2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems?

my_vw_sucks,
Your description sounds an awful lot like the hill assist feature where if the X detects that you are on a hill and adds gas for a second while you move your foot from the break to the gas pedal. That would explain the increase in RPM. However, I always wonder what would happen if the gyroscope technology used by this system is broken/stuck where it thinks you are ALWAYS on a hill. That would mean it would try and lurch you forward on flat pavement every time you let go of the brake pedal from a complete stop...

But I'm am just speculating.

The hill assist applies the brake not the gas. In my case it feels like the vehicle is in neutral and then drops the car into gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apologies for my misunderstanding. In that case it makes more sense.

Last Friday the dealer told me that they would order a brand new transmission for my Explorer. Spoke with them again on Monday and they indicated that it would be ready for me to take home Tuesday evening. Last night they called to say they were having a programming issue and that it wouldn't be ready until today. My first 12 days have been a nightmare

2011 Ford Explorer XLT - Possible Transmission????

We are having trouble with our vehicle. It started making this roaring noise at 55 mph and then after a few seconds, it would stop. Brought it in - dealership said they could not duplicate. Vehicle continued doing this - has been brought in two more times. Now the vehicle makes this noise at 35 and 55 mph. Has sort of a winding up sound and when you pass each gear, it levels off and starts again again until the next gear is reached. Service manager and mechanic are both hearing the noise and appear to be stumped as to the problem. They have been in touch with Ford and they will be sending an engineer to personally come check out the vehicle. This makes me apprehensive - in my mind, I don't want them tearing down the vehicle using it as a guinea pig to find out what went wrong. Now I am seeing all the other issues people are having with this product. When asked if this vehicle was safe to drive, we were told yes. I feel the dealership should have offered us a rental to drive while the we are waiting for this engineer. After reading all this information put out by others with similar problems, I do not feel this vehicle is safe at all. I have researched the lemon law in my state and this vehicle has been brought in three times and they are still scratching their heads. Probably should have bought the Toyota 4-Runner.

Transmission Problems

I feel your pain, I've had multiple issues with my Explorer since getting it 12/23. Seat recall (that still makes a rattling noise that it didn't when I took it in), MFT issues (waiting to get the 2.8 update), A-pillar noise, what I assume is the transmission (at a stop, I put my foot on the gas and it felt like someone rear-ended me), and then twice in the past week it's sounded like something crunched in my passenger side rear wheel and had a slight drag when driving. I think it's a beautiful vehicle, but I'm not sure what Ford thinks people should do with so many issues when they've spent A LOT of money on the Explorer. VERY frustrating!!!!! At least your service place is calling you back and trying to help....mine gave me a smokey Focus after giving a Nissan Versa the first time.

HELP CORY!

rbell,
Did you ever find any resolution to the "kicking" problem? I have a 2011 Explorer, and have been experiencing the same thing for the past few days. The problem doesn't seem to be consistent - so I am hesitant to waste my time taking it to the dealer only to be told "we couldn't duplicate the problem."

...I have a 2011 Explorer, and have been experiencing the same thing for the past few days...
KentuckyExplorer,

I’m happy to help by sending the info on what you’re experiencing to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

rbell,
Did you ever find any resolution to the "kicking" problem? I have a 2011 Explorer, and have been experiencing the same thing for the past few days. The problem doesn't seem to be consistent - so I am hesitant to waste my time taking it to the dealer only to be told "we couldn't duplicate the problem."

I had this issue. I referenced a TSB related to this issue when I went in and was able to get my car fixed, even though they were not able to reproduce the condition while I was there. From what my service guy said there is a check valve in the transmission that randomly sticks and causes it to slam into gear. After the fix I haven't had any problems with the transmission.

Here's the TSB:

2011 Ford Explorer Power Train Service Bulletin 286479

NHTSA: Action Number: 10039121 Service Bulletin Number: 286479
Report Date:
May 10, 2011Component:
Power Train
Summary: Ford: there may be a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feeling when rolling to a stop. This will be followed by a harsh bump. *rm

Though I do feel your pain in "we couldn't duplicate the problem". I was very surprised that my dealership did the fix when they too couldn't duplicate the problem. They have been exceedingly hesitant to purse issues

Don't manic, I bought a new 911 and received a recall one week later to replace the transmision. It was replaced in one day and all was well. Let the process happen.

Amen brother. A lot of people are so quick to jump. You've gotta let somethings take their time.

Thanks Cory and VW.
Took my Explorer in the day after I posted. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem, but did find the SB. So hopefully when I pick it up today, all will be well. Sounds like they did exactly what you detailed.

Also had them address some excessive wind noise from the windshield and streaking on driver front window.

I've purchased four new cars since 04, (all others were Acuras and Hondas) and have always had little issues like these. As long as they get them resolved, I am good. Just part of buying a new car - especially in its first model year.

Overall, I love the vehicle. Although I originally set out to buy the Acura MDX - once I drove the Explorer there wasn't any going back. Also drove the Audi Q7 and Lexus RX350. And they couldn't hold a candle.

Vibration in gas pedal and whining transmission

Since the day I got my 2012 Explorer XLT, AWD with Tow package (Aug 29th, 2011)(2853 miles now) I have had a vibration that started off softly in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. I have driven two other 2012 Explorers and they also had a slight vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM.
- After several weeks of driving it has gotten worse to the point where it feels like I have an electric razor buzzing under my foot between 1200-1500RPM and 2500-3000RPM
- Completely smooth at 2000RPM.
- My transmission is also making a muffled whining noise when using the gas pedal at most speeds.
- When coasting no whining noise and no vibration in the gas pedal.
- Takes longer to notice first thing in the morning when its cold out.
I have already made a thread on this here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332856&highlight=gas+pedal+vibration

However people have stopped posting on it.

I have been reading this thread and was interested in HiGrafiX issue.

- HiGrafiX did you notice your gas pedal vibrating along with your other issue?
You mention "accelerator".
I see in your comment "My problem was a loud whining noise sometimes accompanied by a vibration in the accelerator that occurred near the transmission shift points.
The part was a high pressure line for the transmission cooling system that vibrated and made a noise during transmission high pressure points. It is part of the towing package. "
So did your gas pedal stop vibrating (if it was) after getting the high pressure line replaced?

Does anyone else have the gas pedal vibration with or without the transmission whine?
If so was it fixed?
And how was it fixed?

I have been working with Cory and a Ford rep on this.
Also this is the replacement vehicle after my 2010 Explorer was swapped for it under Ohio Lemon Law because my 2010 Brakes kept failing and after 78 days cumulative in the shop and 6 months Ford could not figure it out.
(It ended up being air in the line like I told them since day one after the left front caliper failed and was replaced. Corporate Ford had the bleeding procedure wrong the whole time)
I was almost killed twice because of brake failure on the highway at a red light.

Please reply if you have any information that may on the off chance be helpful:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you everyone.

Since the day I got my 2012 Explorer XLT, AWD with Tow package (Aug 29th, 2011)(2853 miles now) I have had a vibration that started off softly in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. I have driven two other 2012 Explorers and they also had a slight vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM.
- After several weeks of driving it has gotten worse to the point where it feels like I have an electric razor buzzing under my foot between 1200-1500RPM and 2500-3000RPM
- Completely smooth at 2000RPM.
- My transmission is also making a muffled whining noise when using the gas pedal at most speeds.
- When coasting no whining noise and no vibration in the gas pedal.
- Takes longer to notice first thing in the morning when its cold out.
I have already made a thread on this here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332856&highlight=gas+pedal+vibration

However people have stopped posting on it.

I have been reading this thread and was interested in HiGrafiX issue.

- HiGrafiX did you notice your gas pedal vibrating along with your other issue?
You mention "accelerator".
I see in your comment "My problem was a loud whining noise sometimes accompanied by a vibration in the accelerator that occurred near the transmission shift points.
The part was a high pressure line for the transmission cooling system that vibrated and made a noise during transmission high pressure points. It is part of the towing package. "
So did your gas pedal stop vibrating (if it was) after getting the high pressure line replaced?

Does anyone else have the gas pedal vibration with or without the transmission whine?
If so was it fixed?
And how was it fixed?

I have been working with Cory and a Ford rep on this.
Also this is the replacement vehicle after my 2010 Explorer was swapped for it under Ohio Lemon Law because my 2010 Brakes kept failing and after 78 days cumulative in the shop and 6 months Ford could not figure it out.
(It ended up being air in the line like I told them since day one after the left front caliper failed and was replaced. Corporate Ford had the bleeding procedure wrong the whole time)
I was almost killed twice because of brake failure on the highway at a red light.

Please reply if you have any information that may on the off chance be helpful:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you everyone.

Yes, this sounds like the same problem i had. They replaced and insulated a transmission line. The high pressure line is part of the tranny cooling system. It vibrates when under high pressure and if not routed and insulated properly it can cause the problems mentioned. My problem is fixed. Has not come back.

Yes, this sounds like the same problem i had. They replaced and insulated a transmission line. The high pressure line is part of the tranny cooling system. It vibrates when under high pressure and if not routed and insulated properly it can cause the problems mentioned. My problem is fixed. Has not come back.
HiGrafX Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.....you are the single nicest person I have ever met on the web in a forum. If this is what fixes my issue I will be so happy.
Right now Ford corporate and their engineers are stumped.

I will let everyone know what happens after next Monday 11/7/11 when they can get it in.

Thanks again.

HiGrafX could you provide your dealers name who fixed the issue?
This way my dealer can call them if they have any questions.

Thanks again!

Thanks Cory and VW.
Took my Explorer in the day after I posted. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem, but did find the SB. So hopefully when I pick it up today, all will be well. Sounds like they did exactly what you detailed...
You’re very welcome, KentuckyExplorer. It sounds like your dealer is taking care of you. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

Since the day I got my 2012 Explorer XLT, AWD with Tow package (Aug 29th, 2011)(2853 miles now) I have had a vibration that started off softly in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM...I have been working with Cory and a Ford rep on this...
Nexus,

I see that you have a follow up tomorrow from Scott. Drop me a line via PM if there’s anything you’d like me to forward to him before then.

I had this issue. I referenced a TSB related to this issue when I went in and was able to get my car fixed, even though they were not able to reproduce the condition while I was there...After the fix I haven't had any problems with the transmission...
I appreciate everyone who’s resolved their concern taking the time to help! :D

Cory

Update on my Gas Pedal vibration and muffled transmission whine

Has anyone had their 2012 Explorer AWD with Tow Package fixed for a vibration issue? (transmission whine also maybe?)

Was the vibration in the gas pedal? (very uncomfortable buzzing/vibrating sensation in the gas pedal)

Another good question is do you have a vibrating gas pedal and if so do you have the Tow package? (No Tow package = no vibration in gas pedal?)

Under 1500RPM and at each shift point and then again at 2500-3000RPM the gas pedal vibrates/buzzes so bad it makes my foot ache after long distance driving.
When its first driven in the morning and not warmed up it is just fine, after it warms up is when it starts vibrating/buzzing in the gas pedal.

Other people in these forums have said they had the SAME issue and their dealer fixed it by replacing the transmission cooler line.

Can someone with a 2012 Explorer AWD and Tow Package please confirm that this was how yours was fixed? Please?

I am working with Ford (and Cory) however I am getting upset that it has been two weeks and my rep keeps telling me that no one has any idea what this could be so far. I point them to this forum but they keep saying it is a 2011 that was fixed.
HiGraphX you are awsome for the info...thanks again.

Sorry Cory but after 6 months fighting with Ford on my 2010 Explorer and now my replacement 2012 Explorer has issues that NO ONE can figure out, I am getting angry and frusturated.
I would think Ford would have something by now to try to diagnose it but the dealer doesn't even want me to bring it in to diagnose it.
All signs point to it being a transmission line to the transmission cooler, so why can't Ford replace it and see if it fixes the issue? If it does not fix it then at least it's a good starting point

I have owned nothing but Ford my whole life. The only vehicles I have ever owned have been Mustangs, Bronco's, and Explorers - nothing else ever.
I have been the most loyal Ford customer you could imagine.

When my brakes on my 2010 Explorer did not work I spent months in the shop and every time I said it was air in the brake line, and every time I was told it couldn't be. After months of this (78 days cumulative - $3800 missed work) Ford "discovered" air was in my brake line.

Please someone with a 2012 Explorer AWD with Tow package if you have this issue and had it fixed, Please write back in this forum and let me know how it was fixed.

Thank you everyone.

Hello Everyone
Here is an update on my 2012 Explorer Gas pedal vibration issue.

I dropped it off at the dealer on Monday 11/14/11.
I don't think anybody believes me when I say this is not normal.
However the service manager called me on Tuesday and said that he drove it and could not believe how bad it is.
He verified that it does feel like an electric razor or electric trimmer under the gas pedal and he also said he understands how my foot would fall asleep driving like this.
I feel vindicated!!!
So yes my gas pedal vibration is not normal.
He said it is "disgusting" how a nice new Explorer could feel like that.

I am driving a Lincoln MKS as a loaner and it has the same engine and transmission as my 2012 Explorer.
The Lincoln also has the vibration in the gas pedal identical to the Explorer but it is much lighter and feels like a normal pedal vibration which is how my 2012 Explorer felt up until around 50 miles (I got it with 5 miles from the dealer).
This is also how all the other 2012 Explorers I have test driven have felt.
Light vibration at certain speeds but is not anything that is annoying.

So what ever is causing this gas pedal vibration in mine seems to be causing the existing normal vibration of this engine/transmission combo to be amplified.

From my understanding of the conversation my service manager is actually working with an engineer from the Explorer design team to figure this out. (At first it was just supposed to be the Tech line but it got Escalated)
Which is kinda a huge deal if you think about it.

I will keep posting updates.
As always if anyone else has any input that would be great.

Thanks for that update Nexus. Glad it was obvious to your dealer and is now being escalated.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 2012 with tow package and AW, so please keep the rest of us updated on your progress!

what I assume is the transmission (at a stop, I put my foot on the gas and it felt like someone rear-ended me)

I had the same thing happen to me 3 times in about 4800 miles. I actually just dropped my X off at the dealership yesterday for leaking transmission fluid. Saw it when I was changing the oil last week. Still waiting on a call back to see what the problem is.

I have on rare occasion experienced two of the issues described by rbell:
"... the transmission (at a stop, I put my foot on the gas and it felt like someone rear-ended me), and then twice in the past week it's sounded like something crunched in my passenger side rear wheel and had a slight drag when driving."
In 11 months I have experienced the "Bump" three times. The low noise and slight drag is more frequent, but still random and not reproducible for a dealer. Sounds like there is a TSB for the bump (sticking valve) but what about the 2nd issue? It is noticeable because the Transmission is normally so smooth and quiet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration Update

Hello everyone,

The dealer has had my 2012 Explorer for over a week now and they have tried every test the corporate Ford told them to do.
Still they are no closer to solving the issue.
The service manager let one of the techs drive it home and back to work and last night the service manager himself took it home.
Fortunately the gas pedal vibrates for him.

Today at 11am an engineer from Detroit is flying in to work on it personally.

Just to recap - 2005 Explorer traded at dealer for 2010 Explorer after dealer broke transmission from bad flush, 2010 Explorer swapped under Lemon law because no one could figure out why the brakes randomly did not work (6 months with issue - 78 days cumulative in shop), now replacement 2012 Explorer has a vibration issue and slight transmission whine no one can figure out so far (7 days in shop).
How can one person be so unlucky:rolleyes:

I will update as soon as I find out something.

Back