• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport A/C sucks!!!

HARDROCKTIMES

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I picked up my sport in June... And notice on hot days the AC isn't getting the truck cold... And if ur standing outside the truck it sounds loud... And the cooled seats don't seem to work when it's hot out.... Is it me or should have ford done a better job.... For 50k I should be riding around in a ice box in the summer....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention....
I took it to my local dealer for them to check out... The guy takes the truck and parks it inside while it's running with the AC on.... Of course it's going to work inside the garage in the shade ....

The easy way is to shoot the vents with a laser temp gun, it should be pretty cold. I would shoot mine but my brother has my temp gun at the moment

Do you have the climate control on LOW/MAX A/C? I run mine 70/72 and sometimes it kills the a/c for a second and I get some warm air.

does the car have a bad whine to it when taking off/ idleing?? if so it is probably the idle pulley.. my 2001 mountaineer a/c blew out really weak and sounded like it was a supercharged 5.0 lol bought a new idle pulley at autozone for 14 bucks and BAM!!!! super hard blowing a/c again..

Forgot to mention....
I took it to my local dealer for them to check out... The guy takes the truck and parks it inside while it's running with the AC on.... Of course it's going to work inside the garage in the shade ....

:(:(:(

Have you tried running the rear air conditioning system to help cool down the interior?

Two issues at play. A/C air force and air temp. Could be an issue with the compressor/blower motor or low refrigerant.

As mentioned above, temp gauge will tell you if it is cool enough. As to whether it is blowing enough air, I'd compare it to another Ex at the dealer. Can also get a feel for temp coolness that way too.

Other consideration is that when it is in the 90's it takes a little while to cool down a big vehicle, but if it never gets to a cool enough temp, sounds like a problem.

I picked up my sport in June... And notice on hot days the AC isn't getting the truck cold... And if ur standing outside the truck it sounds loud... And the cooled seats don't seem to work when it's hot out.... Is it me or should have ford done a better job.... For 50k I should be riding around in a ice box in the summer....

Since when is the 5th generation Explorer a "truck?" There is nothing truckie about it.

As stated you need to check the temp of air out of the vents. You don't need an infrared scanner. Go to a hardware store and pick up a cheap refrigerator thermometer. Park the car where ever you want, turn the ac full cold, fan to max and do not recirculate air, let it draw from the outside. Hold the thermometer right next to the center vent and measure the temp of the air. The difference in temp between the outside and the cooled air should be about 20 degrees. If it is 90 outside the air should be about 70. If its 95 then 75. Once the inside is cooler than the outside temp switch to recirculate so the AC is cooling air that is already colder than outside and you will get the same temp drop making the inside colder and colder.

No issues here on my 2016 Sport A/C. Even in the 90 degree humid weather we have been having, it cools down fast and I have to turn the seats down(up) because they get to cool. For quicker cool down, I turn on Max AC and use the recirc option so it isnt brining in hot air from outside to try and cool.

My first guess would be that the factory slightly overfilled refrigerant not allowing for a complete expansion of gas in the evaporator coil.

My first guess would be that the factory slightly overfilled refrigerant not allowing for a complete expansion of gas in the evaporator coil.

The online filling stations at the plants are computer monitored. Pretty damn accurate.

Now if there was a rework on the car, say they found a defect where the AC had to be disconnected then this is where an issue could occur.

If there is a scratch on a dash, OEMs usually replace the dash and to pull the dash the AC has to be disconnected. To recharge they use just a regular mechanic shop cart.

Don't have any issues with my 2016 Sport A/C either. We had highs of 95s with a really high humidity (80% and up) in the last two weeks and never encountered any "heat flashes" in the car.

The online filling stations at the plants are computer monitored. Pretty damn accurate.

You're right. Computers are pretty much error proof nowadays.

From a parked position, AC will take longer to cool vs. in motion getting more air across the condenser. Check to make sure you are on LOW not "My Temp" which could be higher and also, don't be afraid to turn on the rear fan. being in AZ, I know all too well on hot cars, but not the humidity you have to deal with.

I have a 2015 and I'd say mine works pretty well. Only complaint is I haven't quite figured out how or why the rear cooling and controls sometimes are on and sometimes are off when i jump in and start the car. It's not a malfunction, I just haven't taken the time to read the manual, or it's related to differences in the smart keys or last setting when car was turned off.

My complaints if any, are that it's a noisy system heard from the outside while idling (adding to the already weird clatter this direct injected engine makes) and when both front and back cooling are on, it makes the engine idle somewhat lumpy (no stalling or stumble, just that the additional load brought on by the AC makes the idle not nearly as smooth as when it's off or only the front cooling is on).

When i turn the AC in my 14....sounds like a mack truck outside but it;s outside so i don't worry at all...normal for these trucks

I have a black 16 Sport and the A/C's been fine during our 2 day heat "wave" here. Hopefully your dealer can figure out what's wrong.

The AC in my new 15 works great here in Phoenix where in summer it is over 100 daily. But our humidity is usually low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should change the title to "My 2016 Sport..." Or "2016 Explorer with A/C problem."

As others have said, get it checked out. Our '16 Sport gets cold quick. No A/C issues here.

Back