2016 Platinum Late Production? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Platinum Late Production?

I was informed by Crystal at ford service that I now have a VIN number for my 2016 Platinum explorer that I ordered on April 30th. Does anyone know what my estimated ETA would be? And if it's possible to track it's progress with the vin number on some kind of tracking system.

I got this over at Blue Oval. I've trying to track my Expedition, but it doesn't show up. Build date is 8-3, so maybe too soon to track?
http://www.cotus.ford.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone able to find the build date on their Explorer Platinum?

Not me. I ordered my 2016 Platinum before Christmas last year, and I'm still in the dark.

If you have a VIN then you should have a build "week" (week of X (always a Monday). Once you get within a week or so of that week, a day is then scheduled.

Ask your dealer, they have the same access as Ford CS on here.

They did not give you a VIN?

Nope. Thus far, Ford has been unable to provide a VIN to my dealer. All I can do is to continue to wait for Ford to start scheduling production of the 2016 Platinum. I always knew the Platinum is a "late availability" model. I just didn't know how late -- and still don't know!

Nope. Thus far, Ford has been unable to provide a VIN to my dealer. All I can do is to continue to wait for Ford to start scheduling production of the 2016 Platinum. I always knew the Platinum is a "late availability" model. I just didn't know how late -- and still don't know!

I ordered in April and finally gave up when no word when production would start. I changed to a 16 Expedition Platinum and already have a VIN and build date.

I ordered in April and finally gave up when no word when production would start. I changed to a 16 Expedition Platinum and already have a VIN and build date.

I'm coming close to calling it a day and pulling the trigger on the Volvo XC 90 if there is no news in 4 weeks.

Poor communication

It is certainly frustrating that one can place an order but have absolutely no idea when they will even begin producing the Platinum trim. I ordered mine last month but may swing over to GMC if I don't get word soon. You'd think they'd really look to please the crowd motivated enough to be on this forum.

I got this over at Blue Oval. I've trying to track my Expedition, but it doesn't show up. Build date is 8-3, so maybe too soon to track?
http://www.cotus.ford.com/

That website doesn't work for 90%+ of VINs. Chances are it will never pull up any of your info until it is built if at all.

It is certainly frustrating that one can place an order but have absolutely no idea when they will even begin producing the Platinum trim. I ordered mine last month but may swing over to GMC if I don't get word soon. You'd think they'd really look to please the crowd motivated enough to be on this forum.

FWIW, I received an update from my Ford sales guy regarding my order for a 2016 Explorer Platinum. My order was placed before Christmas last year and just yesterday (Friday, July 10), the status changed from "material hold" to "unscheduled clean".

I've asked for another update next week and will share any news regarding more progress toward a build date.

FWIW, I received an update from my Ford sales guy regarding my order for a 2016 Explorer Platinum. My order was placed before Christmas last year and just yesterday (Friday, July 10), the status changed from "material hold" to "unscheduled clean".

I've asked for another update next week and will share any news regarding more progress toward a build date.

That is good news for you. Unscheduled Clean means there are no options holding your order from being scheduled so everything is available now for a build. At this point it now falls on your dealer's allocation for it. If they have allocation, you should have a VIN soon.

Do you know what your Priority # is? If not, ask them for your DORA.

Platinum black interior

Ordered a black 2016 platinum April 15th. I too wish there was a black interior. I'd even go for grey.
Hoping for an early production. The dealer gets my 2013 Sport with a lot more miles on it the longer it takes for the platinum to arrive.

I read Ford has decided to allow black leather and if you contact your dealer you can do a change order, assuming your vehicle is not being built at this time.

That is good news for you. Unscheduled Clean means there are no options holding your order from being scheduled so everything is available now for a build. At this point it now falls on your dealer's allocation for it. If they have allocation, you should have a VIN soon.

Do you know what your Priority # is? If not, ask them for your DORA.

The document I have from my Ford dealer appears to be a fax of an Order Summary that the dealership received from Ford. My Platinum is shown to be a "Stock" order with Priority Code 80.

I asked my sales guy about this. He talked with his general manager and was told that my order was submitted as "stock" (not "retail") with Priority Code 80 to ensure quickest delivery based on my dealership's allocation.

I'm buying from a small, well-established dealership with a superb reputation in this area. I have no reason to question that they are doing their best to get my Platinum built and delivered ASAP.

The document I have from my Ford dealer appears to be a fax of an Order Summary that the dealership received from Ford. My Platinum is shown to be a "Stock" order with Priority Code 80.

I asked my sales guy about this. He talked with his general manager and was told that my order was submitted as "stock" (not "retail") with Priority Code 80 to ensure quickest delivery based on my dealership's allocation.

I'm buying from a small, well-established dealership with a superb reputation in this area. I have no reason to question that they are doing their best to get my Platinum built and delivered ASAP.

Hate to give you the bad news but the lower the number, the better. Priority 10 is the lowest (technically highest/quickest) you can have at dealership level. 10 gets built before 11, 11 gets built before 12, 12 gets built before 13 etc. Being an 80, I don't see how it will ever get beyond an unscheduled status.

My vehicles get entered as a 10 and I have some connections that bumped it to a 1 which gets scheduled almost immediately. I had my F350 ordered, built and delivered in 22 days, a buddy who went through my guy had his ordered, built and delivered in 18 days.

"Stock" orders are ok if it is a brand new model that hasn't even begun being built yet. The reason for this is Ford requires 5 days of builds without finding any issues before the "ok to buy" is given which means vehicles start to leave the plant and head to dealerships. Customer orders are not built until that 5 day requirement has been met so basically "sold" orders or "customer" orders are built once the bugs are all worked out (alignment issues with body parts, quality control all finalized etc).

100% of builds up till that 5 day mark are Stock orders so although some dealerships like to order stock orders for customers because they can possibly get it faster can also be stuck at the plant longer then a customer order because it is a FILO system (first in, last out) when it comes to being parked in the lot. Thinking of Explorer being built and then tucked in the back, then each Explorer after that gets parked in front of it.. Throw in 1,000s of them a week and you can get some big delays. Just ask us 2011 owners who went through this at the beginning.. people were waiting 3-4 months for theirs to show up because of shipping delays trying to get all the stock rotated and pushed out.

Also, once the "ok to buy" has been given which is already has, Customer orders are ALWAYS built before dealer stock.

Not trying to give you bad news but I can assure you everything I have just posted is 100% correct. You should NEVER get a Priority level over 20 if once wants their vehicle built. 10 is the best but up to 20 should be ok. 80????? I don't know WTF they are doing to you but it isn't good. Something that high (technically low) is something where a dealer would say, "lets get your order in the system so it is at least pending and then you tell me when you want the vehicle and I'll change it to a 15 so it gets picked for build."

I just emailed my contact for you to inquire about the Dealer Stock with a Priority 80...

Hate to give you the bad news but the lower the number, the better. Priority 10 is the lowest (technically highest/quickest) you can have at dealership level. 10 gets built before 11, 11 gets built before 12, 12 gets built before 13 etc. Being an 80, I don't see how it will ever get beyond an unscheduled status.

My vehicles get entered as a 10 and I have some connections that bumped it to a 1 which gets scheduled almost immediately. I had my F350 ordered, built and delivered in 22 days, a buddy who went through my guy had his ordered, built and delivered in 18 days.

"Stock" orders are ok if it is a brand new model that hasn't even begun being built yet. The reason for this is Ford requires 5 days of builds without finding any issues before the "ok to buy" is given which means vehicles start to leave the plant and head to dealerships. Customer orders are not built until that 5 day requirement has been met so basically "sold" orders or "customer" orders are built once the bugs are all worked out (alignment issues with body parts, quality control all finalized etc).

100% of builds up till that 5 day mark are Stock orders so although some dealerships like to order stock orders for customers because they can possibly get it faster can also be stuck at the plant longer then a customer order because it is a FILO system (first in, last out) when it comes to being parked in the lot. Thinking of Explorer being built and then tucked in the back, then each Explorer after that gets parked in front of it.. Throw in 1,000s of them a week and you can get some big delays. Just ask us 2011 owners who went through this at the beginning.. people were waiting 3-4 months for theirs to show up because of shipping delays trying to get all the stock rotated and pushed out.

Also, once the "ok to buy" has been given which is already has, Customer orders are ALWAYS built before dealer stock.

Not trying to give you bad news but I can assure you everything I have just posted is 100% correct. You should NEVER get a Priority level over 20 if once wants their vehicle built. 10 is the best but up to 20 should be ok. 80????? I don't know WTF they are doing to you but it isn't good. Something that high (technically low) is something where a dealer would say, "lets get your order in the system so it is at least pending and then you tell me when you want the vehicle and I'll change it to a 15 so it gets picked for build."

I just emailed my contact for you to inquire about the Dealer Stock with a Priority 80...

Some good information there. I wondered what the priority levels meant. My Expedition shows retail dealer inventory and priority 15. My salesman sent me an email and told me its due to go down the line week of 8-3.

As far as being dealer inventory, doesn't that qualify for any incentives that you otherwise might not get if the vehicle wasn't dealer stock?

Some good information there. I wondered what the priority levels meant. My Expedition shows retail dealer inventory and priority 15. My salesman sent me an email and told me its due to go down the line week of 8-3.

As far as being dealer inventory, doesn't that qualify for any incentives that you otherwise might not get if the vehicle wasn't dealer stock?

Every vehicle is dealer stock as far as possesion goes. Dealer takes delivery and it becomes their stock and then sells to you. You get all the same rebates.

I appreciate your input on my situation with Priority 80, Blwnsmoke. I will ask my sales guy why the dealership specified Priority 80 when I placed the order last December. Hopefully, they have changed my order to a higher priority level (numerically lower than 80) or they have a good explanation for what they did.

BTW, I've been through this new-model stuff with Ford before. In early 1998 I ordered my 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty truck and in early 2001, I ordered my wife's 2002 T-Bird. Both of those vehicles were in demand and had "availability" issues.

You should NEVER get a Priority level over 20 if once wants their vehicle built. 10 is the best but up to 20 should be ok.

Just received a reply from my sales guy after I questioned Priority Code 80 on my order for a 2016 Platinum. He said that Priority Code 80 was a default when they were working on the order, and the Priority Code was changed to 19 when the order was submitted and accepted by Ford. He also said that my Explorer is the only Platinum they have on order, so if they have the allocation, it will be built.

Thanks for motivating me to ask the question. I feel better now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just received a reply from my sales guy after I questioned Priority Code 80 on my order for a 2016 Platinum. He said that Priority Code 80 was a default when they were working on the order, and the Priority Code was changed to 19 when the order was submitted and accepted by Ford. He also said that my Explorer is the only Platinum they have on order, so if they have the allocation, it will be built.

Thanks for motivating me to ask the question. I feel better now.

Glad that everything turned out ok for you, can't wait to see pics. I think a Platinum is going to be our next vehicle in another year or so. Make sure you post pics!!

Back