2017 5 key FOB DIY program new key to Explorer : SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE It ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 5 key FOB DIY program new key to Explorer : SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE It ?

corvetteguy

Reaction score
City, State
starrucca, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Looking for someone to give me advice on DIY installing a new 5 Key FOB
as a third FOB to 2017 explorer. Are there dangers, pitfalls, that I can encounter?
Like screwing up vehicle.
I've seen posts that say need 2 original keys.
Need to use special program.
The term "turn ignition on/off 8 TIMES"? (how?)
Programming one key on new FOB? ( I want all keys to work).
Haven't seen info on programming START Keys?

Help a new member PLEASE
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have two keys already programmed you should not need a program. You can enter program mode using the two keys. I am assuming that you have a push start? Start with all the doors closed, and you sitting in the drivers seat. If you had regular blade keys you would cycle the ignition on/off 8 times and leaving the key in the on position at the 8th cycle. Keep in mind you are not cranking the starter or starting the car, just turning the key to the on position. After cycling the key 8 times you take it out and then insert the 2nd programmed key and cycle 8 times again, leaving the key in the on position on the 8th cycle. At this point if done correctly you should hear the door locks cycle signaling that you are in program mode.

If you have a push start then the procedure is the same EXCEPT since there is nowhere to insert a key you need to insert the keyfob in the learning slot. It is located inside of the center console. Lift the console lid and look to the forward wall and you will see a lottle pocket just big enough to slide the key fob into. Insert it with the buttons facing forward (not sure if the orientation actually matters). This is allowing the car to identify the RFID chip inside of your key fob. With the doors closed and your foot NOT on the brake pedal, push the ignition button on/off 8 times with the last cycle ending on the "on" position. Then turn it off, replace the key fob with the 2nd key fob, and repeat the cycling. If done correctly you will hear the door locks cycle. At this point you have 20 seconds to push any button on the new fob you want to program. If programming is successful then each time you push a button on any fob you will hear the door locks cycle. each time you push a button the 20 seconds resets. When you are finished push the off button and the locks will cycle again verifying exiting program mode. Get out, close the doors and test the fobs. I have had to do this a couple times if it didn't take the first time.

Recap of procedure:

-Sit in car with doors closed, Don't have foot on the brake pedal. Have two pre-programmed key fobs and the fob(s) you want to program
-Insert key fob into learning slot in center console
-Push the on/off button cycling it 8 times, remove first fob and insert 2nd fob
-Cycle the buttons on/off again 8 times ending with the car in the on position
-If door locks cycle you are now in program mode. (If not, turn car off, open/close door to reset and try again.)
-Push any button on the new fobs, hearing the locks cycle verifies programming, You can program as many as you want at this time as long as you do it within 20 seconds of each action.
-Exit program mode by turning off the ignition. The door locks will cycle.
-Get out of the car with all keys and verify success.

Good luck.

Richey;;
Your response is extremely helpful.
A few questions::

1) after getting the programming door locks cycle and cycling through
the 1 st and then the 2 nd good keys. should I remove the 2 nd old key and DO NOT insert
the new key in the learning port. Just keep it on the seat. CORRECT?
Just push any button on the new key. The door locks will cycle. I'm DONE?
turn off ignition.....

2) Is there any way I can screw up the original keys (like accidentally pressing a button )
or leaving it in the learning port?

3) The new FOB is not being programmed, The car is being programmed to recognize the
new FOB RFID?

4) I have installed new batteries in the new $22 Chinese FORD FOB clone. I can confirm
that when i depress the motor start key that the little red LED blinks. What do you think
are the odds of being successful to make the FOB work?

When I get enough confidence I will attempt the procedure.

Thanks for your help.
George

Looking for someone to give me advice on DIY installing a new 5 Key FOB
as a third FOB to 2017 explorer. Are there dangers, pitfalls, that I can encounter?
Like screwing up vehicle.
I've seen posts that say need 2 original keys.
Need to use special program.
The term "turn ignition on/off 8 TIMES"? (how?)
Programming one key on new FOB? ( I want all keys to work).
Haven't seen info on programming START Keys?

Help a new member PLEASE
George
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The procedure I believe is covered in your Owner's Manual except that I think it tells you that for programming a spare IA key you have to go to the dealer. The 2016+ Explorer is different. However, check the link in this thread; Programming new key for 2017 Limited

Peter

Richey;;
Your response is extremely helpful.
A few questions::

1) after getting the programming door locks cycle and cycling through
the 1 st and then the 2 nd good keys. should I remove the 2 nd old key and DO NOT insert
the new key in the learning port. Just keep it on the seat. CORRECT?
Just push any button on the new key. The door locks will cycle. I'm DONE?
turn off ignition.....

2) Is there any way I can screw up the original keys (like accidentally pressing a button )
or leaving it in the learning port?

3) The new FOB is not being programmed, The car is being programmed to recognize the
new FOB RFID?

4) I have installed new batteries in the new $22 Chinese FORD FOB clone. I can confirm
that when i depress the motor start key that the little red LED blinks. What do you think
are the odds of being successful to make the FOB work?

When I get enough confidence I will attempt the procedure.

Thanks for your help.
George

You're over thinking it. Just go out and do it. You're not going to deprogram your existing keys.

Back