2017 Explorer brake controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer brake controller

michiganbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Base
I have a 2017 Base Explorer with tow package. When I went to pick up new RV they told me I had to have brake controller installed before I could leave with RV unit. So, I had them install one there (Hayes Blackbird- which isn't even available any longer). They did not have wiring adapter so they cut factory plug off and spiced in. That piece of junk draws my battery down with engine off and no way to remove power from it. I have purchased Tekonsha unit to replace but now want to be sure about which wires go where since I don't have plug to keep me from thinking too much. The controller has black, white, red and blue wires.
Can someone tell me the color of the factory wires each of these should be connected to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could help. That was messed up what they did. Try searching youtube etc and maybe there will be something there that'll show you the wires and colors.

Tried that for a couple of hours yesterday. So, been there- done that. Thanks anyway. Might have to buy the Helm wiring diagrams- which I'll probably never use again.

Your RV dealer did you no favors when they hacked into the harness.

Did they give you the end that they cut off?

If not go to ETrailer and see if what they show on the wires match anything like what you have. There should only be 4 wires to deal with.

Tekonsha Brake Controller for 2017 Ford Explorer | etrailer.com

Your RV dealer did you no favors when they hacked into the harness.

Did they give you the end that they cut off?

If not go to ETrailer and see if what they show on the wires match anything like what you have. There should only be 4 wires to deal with.

Tekonsha Brake Controller for 2017 Ford Explorer | etrailer.com

No, they didn't and I didn't think to ask because I wasn't aware of what they had done. I looked at a few etrailer videos, but I'll look at the one you included. thanks

Back