2017 Explorer Colors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Colors

Not for me. I prefer the lighter colours so washing the vehicle isn't as big a deal.:D Still leaning to White Gold after I checked out an Escape in that colour last week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think lighter colors makes a car look cleaner when dirty except possibly in locales that suffer long brutal winters with lots of road salt -- oh wait, that is you, isn't it?! ;). It's more of a "how far away from dingy street color gray is your car color". Black cars are hideous to keep clean. White cars are even more hideous to keep clean. You never technically have to wash a gray car. It's all about the RGB difference. Also metallic paints hide dirt better than flat colors, so the platinum white on a ford is a better color than a flat white on a CRV. We have a flat white CRV.

Magnetic gray wins for laziest possible car washing color. White and black loses outright. Smoked quartz is pretty close to black so trailing the pack, but other colors will fare better. Let's see how long I can go without washing my car before it starts to bug me?

PS: I lived in Ottawa for a couple years. I have experienced your winters. I was there for Ice Storm '97. That was fun.

My 2011 Ex was Platinum white and the current MKT is Crystal Champagne ( a kind of white/beige) and neither show the light dirt/dust that tends to accumulate. Also the light coating of salt it accumulates in Winter isn't as noticeable from a distance compared to darker colours. My Silver Metallic Highlander was much the same. Anyway, that's been my experiences with those colours, plus the outside tend to stay cooler than darker ones. I've washed the MKT twice this Spring/Summer and it still looks clean, except fro a few suicidal bug splatters.
Just did some browsing and according to one article the colour I have now (Champagne) is the top colour for low maintenance.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFx-69q9_OAhWDKCYKHfpVA2oQFggbMAA&url=http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-paint-colors.html&usg=AFQjCNEr-BsbSo3YGqA_UA1RsZIIsNvGeA&sig2=MiqhpkYmeYeHlT9IAeIo_A
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFx-69q9_OAhWDKCYKHfpVA2oQFggiMAE&url=http://www.acecars.net/?p=845&usg=AFQjCNHXJIlhrcBT1kPsUAXdsOKK4u5cXg&sig2=tSgHe1On0cWsHOxt6MFibA

so wait a tick are you saying the Ford GT350 wheels fit the explorer?

Good reads on the paint articles, learned a few things. And they were right. Having owned a black Jeep Commander in the past, I would never want to go back to a black car, although I mostly drove that car while I lived in California and it wasn't too bad because it never rained. I do think color maintenance is very locale based. Vancouver can be quite rainy at times, and white cars do not fare well, but as the articles say -- grays and silvers do quite well in all conditions. I could never own a car that was a champagne color and given the rarity of that color on the road, I'm not the only one.

I bought smoked quartz knowing it would be a tough color to keep looking clean, but it's at least 20% more forgiving than black!

PS: Anyone know why the forums are showing up in bold text? It's normal when editing. But once I submit, it's bold...and so is everyone else's posts.

And here's mine in the Sport flavor :)

-img_0846_f012de0d2956041522e42f3d9a146f89e83e69c5.jpg

Looks gorgeous! Care to share any more photos? Different light and angles?

Crystal Champgne

DSC_0542_001.JPG

Smoked Quartz is very nice but it's the blue tinge I dont like........Im going shadow black yet again for Explorer number 4.........hard to keep clean but looks the best on a sunny day.

@peterk9

Just thought I'd tell you just how wrong I was about the White Gold color. As I said earlier in the thread I based my initial comments on the 'build your Explorer' link at Ford.com. Once I saw a picture I realized it wasn't nearly as ugly as I thought. :) Anyway, today while in town to pick up my oldest boy from preschool I saw a really sharp Explorer coming at me from the opposite direction. And as it passed me that's when I realized it was White Gold. It was sharp. Really sharp. I know I said that color 'wasn't really my thing', but had one of those been on the lot when we bought ours I likely would have really considered it.

So, in short, you have good taste, sir. :)

I've got a request if anybody out there has a White Gold Explorer. Could you post a photo or two? I'm picking colours from the 2017 brochure, because my dealer didn't have any on the lot in that colour.
I like the less popular colours for my vehicles, just to have a bit of individuality.
My present and previous F150s show that;
IMG_0831_zpsevz2qmbv.jpg

002-1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

I've got a request if anybody out there has a White Gold Explorer. Could you post a photo or two? I'm picking colours from the 2017 brochure, because my dealer didn't have any on the lot in that colour.
I like the less popular colours for my vehicles, just to have a bit of individuality.
My present and previous F150s show that;

Any help would be appreciated
I thought you'd never ask.:D

http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...lorer-photo-thread.441370/page-2#post-3579658

Peter

My wife just picked up a white gold limited in April. I wasn't thrilled at first but after clay barring sealing and waxing it looks much better. Now I just have to get the emblems off without her noticing it

My wife just picked up a white gold limited in April. I wasn't thrilled at first but after clay barring sealing and waxing it looks much better. Now I just have to get the emblems off without her noticing it
Many Thanks!
As a result of those photos, I contacted the salesman and will be meeting him tomorrow to finalize the sale. I love the colour!

Many Thanks!
As a result of those photos, I contacted the salesman and will be meeting him tomorrow to finalize the sale. I love the colour!
Happy to help.

Old thread but the only one I saw related to Explorer paint colors without starting a new thread..

I asked my friends at CAP what was the most ordered color for last year and I got this.

Always thought White was #1 but apparently not even close.

Must have included prototypes because a few of these colors are 2021 colors.

UM AGATE / INFINITE BLACK 73318

AZ STAR / PRISTINE WHITE METALLIC 56493

J7 MAGNETIC GREY METALLIC 38759

YZ OXFORD WHITE 34286

JS ICONIC SILVER / SILVER RADIANCE 34038

D4 LUCID RED/RED CARPET METALLIC 26440

FT BLUE METALLIC / BLUE DIAMOND 18655

B3 ATLAS BLUE 13107

BN SILVER SPRUCE 9013

B6 RICH / CRYSTAL COPPER METALLIC 5550

AR ICED MOCHA 2214

GS CERAMIC PEARL METALLIC 1837

R3 BURGUNDY VELVET METALLIC 1431

UJ STERLING GREY 1132

LK DARK BLUE SOLID 952

TN SILVER GREY METALLIC 479

YG MEDIUM TITANIUM METALLIC 447

C8 FLIGHT BLUE 405

E3 ARIZONA BEIGE CC 230

XF CHROMA CAVIAR DK GREY PREMIUM METALLIC 218

KR NORSEA BLUE METALLIC 133

E4 VERMILLION RED 104

JL DARK TOREADOR RED 94

J1 KODIAK BROWN 85

LN LIGHT BLUE METALLIC 67

HG SMOKESTONE 60

LM ROYAL BLUE 49

BU MEDIUM BROWN METALLIC 28

M7 ASHER / CARBONIZED GRAY 21

D1 STONE GRAY 11

1B GREEN 10

1D MID CURRANT RED 8

AB INFINITE BLUE METALLIC 8

1A RED 7

1I TAN W3029N 6

White is the predominant colour if you add the two shades together. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2017 Sport is the Smoked Quartz and I love it.

Back