2016 Ford Explorer Limited - Recirculation not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Limited - Recirculation not working

golferdude1977

Reaction score
City, State
LEANDER
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hi,

My daughter has a 2016 Explorer limited and her ac isn't working in the afternoon. We are in Texas so the afternoons are in the low 100's. I have replaced the compressor, condenser, expansion valves in the ac system. In the morning, the output is around 40. In the afternoon it won't get below 60. I had her switch between hot and cold in the air was coming out in the middle. Then had her put the air coming out on the floor. switch between hot and cold. Then had her go to defrost, switch from hot and cold. It never came off of cold. Got up to 118. I had her take it off recirculation and the temp went down to 60. So I am thinking the recirculation is not working, thus cooling to 40 in the morning but only to 60 in the afternoon. Is there an actuator for the recirculating? If so, where is it? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't normally use the recirculation feature but when you press the button doesn't it instantly affect the airflow? Do not notice a difference?
The diagram may not be specifically for the 2016 as it was added for earlier 5th gen models but it may help. Look at the middle left.
1658792521893.png

Peter

When you press the max ac, it does increase the air flow but not sure it is closing off the outside air. After we did the exercise yesterday of hitting each possible air flow, and switching between hot and cold, it worked great. It was blowing 40 degree air. Will see if it works good today. But worried something is going out and just a matter of time before it does. She is going on a road trip next weekend and hoping it doesn't go out then.

I have a similar issue where I don't think the recirculating air is not working. I haven't been able to figure it out either, if you do, please post!

Edit: Damn autocorrect.

Well yesterday she was driving and it was cooling good, 40. It was on high fan speed and the indoor recirculation was on. All of the sudden, it started getting hot, vent temp was going up and got to 120. She did what we did the day before, put the air on the feet, then set the temp to hot, then to cold, did this for the defrost mode, then back on the reg ac vents. And it started cooling again. I am not sure it is a vent not closing off the hot air. But thinking maybe something to do with the temperature selection. Since it got up to 120, not sure just outside air would make it that hot. Sure wish someone had solved this before. Any thoughts?

Back