2017 towing experience | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 towing experience

I'd like to post some actual towing experience rather than say what the towing guide states. I'm towing a 19' hybrid RV with a 2017 3.5 non turbo AWD with factory trailer pkg. I am about 400 lbs below max weights loaded. This rig handles great. Power at take off is wonderful BUT at Highway speed the 6 speed is constantly shifting. At 60ish on the flat it may hold at 2500 rpm (too low imo). At every overpass it downshifts to 3500 rpm. If there is ANY headwind it stays in the 3500 rpm gear. I get 24 mpg Highway without the trailer and 9 with the trailer. I think if it were geared to run at 3000rpm at 60 mph it may not shift as much. My trailer has a relatively flat front and is 8' wide and I suspect the 3.5 struggles more with the frontal area than the weight. The mpg tells me she is struggling. This small engine lacks torque and a dohc engine has to spin to make hp but if I select shift to hold in the 3500 rpm gear she sounds like she's struggling. Maybe this is healthy for this engine but 9.5 mpg makes me wonder how long she'll hold together.

Small engines need to rev. It's not like with the old torque monster V8s that could pull loads at low RPMs.

Back