Complicated Key Fob issue 2014 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complicated Key Fob issue 2014 Explorer

iamtmo

Reaction score
City, State
Poteau, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2014 6 Cyl
We purchased the Explorer used and received the secondary FOB not the Primary. The Secondary FOB died, new battery didn't fix etc... We now have the FOB key in the console pocket to start and run the car so that means the car is detecting it. The killer is during a recent oil change the lube shop turned on MyKey and we cannot remove it because we don't have the primary key. I know if we go through dealer we're looking at 200 to 250 for a new primary and a while back I purchased a secondary online guaranteed to work if you have a working primary. It however cannot be made to work as primary or so I have been told but can be programmed and keyed to work as secondary. Does anyone know of any other options for making a new primary other than Dealer rip-off or at least turning off MyKey. The delete option is not available and says it need the other key to perform an edit.

I don't understand how the fob "died" nor why a technician changed it to a MyKey. No one has ever posted here, that I can recall, about a fob dying other than from a weak battery. Are you sure the buttons are making contact? The battery contacts are usually covered somewhat with a dielectric grease that should not be cleaned off. If the vehicle's system is detecting the fob in the emergency slot then I would think that the fob is fine. Since the dealer caused the issue, I would expect them to step up and help you out. Perhaps a deal on a new fob.
Although it is a little late now, as many members have said, never accept just a single fob when they initially come with two. I don't know if the other one was lost, but somewhere 'out there' is a fob that will work on your Explorer.
I don't think the MyKey settings can be deleted without having the primary or Admin key. Clearing MyKey Settings Problems

Peter

Dealer didn't cause the issue an Oil Change place caused the MyKey issue. My wife finally got into the dealer and they didn't charge to setup and program the second FOB and we purchased a new primary for 130.00 bucks so I'm not gonna get too upset. The other FOB just died. I'm saying though my wife drives the Explorer and I'm not sure what she put that FOB through over the last 3 years. It's all fixed now so we're all good. Thanks for the reply.

Back