2016 Sport creaking noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport creaking noise...

Caledon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
2016 Sport with 600 miles, has a creaking noise during initial acceleration, and while braking down at low speeds. Seems to be more prevalent when turning right and accelerating from a stop. It's coming from the front passenger side down low. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to the dealer and make a tech ride with you.

Caledon, did you end up finding a resolution to this issue? My 2016 XLT AWD just started doing this as well. I will be taking it into the dealership too. Any additional information would be very helpful.

Hmmmm...I suspect this possibly?

SSM 45626 - 2016 Explorer- Pop Or Creak Noise - Right Front Subframe Bolt - Built On 09/01/2015 And Through 10/31/2015
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on 9/1/2015 and through 10/31/2015 may exhibit a pop or creak type noise from the front right sub frame bolt. If normal diagnosis identifies the noise as originating from the right front sub frame bolt, please do not replace any components or attempt repairs at this time. Engineering is currently investigating this issue. If the noise is identified to be present from another component or location, continue with normal diagnostics and repairs. Continue to monitor oasis for updates.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2016 TRUCK: UB EXPLORER
2016 TRUCK: 00134 EXPLORER 4DR

My vehicle fits that description. I'll mention this when I bring it in. Thanks!

After a 6 week wait for parts, and 7 days in the shop my Sport is fixed... for now. Lower front sub frame assembly, bolts, and mounts replaced. Popping noise is gone. Exactly as the bulletin above stated. They told me to monitor it and bring it back in right away should the issue arise again. Ford is aware and looking into the issue.

After a 6 week wait for parts, and 7 days in the shop my Sport is fixed... for now. Lower front sub frame assembly, bolts, and mounts replaced. Popping noise is gone. Exactly as the bulletin above stated. They told me to monitor it and bring it back in right away should the issue arise again. Ford is aware and looking into the issue.

So that sounds like they replaced it with the same part and are trying to figure out why some are having issues and others not? Reading that correct?

Ford often purchases the same part through multiple suppliers / manufactures so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Similar thing happened on ~2010-2013 F150s where the front 'struts' were made by two different manufactures and one of them ended up actually being slightly longer.

Which sound was more prevalent; the popping are sqeaking?

The noise is both a creaking and popping, and as of yesterday it is back. Very frustrated, going to take it back in and see what can be done.

Did Ford change the sub-frame on the '16 MY from previous 5th gen Ex's that this now would become an issue from earlier years?

Ah HA! Same problem here with my 16 Platinum. The HORRID creaking started last week. By Friday I was like, WTH?? Took it the dealer and they said "probably a bushing"..... Just called me back to let me know it was "THE SUB-FRAME and Ford said NOT TO ATTEMPT ANY REPAIRS AT THIS TIME". I just called my service rep and let him know what I found here. Thanks to a great forum!

Is the sound noticeable inside with the windows closed?
I'm starting to hear something also (creak/squeak), but only when driving with both front and passenger windows open.

Is the sound noticeable inside with the windows closed?
I'm starting to hear something also (creak/squeak), but only when driving with both front and passenger windows open.

I can hear it LOUDLY with all windows closed.

Ah HA! Same problem here with my 16 Platinum. The HORRID creaking started last week. By Friday I was like, WTH?? Took it the dealer and they said "probably a bushing"..... Just called me back to let me know it was "THE SUB-FRAME and Ford said NOT TO ATTEMPT ANY REPAIRS AT THIS TIME". I just called my service rep and let him know what I found here. Thanks to a great forum!
Sounds like Ford might be aware of the problem and possibly working on a remedy if that is what they came back with. Some of the 2011 models had to have two items under the front bumper welded.

Peter

I have a '16 Sport and have been noticing a dull pop from the front suspension when I turn straight from full lock. I special ordered the vehicle and it was built between those dates. It's not that loud, and doesn't seem to happen every time. However, it is my wife's car which I don't driver everyday, and she doesn't notice these things. I'll have to bring it up when I take it in for the first service (along the the fan squeal).

They released a TSB on this today for all 2016 Explorer built up through 1/31/16.

TSB 16-0021 BODY CREAK/POP NOISE OVER BUMPS - RIGHT FRONT SUBFRAME BOLT AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/31/2016
Publication Date: February 23, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 1/31/2016 may exhibit a pop or creak noise from the right front mounting bolt of the front subframe. This condition may be due to a mispositioned weld between the barrel nut and the subframe mounting bracket

My summation of the fix: The have to remove the right front wheel and splash shield. Then they mark lines on the sheet metal on the inner fender and using a cutting wheel tool make a flap that allows access to the barrel nut they are referring to. They weld the nut to subframe, fold the flap back up, weld that, apply some anti rust stuff and put it back together.

Estimated time to fix - 1.3 hrs.

They released a TSB on this today for all 2016 Explorer built up through 1/31/16.

TSB 16-0021 BODY CREAK/POP NOISE OVER BUMPS - RIGHT FRONT SUBFRAME BOLT AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/31/2016
Publication Date: February 23, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 1/31/2016 may exhibit a pop or creak noise from the right front mounting bolt of the front subframe. This condition may be due to a mispositioned weld between the barrel nut and the subframe mounting bracket

My summation of the fix: The have to remove the right front wheel and splash shield. Then they mark lines on the sheet metal on the inner fender and using a cutting wheel tool make a flap that allows access to the barrel nut they are referring to. They weld the nut to subframe, fold the flap back up, weld that, apply some anti rust stuff and put it back together.

Estimated time to fix - 1.3 hrs.

Just called my service rep, and quoted to TSB to him. (he was quite impressed that I had this, I told him he should be a member here!). So, I have an appointment with the body shop! yay! No more creaking! THANKS for posting this!

After bringing the TSB number to light with my service guys, they did end up performing service and welding the part back to the frame. Not familiar with the actual work done, but in the end no more creaking noises! Thanks much jmr061.

Well guess I will bring this up with my upcoming oil change and first service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was built 11/11/2015. I haven't heard this noise yet. I guess ill keep my ears open.

Back