• Register Today It's free!

2017 Transmission Issues

GregoryKi

Reaction score
City, State
MCKINNEY, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hi all, new member with a quick question.

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT (V6) with ~19,000 miles that started to leak transmission fluid from one of the hose seals. I took it to the dealer and they think that the line to the cooler is clogged or the solenoid is not working which caused the seal to bust when the fluid overheated and caused overpressure. It is still at the dealer and they will let me know more after the teardown of the transmission.

I searched around and this didn't seem like a common issue. The service tech mentioned that they only seen this a couple of times. My question is has anyone else heard of this issue? My wife drives the car around town with our kids, so there shouldn't be too much stress on the vehicle.

Thank you,
GK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Gregory.:wave:

Peter

Thank you, a lot of helpful information on here.

Haven't heard from the dealer on the status yet, with Labor Day weekend, but will post on what they find out.

GK

Update from the repair:

The issue was that the converter seal was leaking (transmission) in addition to the rear main seal retainer (oil). Luckily the transmission case was not warped.

They are not sure why the seal start leaking, only seen this happen a couple of times before with this model.

GK

Back