2016 XLT Driver Side Grounding Strap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT Driver Side Grounding Strap

helmsa

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT, 3.5 NA
Callsign
K7ATH
Greetings all, and thank you in advance.

A week ago my wife's 2016 XLT 3.5L N/A stalled on her in at an intersection and is still fighting me, which has prompted me to start going through a lot of systems on the car, but that is for another thread. Today, while working on it, I located this grounding strap on the driver side (only about 12-16 inches long)...mounted to the chassis behind the battery tray, under the fuse box and lower air box (only to be seen when the box is removed). Can anybody locate where this grounding strap is supposed to terminate somewhere in the neighborhood of the transmission? I tried calling my dealership and explained the location of the strap and they told me that they couldn't help without seeing the vehicle (pure laziness in my opinion). I've attempted to Google it, wiring diagrams and other options, but no luck so far. My Haynes manual wont be here until Monday or Tuesday, and I'm trying to get a jump on getting hooked back up where it belongs.
IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg

By the looks of it, It looks like it hasn't been attached to anything for a while. If it is a ground strap, couldn't you ground it to any ground point?

Peter

In the last picture, the silver stud just to the right of the end of the ground strap. Find a nut(flange) and attach it to there.....assuming that stud is on the engine.

Back