2016 Explorer XLT 4x4 turns off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT 4x4 turns off

Tell them to shove it.
You paid for a vehicle with AWD and now they want you to drive around on FWD, until they can get the new rear differential?

There has been plenty of times my loaner vehicle wasnt 4wd or awd. So if his vehicle is fully functional besides the rwd, then there really is no reason to not drive it till the parts come in. Not like his vehicle is not drivable l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There has been plenty of times my loaner vehicle wasnt 4wd or awd. So if his vehicle is fully functional besides the rwd, then there really is no reason to not drive it till the parts come in. Not like his vehicle is not drivable l
Guess I was spoiled by my local dealership, as they partner with a rental agency and I was able to pick out any vehicle I wanted in the same segment.

The issue right now is we are in the middle of winter and our streets are covered with ice from the weekend storms and my wife has a lengthy drive to work. The previous dealer let us keep the loaner the entire time however this dealer uses Enterprise rental. We were hoping a better service rated dealership could find the problem. First time in 42 years of purchasing new vehicles we actually got a lemon.

^

I can sympathize with this completely. You buy these cars for their winter capability, to have it down for a significant portion of that period defeats the purpose of having purchased it in the first place.

The issue right now is we are in the middle of winter and our streets are covered with ice from the weekend storms and my wife has a lengthy drive to work. The previous dealer let us keep the loaner the entire time however this dealer uses Enterprise rental. We were hoping a better service rated dealership could find the problem. First time in 42 years of purchasing new vehicles we actually got a lemon.
If the dealer is going through a rental company that means that the dealer is picking up the costs since Ford doesn't provide them as indicated in the Warranty Guide. When you mentioned "loaner" I was under the impression that it was a dealership vehicle and not a rental. I can understand now why they want the rental returned. Just curious as to what the rental vehicle is?

Peter

So our Explorer has been at the dealership for 10 days again and after first diagnosing the problem as the PTU Ford instead came to the conclusion it was once again the rear differential which took 3 weeks to receive however once the new differential was installed the problem remained so now they are backordering a new PTU. I give Ford A for effort but an F for evaluating the problem. this is our 2nd winter with our four wheel drive Explorer in the shop. Coming soon to our driveway a Lexus RX 350.This sucks after buying new Fords since 1991.

I don't blame you. I would do the same after two winters of expecting to have an SUV with "4wd". It's embarrassing they are just taking their best guess and can't diagnose it the first time either. Would make me think twice about staying with that brand also if that is what I can expect on any new car I get from them.

If the PTU fixes it get the fluid changed in it at least every 30K miles.

Great news today our Explorer repair has been completed. As it turned out there was a cracked or broken gear in the PTU so it should be good to go.

I'm doing a fluid change on my PTU this week because of this thread. I was never aware of the potential problems. I'm curious to see what the fluid will look like.

Great news today our Explorer repair has been completed. As it turned out there was a cracked or broken gear in the PTU so it should be good to go.

I am glad to hear it finally was fixed properly. It is really sad dealers can't disgnose issues properly the 1st time.

Just out of curiosity when Ford puts a new PTU in do they have drain plugs if the vehicle was an older one that did not have one originally?

Just out of curiosity when Ford puts a new PTU in do they have drain plugs if the vehicle was an older one that did not have one originally?

You know I was wondering the same thing. My 2015 has just the fill plug. I pulled a new PTU up on rockauto cause they're good at showing pics. I know it's not a motorcraft/ford ptu but it looks like it has a drain plug. I've got an extended warranty so if mine craps out I'm sure it would be a Ford ptu.

Back