2017 PIU - Adding OEM Headlamp Switch for Fogs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 PIU - Adding OEM Headlamp Switch for Fogs

Stem

Reaction score
City, State
Florissant
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU
I am trying to add some aftermarket fog lamps. I plan on using the already existing OEM wire harness to tap into. I bought an OEM head lamp switch already, with the fog light button.

Unfortunately the OEM head lamp switch isn't really working. It will not activate the fog circuit. When I push the fog button, it turns on the dome light. Do I need to activate this head lamp switch module?

I already activated all the fog settings on the BCM using Forscan, is there something I am missing? The Fog button should activate fog circuit.

Screenshot_20230709-082144.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check to see if the circuit needs a fuse present?

Lead tech at my local Ford store advised against this, suggesting a separate fuse and switch. When I had my bumper off to install the push bar, my '16 wasn't wired for fogs anyhow. The only connector on the bumper cover was for the outside temp. Unless something changed for '17, I'd bet it's not wired for foglights.

I got a ton of information from someone on Facebook. It looks like it might be possible but I need to add a wire from the BCM to the headlight switch. I'm not nervous about that.

Next is to verify the connector I saw 2 months ago under the from bumper is the 20 Pin bumper connector. It should be there.

I already turned the circuit on via Forscan, it is a FET controlled circuit.

Last is the add the relay and fuse if needed.

Update on this thread to "close" it. BCM wire and 20 pin connector were not there. I ended up doing an aux switch/relay for them. I did get the dome light to work properly, but now I have a dead "fog" button on the headlight switch. We will see if I want to tackle that later.

Update on this thread to "close" it. BCM wire and 20 pin connector were not there. I ended up doing an aux switch/relay for them. I did get the dome light to work properly, but now I have a dead "fog" button on the headlight switch. We will see if I want to tackle that later.
I recently installed an Auto headlamp switch in my 2016 PIU and got the same results with the Fog Light button activating the Interior lights. How did you get the Interior lights to work properly?

Thanks in advance

I recently installed an Auto headlamp switch in my 2016 PIU and got the same results with the Fog Light button activating the Interior lights. How did you get the Interior lights to work properly?

Thanks in advance
remove the pin for interior lights on/off and swap it into the position for /w fog lights or get the correct switch-- gb5z11654ab which is a single lh button.

Back