2017 Garage Door Opener Programming problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Garage Door Opener Programming problems

5 string

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I have tried numerous times to program the visor remote to link with my Chamberlain opener without success. Any tips? The opener is about 10 years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2 newer Chamberlain garage door openers and just programed my new Explorer Sport to control them.

The instructions in the owner's guide were a bit tricky to understand at first but it worked. There are different instructions for Canadian owners, as mentioned in the guide.
To activate the door opener you need to hold the button down for 1 to 2 seconds, a quick press will not open or close the garage door.

This is a link to the Owners Manual http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1448530&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

I have tried numerous times to program the visor remote to link with my Chamberlain opener without success. Any tips? The opener is about 10 years old.
Are you trying to program it for the Explorer? Your profile shows a Merecedes. If for an Explorer, please add the year and trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile. Make sure that you use the 'Delete' or 'Clear' procedure after each unsuccessful attempt to ensure the next try is with a clear memory.

Peter

I suggest you Google both Lear Car2U & Homelink for programming instructions. That’s what I needed to do as I switched out the visor on my 2017 Explorer w/one I purchased on eBay. Sounds like you may have an opener old enough that it doesn't have rolling codes (like mine). In this case you need to check the pin positions on your existing remote & duplicate them on the buttons on your visor. I did this & I now have a functiong visor remote.

I suggest you Google both Lear Car2U & Homelink for programming instructions. That’s what I needed to do as I switched out the visor on my 2017 Explorer w/one I purchased on eBay. Sounds like you may have an opener old enough that it doesn't have rolling codes (like mine). In this case you need to check the pin positions on your existing remote & duplicate them on the buttons on your visor. I did this & I now have a functiong visor remote.
I have a 12 year old Chamberlain LiftMaster opener and had no issues programming my vehicle to it. Before that I had a opener installed in 1983 and my 2011 Limited had no issues either. Just followed the Manual's instructions.

Peter

Thanks for the replies. Will try to clone an existing remote. Thanks

I will update my profile

I've got a Genie Powerlift 900, and every time I've tried to program a new car with it, neither the Homelink's instructions, nor the car's instructions worked. The same was true for my '17 Explorer while I tried every recommended set of instructions this weekend.

The good news is that on each of these occasions, I called Genie support and they walked me through a completely different and undocumented set of instructions that worked each time. They were closed this weekend, but I will call them later this week to sort out the Explorer.

I'm not sure if Chamberlain offers the same level of support as Genie, but I would give that a try. Good luck.

I have a new 2018 Explorer Limited and cannot get the programming completed with a Sears garage door opener. I have a 2010 Escape that I replaced the visor with a 2011 visor that has the Homelink control. I have been using this for several years with no problems connected to my Sears garage door opener (I installed the Sears opener in 2002).

But this new 2018 Explorer will not connect no matter which directions I follow in the manual. Anyone else have this issue?

I have a new 2018 Explorer Limited and cannot get the programming completed with a Sears garage door opener. I have a 2010 Escape that I replaced the visor with a 2011 visor that has the Homelink control. I have been using this for several years with no problems connected to my Sears garage door opener (I installed the Sears opener in 2002).

But this new 2018 Explorer will not connect no matter which directions I follow in the manual. Anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to the Forum David.:wave:
The 2011 was a Car2U system and the 2018 is a Homelink system. I'm not sure what the differences are but from what I can remember the programming was similar. Have you been clearing the memory as I suggested in post #3 between attempts?

Peter

Thanks for the replies. I finally figured it out with the help of the Ford video:
The trick is to follow the manual and/or video exactly as shows, in the order it shows (the manual is very confusing and not really clear on the fact that BOTH procedures must be followed.
Basically I needed to press and hold the Sears transmitter button, then press and hold the HomeLink button until I got a quick-flash. That's step #1. Then I had to follow the other procedure to set the garage door programming on the opener unit in the garage by pressing the programming button (in my case, located behind the left light bulb cover) and then press the previously programmed HomeLink button on the visor. That did it!
Thanks all!

Back