2017 Explorer SUV: Push button start: Neither fob will complete Remote Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer SUV: Push button start: Neither fob will complete Remote Start

KN

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford ExplorerLimited
I bought a 2017 Ford Explorer SUV last week. It has push-button start/stop. I also have two FOBs that work great EXCEPT neither will start my engine. I have been scouring the internet and trying all sorts of directions for a week without success. If I cannot fix this on my own I will have to take it to the dealership for reprogramming. Please help me fix these FOBs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm just wondering how you drove home if fobs don't start the vehicle? Was there any kind of warranty involved in the purchase?
Just reread the thread title and it only involves remote start?

Peter

If it is only remote start that is affected then do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB port?

Peter

If it is only remote start that is affected then do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB port?

Peter
Push button works, just remote start with FOBs not working.

FOBs continue to lock/unlock doors, auto lower front windows, open/close trunk door.

Nothing plugged in.

KN

Let's make sure you're doing the right sequence first off (make sure the fob batteries are fresh):

1. Press the lock button on the remote. The car must have been recently locked by the fob first to remote start. It will not remote start if the car is unlocked or if it's been too long since it was locked from the fob.
2. Quickly press the remote start button on the fob TWICE. A press and hold or a single press won't work. On Ford's its a quick double press.
3. If it works, the green light should flash on the fob. If it fails, it will flash red.

My alternative theories:
1. The car isn't equipped with remote start, but at some point the fob was replaced with one that has the remote start button on it. There are two versions of the fob that year and both are interchangeable other than the remote start feature
2. Check that MyKey isn't enabled for your fob (refer to the owner's manual and the instrument cluster menu)
3. Check that remote start isn't disabled in the menus (refer to the owner's manual and the instrument cluster menu)
4. At some point an aftermarket security device was installed that overrides or disables the factory remote start. You can try and check under the dash for a box that doesn't look OEM, but you may not see it since there are many hiding places for these. If it ever spent time in Canada, this is a common issue as Canadian insurance gives discounts for having a third-party "dead man" magnetic disabler installed in the car.

Push button works, just remote start with FOBs not working.

FOBs continue to lock/unlock doors, auto lower front windows, open/close trunk door.

Nothing plugged in.

KN
Please see the Private Message I sent yesterday. Thanks.

Peter

Let's make sure you're doing the right sequence first off (make sure the fob batteries are fresh):

1. Press the lock button on the remote. The car must have been recently locked by the fob first to remote start. It will not remote start if the car is unlocked or if it's been too long since it was locked from the fob.
2. Quickly press the remote start button on the fob TWICE. A press and hold or a single press won't work. On Ford's its a quick double press.
3. If it works, the green light should flash on the fob. If it fails, it will flash red.

My alternative theories:
1. The car isn't equipped with remote start, but at some point the fob was replaced with one that has the remote start button on it. There are two versions of the fob that year and both are interchangeable other than the remote start feature
2. Check that MyKey isn't enabled for your fob (refer to the owner's manual and the instrument cluster menu)
3. Check that remote start isn't disabled in the menus (refer to the owner's manual and the instrument cluster menu)
4. At some point an aftermarket security device was installed that overrides or disables the factory remote start. You can try and check under the dash for a box that doesn't look OEM, but you may not see it since there are many hiding places for these. If it ever spent time in Canada, this is a common issue as Canadian insurance gives discounts for having a third-party "dead man" magnetic disabler installed in the car.
Thanks for the info. I do not have a manual yet. I will check it out as soon as I can get one. It is scheduled to go for a checkup at the dealership in a couple of weeks for them to try and fix it.

Thank you so much for all the help in trying to figure out what is going on with my Explorer! My plan is to try to peruse the manual and figure it out. If I'm not able to fix it then I will be taking it to the dealership on the 31st. Again, thank you for all your help! KN
Do you have your mail turned ON? I've sent a couple of messages about adding the required trim level of your Explorer.

Peter

Do you have your mail turned ON? I've sent a couple of messages about adding the required trim level of your Explorer.

Peter
I am so sorry. I rarely check my email. My trim level is Limited, I believe. I am not a car/truck person so my knowledge is severely limited.

I am so sorry. I rarely check my email. My trim level is Limited, I believe. I am not a car/truck person so my knowledge is severely limited.
Click on your username at the top right and select Account Details. Then scroll down to where it asks for Year, Model & Trim Level: and enter the info (Limited) there.
Thank you.
FTY, you should also get a notification at the top right (letter icon) when you receive a PM.

Peter

Back