2017-up 3.5: PTU or water pump failures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017-up 3.5: PTU or water pump failures

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Has anyone with a 2017-2019 3.5L Explorer experienced PTU failures or leaks? How about the internal water pump? I know these are still relatively new and low mileage but I am still curious.

You can easily find the answers to those questions by going to the respective threads and checking the model years of the poster's Explorers. They are shown in the margin.

Peter

I've heard that the PIUs go through water pumps relatively quickly. Digging through Edmunds, I found one reviewer that mentioned his 2015 Explorer Sport needed a water pump at 75k miles. But Ford has supposedly implemented a fix in the PTU that impacts MY17-up, so I was curious if any have failed. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying or leasing a 2020-up given the poor quality coming out of the Chicago plant.

I had a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with 37,000 miles and the Timing Chain went out and they fix that and gave me back the truck and left several screws on the windshield were the wiper mechanism is, and the next day the Water Pump went out and I called them back and ask the did the want me to drive it back or what.

Back