2017 Explorer - Rust on dash frame | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer - Rust on dash frame

futureboy

Reaction score
City, State
na
Year, Model & Trim Level
na
So the first mod on my new 2017 XLT was to install a front+rear dashcam.
The installation was pretty straightforward, although the fuse box under the dash was just a nightmare, and I'm still feeling stiffness in my neck, back, and abdomen from bending under the dash to get to it!

Anyway, the first panel I removed was the dash side panel (where the fuse box should've been), and underneath it there I saw some rust around welds and bolts holding the dash frame to the car.

Pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/kEHnf

What is this? Is this normal? Have any of you seen something like this?

In the close-up you can clearly see that the welds and rust have been marked on once by a white marker, and later by a green one. What does this mean?

I did get the rust protection package from the dealer when I purchased the car.
I know the rust inhibitor module doesn't really do anything - it's the 10yr paint & leather warranty benefits and Xzilon coating that came with the package that I wanted.

What can/should I do? Is this a serious problem?
This is my first car ever so I'm a total n00b.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the marking are there to verify that the rust was evenly applied... :D Seriously though those are check markings from inspectors at the factory to confirm the welds are good, almost every vehicle will have some rust on the dash panels etc due to them not being coated.

Rust protection is never applied inside the vehicle, just exterior, those panels are hidden so manufacturers never bother painting them.

Thanks, Reserved50, your explanation makes total sense to me!

Is there any point in trying to clean this rust or apply anything to protect it from rusting further?

I was also thinking I could go back to the dealer, point to this rust and claim the module isn't working (I know it isn't), but they could just say the rust is from before they installed the module!

leave it, all of the metal under the dash and in the seats is exposed also. Humidity over time will cause it to get worse but that's normal. I have a large desiccant bag and it helps keep humidty down and prevents windows from fogging when parked. If you have animals or kids in the car you have to be VERY VERY careful what type you buy and where you put it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=desi...ved=0ahUKEwjN196iio7SAhVH4WMKHUNKBkcQ_AUICCgB

Just leave it, it's fine. It's certainly not going to rust through 6 months from now and snap in two.

Every car I've owned has been like this--just uncoated steel.

Are you sure it is rust? Have you run your finger over it to see if you get a transfer to it? Looks like it was caused by the welding process.

Peter

Thanks for all the responses - this sure set my mind at ease.

@peterk9: I'm pretty sure it's rust - when I ran my finger over it, there was some red dust powder on my finger. Wouldn't welding leave black/grey/white powder?

Not anything to be too concerned with.

It's probably a Weld-Thru-Primer thats applied to the metal before it gets welded together to protect the undersides of the 2 pieces that are joined

@schade - Rust-coloured weld through primer? This wouldn't come off the workpiece as rust-coloured dust, I'm pretty sure.

@schade - Rust-coloured weld through primer? This wouldn't come off the workpiece as rust-coloured dust, I'm pretty sure.
It's called Red Oxide primer. If it was rust, the welds would be rusted too, not looking clean like they do

Even if it is rust, the extremely limited moisture and zero salt exposure it will never be an issue. Think of it this way, the stuff in the back of the restaurant may not look the way you want, but it passes inspection. :p

@schade - There is rust on some parts of the welds, check the close-up. Would Red Oxide primer come off as dusty residue when wiped?

Back