2017 Explorer Sport being held at the factory | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport being held at the factory

Black17Sport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I ordered a 2017 Explorer Sport in early April. I received a VIN number July 2nd and was told a build date of July 25th-29th. I was given a delivery date of Aug 3rd-9th for the car. Well the date passed and a week or so later I contacted my dealer to see if he had heard anything and he said he hadn't heard anything and he would look into it. Finally after a couple weeks he found out that it is being held at the factory for a quality issue. Last week he apparently finally received a response from Zone manager saying roughly 2000 units are being held at the factory for a wiper and door handle issue. We were told that until all 2000 units are checked over, repaired (if need be) and approved they will not ship any of them.

Is anyone else experiencing this too? I'm getting kind of annoyed with this. I was the first order out of this dealership and they have 2 other non black sports on the lot currently. I would go to another dealer since I didn't put any money down, but they are honoring past rebates. Thanks for letting me vent!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I guess due to your Forum name, you're stuck with getting a black Sport. There have been no posts regarding a hold on 2017 models recently. Using the Forum's 'Search' feature I did find a thread on a similar issue with some 2016 models but nothing on a 2017.

Peter

I ordered a 2017 Explorer Sport in early April. I received a VIN number July 2nd and was told a build date of July 25th-29th. I was given a delivery date of Aug 3rd-9th for the car. Well the date passed and a week or so later I contacted my dealer to see if he had heard anything and he said he hadn't heard anything and he would look into it. Finally after a couple weeks he found out that it is being held at the factory for a quality issue. Last week he apparently finally received a response from Zone manager saying roughly 2000 units are being held at the factory for a wiper and door handle issue. We were told that until all 2000 units are checked over, repaired (if need be) and approved they will not ship any of them.

Is anyone else experiencing this too? I'm getting kind of annoyed with this. I was the first order out of this dealership and they have 2 other non black sports on the lot currently. I would go to another dealer since I didn't put any money down, but they are honoring past rebates. Thanks for letting me vent!

Given the new info on the better Sony Clear Phase stereo being installed after August build dates I would ask for another one and get one after the switch to Platinum version 500 W Stereo

Same here. Ordered in April, built in August, and still not here..

Kind of curious how this all goes down, especially in Canada. Because if you don't get the car before the end of September, you could potentially be losing out on amazing incentives or good finance rates. I imagine anyone that ordered in April probably didn't get any good deals at that time. Could potentially be better off pulling the trigger before the end of the month to take advantage of the sweet deals right now, or possibly try to lock them in due to the delay. Come October 1st, I predict everything goes back to normal price. Right now, great price and low interest.

My understanding is you can choose the best incentives at time of order OR time of arrival. No mixing and matching.

I was able to secure an incoming one, so I never had to play that game. Bought Aug 19th, picked up Aug 22nd. Pretty much a loaded stock build with adaptive + sunroof in my desired color. If I was willing to wait, I might have gone for the 2nd row bucket seats, but don't miss it. Wife pointed out, the bench seat is useful for letting someone sleep across, like say on a ferry ride.

While the best stereo is optional in the US in the 401A package, Canada doesn't get a choice... but all 2017's built on or before August 18th get the 380W Sony stereo. Any after that get the 500W with fancy marketing things. So if you are in Canada, and paying more than $53k CAD for a loaded Sport with crappy interest rates, then I'd seriously consider canceling your order to start a new one, or hardballing your dealer. Maybe it will save you thousands.

Usually after Employee Pricing ends the interest rates will go down. They are usually at their highest when the new model year starts and during that promotion to make up for the incentive. According to my salesman, rates are adjusted downward on a quarterly basis. I leased my 2014 MKT in April and the rate was 0%. I expect some of the rate to go down October 1st, at least on leases.

Peter

I was able to get 1.99% on a purchase over 4 years in August with Ford Employee Pricing and Costco Rebate, which was good -- same deal until end of September. In July, it was 2% higher, so I didn't pull the trigger. The US gets lower rates.

I was able to get 1.99% on a purchase over 4 years in August with Ford Employee Pricing and Costco Rebate, which was good -- same deal until end of September. In July, it was 2% higher, so I didn't pull the trigger. The US gets lower rates.
I recall what you got. Rates vary with the term. What I don't like about the U.S. site is that they don't show the interest rates.

Sure it does. Exactly the same as the Canadian site. Just click on the finance box while configuring:

If I bought mine in the US, I would have gotten 0% interest and $1750 rebate... pretty nice.

But still with exchange rate, $53k CAD = $40k USD, so we win even with higher taxes and higher interest rates.

82NXGI.png

I don't buy mine so I don't look at the Finance portion. Just chose Lease and look there. No rates shown.
Anyway, we are straying off topic.

Where are you guys getting this info on Plant Hold status for door handle and wiper arm?

I talk to people there almost daily and they say no such Hold exists.

Mine was ordered in August, built September 16th, it's in QC audit now and will ship end of this week.

I would challenge the dealer source of this information to see if it's a delay tactic for something else.

Well, mine was built in August, still no vehicle....
Heck, they can delay it a little longer. 3k under invoice, and 3k in rebates so far being honored.

Well, mine was built in August, still no vehicle....
Heck, they can delay it a little longer. 3k under invoice, and 3k in rebates so far being honored.
What dealership did you go through to pay under invoice?

Good morning all,

After some serious Internet searching about this mysterious "hold" I landed here. I'd like to offer my experience with this so far:

I ordered two Explorer's for work back in late June (17' PI Utility's). They are identical except for the engines (one with the 3.7, one with the 3.5 Eco). They were built mid August. They have sequential vin numbers with the Eco being first, followed by the 3.7.

After production, the 3.7 was promptly shipped and was at the dealer about 2 days later. The Eco is still currently in Chicago at "Ramp 6". The vehicle visibility report still shows the primary status as "in production". The comment section remark is "pending update".

Cassens Transport delivers all the Explorer / Taurus to the fleet dealer here. I spoke with Cassens at their terminal at the Chicago Assembly Plant and all he could tell me based on the vin was there is a "hold" and it can't be shipped until released from Ford. They had no info on the hold itself. The dealer hasn't been able to offer anything up and after talking with various Ford representatives, the most I can get is there is definitely a hold on the vehicle and it is a "code 340" with no one having any idea what 340 is.

I've only been able to verify a handful of vehicles with a hold on them, but I've noticed they are all Ecoboost vehicles. Again, I had two built together and the 3.7 made it out but the Eco did not. To add to Sgt1411's comment above, I wonder if there may be something else going on?

On a final note, our fleet dealer has had no delay in receiving Explorer's as they may get anywhere from 5-20 per week delivered. The Explorer's hitting the ground lately have all been built after the ones I ordered and are all 3.7's.

I confirmed yesterday mine shipped and thats with a build date of September 16th.

Thanks Sarge. I'm late to the forum and this conversation, is your new Explorer an Ecoboost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Thanks for the information.

Peter.

Back