2016 Police Interceptor B-Roll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Police Interceptor B-Roll

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If GM and Dodge were afraid of loosing market share before they better hold on.

The 16 is even easier to upfit and the extra lighting packages make it the perfect turnkey unit.

Watch Ford market share go right back to 70% like the CVPI

The PI Sedan just needs better ingress/egress and it will see an increase in take rate.

If GM and Dodge were afraid of loosing market share before they better hold on.

The 16 is even easier to upfit and the extra lighting packages make it the perfect turnkey unit.

Watch Ford market share go right back to 70% like the CVPI

The PI Sedan just needs better ingress/egress and it will see an increase in take rate.

What exactly are the changes in the wiring and interior? Ive seen the new control and radio panels, and I love the new color display for the camera. Kinda makes me wonder about slapping my gear sitting on the shelf in to the 2013, or maybe clear her up and order a 2016....

And Sgt can you answer me this.... Is the button disabled on most PI Utilities for the rear hatch? I actually went out oft he way to disconnect the release button on the hatch to make sure I had to use a key. Why is this something new and awesome about the 2016?

And Sgt can you answer me this.... Is the button disabled on most PI Utilities for the rear hatch? I actually went out oft he way to disconnect the release button on the hatch to make sure I had to use a key. Why is this something new and awesome about the 2016?

Yes during the design phase of the Utility, some older members of the Police Advisory Board told the engineers to put in a key lock in the rear gate and delete the interior power liftgate release.

Many including myself disagreed and wanted the power liftgate release.

Now that the Advisory Board has changed and has some newer younger members they all wanted power liftgate.

Same issue with keyless entry, Ford got told, cops MUST have a key so dont do it, now all I hear is how guys love the keyless entry on the Dodge Chargers and how Ford is behind in technology. In reality they got bad advice from their Advisory Board.

What exactly are the changes in the wiring and interior? Ive seen the new control and radio panels, and I love the new color display for the camera. Kinda makes me wonder about slapping my gear sitting on the shelf in to the 2013, or maybe clear her up and order a 2016....

Here's a list of specific changes

New for 2016:

 New front grille that not only looks great but also improves cooling – a customer request

 Unique front fascia

 Unique headlamps, including integrated high-beam “wig-wag” lights

 New rear fascia and taillamps

 Optional police lighting packages – even more customizable for varied customer needs

 New center stack, steering wheel and gauge cluster

 45-second liftgate release activation button in overhead console – a customer request

 Updated electrical architecture to support new lighting packages and to better offset electrical loads

The newer body power harness has me interested to figure out what changed, and I love the new looks. My personal favorite is ditching the damn AUX sliders for On/Off push buttons. I cant tell you how many times Ive had to "fight" with my Aux 3 and 4 to turn one off and end up turning the other on

Here's a list of specific changes
And it said the wig-wag lights were incandescent. Wasn't someone talking about how the LED versions were $700 to replace?

At least they were smart enough to use a stand in Malinois, and not a real police dog. The real one would have bitten the nearest Ford exec as a thank you to all of us who have endured. MFT!:D

And it said the wig-wag lights were incandescent. Wasn't someone talking about how the LED versions were $700 to replace?

At least they were smart enough to use a stand in Malinois, and not a real police dog. The real one would have bitten the nearest Ford exec as a thank you to all of us who have endured. MFT!:D

Yes in the current PI Utility you can't WIGWAG the headlights because they are projector halogen with the "shutter" system. This was a huge deal for many.

WIGWAG is a police term for alternating high beam headlight flash.

Whelen lighting came up with a bulb you could WIGWAG to take the place of the headlight high beam bulb. The Whelen answer was a $700-$800 set of park/turn/warn bulbs which burned out way too often.

The WIGWAG effect was also poorly executed compared to the previous CVPI.

Now Ford has gone back to a high beam headlight that will allow WIGWAG.

This is for PI units only though.

Interestingly enough Dodge has decided in the 2015 Charger Pursuit the WIGWAG feature will be the strip LED lighting in each headlight. Im not sure which is better I guess time will tell because neither are out in the field yet.

The newer body power harness has me interested to figure out what changed, and I love the new looks. My personal favorite is ditching the damn AUX sliders for On/Off push buttons. I cant tell you how many times Ive had to "fight" with my Aux 3 and 4 to turn one off and end up turning the other on

The "PIM" Police Interface Module from InterMotive will change those switches to whatever you want.

Momentary, latching, or timed switches.

It gets rid of exactly what you hate about them.

Yes in the current PI Utility you can't WIGWAG the headlights because they are projector halogen with the "shutter" system. This was a huge deal for many.

WIGWAG is a police term for alternating high beam headlight flash.

Whelen lighting came up with a bulb you could WIGWAG to take the place of the headlight high beam bulb. The Whelen answer was a $700-$800 set of park/turn/warn bulbs which burned out way too often.

The WIGWAG effect was also poorly executed compared to the previous CVPI.

Now Ford has gone back to a high beam headlight that will allow WIGWAG.

This is for PI units only though.

Interestingly enough Dodge has decided in the 2015 Charger Pursuit the WIGWAG feature will be the strip LED lighting in each headlight. Im not sure which is better I guess time will tell because neither are out in the field yet.
Great explanation. Thanks, Sarge.

I'm somewhat of a Luddite at heart, even as I embrace new technology. There is a time and place for everything, and often the force fit of new technology where the old was working just fine produces very undesirable results.

I know I didn't understand how the hi/low beam effect worked on the Ex until I blew the first bulb. The beauty of a two bulb per lamp, or two filament bulb is the redundancy.

The headlights are one more place that Ford failed on the Explorer. The beam pattern really sucks. I notice very little added impact from the high beams. Side lighting when pulling into a drive is terrible. My friends' Mercedes SUV is a much better execution. It's lighting is amazing.

Sarge, any word from Ford on fixing the Whelen LED PTW issues? Im on my 3rd replacement and its starting to act funny again, and worried since neither Ford nor Whelen want to offer any repairs, just pricey replacements. And it chaps my ass that Whelen would offer a 5 year warranty of them, but because Ford is involved, 3/36 is all you get and ZERO help from Whelen

Lift Gate Release

We just got some 2016 Interceptor utilities and I immediately noticed an issue with the first one we got back from our upfitter. The factory overhead console has the timed release button for the rear lift gate. However, it needed to be removed to mount our (old) Watchguard dash cam systems. This leaves the officers with the task of opening the lift gate by manually taking the key, placing it in the lock, then turning it with one hand while simultaneously pulling on the lift gate handle. It's extremely unsafe and time consuming. What have you guys done as far as re-locating that button so the timed release feature can be retained? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

We just got some 2016 Interceptor utilities and I immediately noticed an issue with the first one we got back from our upfitter. The factory overhead console has the timed release button for the rear lift gate. However, it needed to be removed to mount our (old) Watchguard dash cam systems. This leaves the officers with the task of opening the lift gate by manually taking the key, placing it in the lock, then turning it with one hand while simultaneously pulling on the lift gate handle. It's extremely unsafe and time consuming. What have you guys done as far as re-locating that button so the timed release feature can be retained? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Yeah I would think so, not having a free hand at all!

Or officer safety!

Back