• Register Today It's free!

2016 sport. Transmission slips

Keith knodt

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas, va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer sport
From the first day the transmission slips while changing gears. If it was a manual transmission I'd say the clutch was slipping. I wonder if it has something to do with the torque converter. The dealer looked at it once and couldn't see the problem. I expected that. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take them for a drive and show them.

From the first day the transmission slips while changing gears. If it was a manual transmission I'd say the clutch was slipping. I wonder if it has something to do with the torque converter. The dealer looked at it once and couldn't see the problem. I expected that. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum Keith.:wave:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, go for a drive with a tech to explain what you feel in slippage. Have you tried driving in "S" mode and using the paddle shifters to see if it does the same thing?

Peter.

You say it slips when changing gears, could you elaborate on that?
There will be some slipping when changing gears, but that is dependent on conditions(load, throttle position, rpm.....etc).
More information is needed to understand if the slip is excessive or unusual.

Welcome to the Forum Keith.:wave:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, go for a drive with a tech to explain what you feel in slippage. Have you tried driving in "S" mode and using the paddle shifters to see if it does the same thing?

Peter.
Yup. Same thing in S and paddle shifters.

You say it slips when changing gears, could you elaborate on that?
There will be some slipping when changing gears, but that is dependent on conditions(load, throttle position, rpm.....etc).
More information is needed to understand if the slip is excessive or unusual.
It's just like if in was a manual transmission and the clutch slips. When it goes to a higher gear the engine speeds up and it feels like the car hesitates a little. It's worst going to 2nd and third.

There maybe a software update for this. I don't recall seeing any thing but doesn't mean it's not out there. I will ck updated TSBs this morning and let you know.

Keith, I checked all TSBs that are available to me and nothing shows up for transmissions. Keep us posted on what you find.

I know you are describing clutch slip characteristics, but it might sound similar to what I call "bad transmission programming". For me, the particular characteristic is when you are at a slower cruising speed (50km/h or 30mph), and you decide to goose it. The engine hesitates, then surges. Is that what you are experiencing occasionally?

Maybe the transmission module needs a re-flash?

Thank you guys.
To Kmarnes. No. It happens under normal acceleration. As soon as it shifts, the engine speeds up then gradually slows down, just like it would do in a manual transmission if the clutch was slipping as it did in my 70 Mustang before I put a new clutch in it.
To Summers22, I'm taking it in for a service in a couple days so I'll go for a ride with a mechanic and ask him about reprogramming it. Last time I had it there they said the fluid was low. They serviced it but it was no better.
To Transman304, thanks for checking the TSB's. I'll mention that to them too.
Thanks again guys.

I actually had the transmission fail in my 2016 and they rebuilt it. I really just think it's terrible transmission programming from Ford. The tech did tell me there was a reprogram they are doing when customers complain about the transmission. They are not advertising it because the majority of owners aren't having issues. (his words, not mine)

Mine still hesitates like crazy on some downshifts(mostly 2-1). Probably does this once or twice a month very randomly.
I got a very hard shift today with a clunk noise from 1-2 in a parking lot.

I'm just waiting for it to fail again so I can request a brand new transmission and not a rebuilt one. After that I will buy a tune from Livernois to fix the programming that Ford can't seem to figure out.

I actually had the transmission fail in my 2016 and they rebuilt it. I really just think it's terrible transmission programming from Ford. The tech did tell me there was a reprogram they are doing when customers complain about the transmission. They are not advertising it because the majority of owners aren't having issues. (his words, not mine)

Mine still hesitates like crazy on some downshifts(mostly 2-1). Probably does this once or twice a month very randomly.
I got a very hard shift today with a clunk noise from 1-2 in a parking lot.

I'm just waiting for it to fail again so I can request a brand new transmission and not a rebuilt one. After that I will buy a tune from Livernois to fix the programming that Ford can't seem to figure out.

Thanks for the response. Mine doesn't have a problem downshifting, just up. But that's good poop about the reprogramming. What is the Livernois fix?

Just returned from the dealer who did the 22.5 K service. We did a test drive and it did what I see. Under harder acceleration it doesn't seem to do it as bad. They checked the codes on the computer and they say it works as advertised. So I guess I'm nit picking it. At least if it fails big time I have some documentation. Thanks again for your input guys.

Back