2016 Platinum Drivers Seat AC / Heat doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Platinum Drivers Seat AC / Heat doesn't work

Tim Cale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016,Explorer, Platinum
Any ideas on how to pursue resolution of this problem? Neither the AC or heater element works in the seat; it does however work in the seat back. Drivers side only. When I purchased the vehicle - used - the dealer said I had coverage to 60K; well now I find out it was only 10K from the point I rolled out of the dealership. Once again, never trust a dealer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Tim.:wave:
I don't recall an exact issue like yours being posted. Most posts complain about the seatback not working or working properly. I wonder if it could be a wiring issue. FYI, both seats are controlled by the same fuse so that shouldn't be the problem. Can you hear a fan running? The seat has an air filter but the Manul says it is a lifetime filter and doesn't require replacement.
What is your mileage? Is it possible that the dealer said that the vehicle is covered up to 60k miles and that you only have 10k left to reach that?

Peter

Well, the AC works on the back of the set but not the seat itself. I bought the vehicle at 44k and now they tell me the premium warranty expired at 54k. When I bought it at an out of state dealer they told me full bumper to bumper warranty to 60k.

Thanks for your feedback.

The factory bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years, 36k miles. The Powertrain Warranty is 5 years, 60k miles. The previous owner may have bought a Ford ESP Warranty but in order to transfer that to you, you would have had to pay a fee (at least in Canada you do). A 54k warranty sounds a little odd but I suppose it's possible. Did they give you anything in writing/documents about the warranty?

Peter

The document I have states Limited Extended Warranty/Service provided by the manufacturer for 84 months or 100,000 How to I go about finding out exactly what is covered?

The document I have states Limited Extended Warranty/Service provided by the manufacturer for 84 months or 100,000 How to I go about finding out exactly what is covered?
That depends on what kind of extended Warranty it is. Is it a Ford ESP (PremiumCare)? If it is provided by Ford then it likely is. You would have had to pay a small transfer fee in order to have it in your name.

Peter

Thanks for the info. I do have a signed document in my name stating the warranty terms above and the $100.00 deductible I must pay at the time of service. The info states the warranty is provided by Ford and not the dealer or a third party warranty company.

Thanks for the info. I do have a signed document in my name stating the warranty terms above and the $100.00 deductible I must pay at the time of service. The info states the warranty is provided by Ford and not the dealer or a third party warranty company.
Perhaps they included the transfer cost in the vehicle price> In that case, it is likely a Ford PremiumCare warranty which I would think should show somewhere. It also contradicts your initial post about warranty. Seek this site and download a brochure. Be sure to read the items NOT covered. PremiumCARE

Peter

Dash indicators show system operates but neither heat no cool occurs. Dealer indicates it needs a new harness with install $600+. Does anyone have info for the do it yourselfer? When they checked it they unplugged a connector and then plugged it back in and it worked for a short time (maybe a dirty connection)? If I knew what electrical connector it was I could pull apart and spray with some contact cleaner. Any hints I what connector controls the seat heat /cool? BTW, the seat back works fine. Thanks!

Does your ESP not cover this?

Peter

Similar issue in that my heated seat needs an element and the premium care warranty does not cover it. Anyone else get ford to cover it? Thanks

Similar issue in that my heated seat needs an element and the premium care warranty does not cover it. Anyone else get ford to cover it? Thanks
I'd be interested in knowing under which part of the ESP that this item is being excluded. Although the heated seat element is not listed as a covered feature, neither is it listed as an excluded feature.

Peter

I'd be interested in knowing under which part of the ESP that this item is being excluded. Although the heated seat element is not listed as a covered feature, neither is it listed as an excluded feature.

Peter
Peter that is a good question. One I spent hours on the phone with 6 different Ford departments trying to find that out exactly. The dealership basically said that because the cushion and the element are one piece that is why they aren't covering it. Its also interesting in that they cover the electric seat motor but not the heating element... almost like they don't cover any "luxury" items at all!

I'm guessing they must be including it under the "upholstery" exclusion then. 😞

Peter

Back