't wait. Have never had this much issue with another manufacturer. I'll be making the switch back to Acura as soon as I can get rid of this piece of crap.

Beware - don't buy a Ford.

KentuckyExplorer, I understand your frustrations and second your warning regarding buying Ford. I have experienced similar treatment from Ford and don't plan to buy another anytime soon. Unfortunately, it seems Ford will have to lose more loyal customers until they get the message and change their ways. I wished I had leased my Explorer so that I could walk away, but having bought I have to continue to try to get it fixed so that I can one day sell it.

just had ours in because the cooling fans failed and mentioned the transmission bump that was intermittent. Explained that it didn't happen often and when it seemed to show up. Service advisor said they couldn't duplicate the problem so there was nothing they could do.

Didn't figure they would be able to duplicate it but being there's a known issue (and fix) thought they'd look a little closer.

just had ours in because the cooling fans failed and mentioned the transmission bump that was intermittent. Explained that it didn't happen often and when it seemed to show up. Service advisor said they couldn't duplicate the problem so there was nothing they could do.

Didn't figure they would be able to duplicate it but being there's a known issue (and fix) thought they'd look a little closer.

myfoot - there was a TSB mentioned in another thread on this forum for the transmission thump issue (tsb 13-03-18 ). Mention this number to your dealer if you haven't. At the risk of jinxing myself, my transmission thump has been dormant for awhile.

Hi xplanfan,

Shoot me a heads up PM when you plan on going back to the dealer; I'll get your case escalated up to your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in your PM. Thanks!
Crystal

Hi Crystal,
Sorry I missed your reply to my post back in April. Anyway, I have gone through my CSM previously regarding this vibration issue to no avail. To summarize that experience, the CSM wasn't able to help my Ford service mechanic determine the problem. The mechanic has tried all that Ford advised and stands by his position that until Ford tells him what's causing the problem there isn't anything else he can do try to correct the problem. This ends up in the service computer as either "can't duplicate" or "characteristic of the vehicle". So, if you know of TSB for this issue then please share. Meanwhile, this longtime Ford fan remains very unimpressed by the 5th generation Explorer.

xplanfan

...I still have the same problem. They extended my waranty, but customer service has been no help...
...Service advisor said they couldn't duplicate the problem so there was nothing they could do...
KentuckyExplorer & myfoot,

It’s important to me that this is taken care of by setting up calls from your regional customer service managers. Please send me a PM with your name, VIN, best daytime phone number, mileage, and dealer details.

...Sorry I missed your reply to my post back in April. Anyway, I have gone through my CSM previously regarding this vibration issue to no avail...
I want to have this reviewed for you and arrange for a follow-up call, xplanfan. I have your vehicle details from before, so drop me a line with the current mileage.

Cory

KentuckyExplorer & myfoot,

It’s important to me that this is taken care of by setting up calls from your regional customer service managers. Please send me a PM with your name, VIN, best daytime phone number, mileage, and dealer details.

Cory

PMed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to have this reviewed for you and arrange for a follow-up call, xplanfan. I have your vehicle details from before, so drop me a line with the current mileage.
Cory
Cory,
Thanks for contacting my CSM and having her call me. She told me she would contact the service shop to discuss my case and then get back to me next week. Since this is the same CSM who worked this issue before for me, as well as the same service shop, I'm skeptical there will be different outcome. But I will be hopeful. And if my skepticism is misplaced, I'll admit it to all here.

-xplanfan

Back