2018 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer

Looks like they put currently available features into one optional package. I think it may be a good idea to wait until the 2018 Order Guide comes out to see what is available and or new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm with you. I don't like the quad mufflers it show to much of the muffler rather than just the tail piece

Yes it does show too much muffler, almost as if there needs to be more lower trim there

Thanks! I was/am really hoping for truly "autonomous" braking. It doesn't need to go to zero, although that would be nice, but if I'm about to rear end someone I would like it to start the process of avoiding that, I can finish the task, as I'm sure my attention would be redirected once the car started the braking process.

I'm curious to know where your attention was directed prior to it being redirected once the car started its braking process.

I'm curious to know where your attention was directed prior to it being redirected once the car started its braking process.
I might be looking off to the side at a hot...car...and miss the guy in front of me emergency braking.

Actually, it has occurred a couple of times on road trips, checking out the new-to-me scenery and what not, and the next thing you know, I'm slamming on the brakes because the guy in front of me braked hard. I've never rear-ended anyone, but I'd like a little back up from modern tech to keep it that way.

I might be looking off to the side at a hot...car...and miss the guy in front of me emergency braking.

Actually, it has occurred a couple of times on road trips, checking out the new-to-me scenery and what not, and the next thing you know, I'm slamming on the brakes because the guy in front of me braked hard. I've never rear-ended anyone, but I'd like a little back up from modern tech to keep it that way.
Might as well get yourself a Tesla with autopilot.

Not only Tesla, some cheaper options too. I just saw a video of BMW 540 driving without without driver pressing on any pedals and not even touching steering wheel as it tries to keep vehicle steering in its lane. Heh, it even self parked, if the parking spot is too tight, you can park a car with a remote and while not being in the vehicle. I bet other car manufacturers have similar safety and tech features on their 2018 models. Does Ford have any of this?

Nawww...I'm a dino-juice burner for life.

Spent last weekend at the auto show, sat in and examined everything else, Yukon/Tahoe, Enclave/Traverse/Acadia, XC90/S90, Q5/Q7, GLE 350/GLS 450/E300, X5/540i, RX/GX/LX, Range Rover/Discovery/Sport, Pilot, Highlander/4Runner/Sequoia/Land Cruiser, CX9, MDX, Pathfinder/Armada/Qx60/80, Touareg/Atlas (haven't seen in person yet, but I like the warranty), Durango, Grand Cherokee...I think that is everything I've considered and examined, all SUV/Crossovers with the exception of 3 sedans, and, I can't find anything I like better than the Explorer Platinum.

I like the room, the size, the features, the styling, and the price. I'm driving a 15 year old XLT and am ready to buy whenever the desire or need strikes me. I am at a point in my life/career where I'm willing to "treat" myself to something nicer, but I keep coming back to the Explorer. I've been looking/studying for a couple of years now and would be happy with a new Explorer but just wish it had the auto braking since, knowing myself, I'm likely to keep it for 15 years.

I like the room, the size, the features, the styling, and the price. I'm driving a 15 year old XLT and am ready to buy whenever the desire or need strikes me. I am at a point in my life/career where I'm willing to "treat" myself to something nicer, but I keep coming back to the Explorer. I've been looking/studying for a couple of years now and would be happy with a new Explorer but just wish it had the auto braking since, knowing myself, I'm likely to keep it for 15 years.

Did you check the 2018 Ford Expedition? Same family, only bigger & more reliable (body on frame) and has auto braking.

Did you check the 2018 Ford Expedition? Same family, only bigger & more reliable (body on frame) and has auto braking.
Excellent suggestion but it is just too big for me. I park during the week in a cramped parking garage and, otherwise, that's just bigger than I like. Wife already has a large SUV, so I kinda like the more midsize Explorer. But, that is where I got the hope from that the 2018 Explorer would have the same braking system, but it looks like that is not going to be the case.

They did have the 2018 Expedition at the auto show but only for gazing upon as it was locked up and you couldn't get inside. Looked nice though!

Nawww...I'm a dino-juice burner for life.

Spent last weekend at the auto show, sat in and examined everything else, Yukon/Tahoe, Enclave/Traverse/Acadia, XC90/S90, Q5/Q7, GLE 350/GLS 450/E300, X5/540i, RX/GX/LX, Range Rover/Discovery/Sport, Pilot, Highlander/4Runner/Sequoia/Land Cruiser, CX9, MDX, Pathfinder/Armada/Qx60/80, Touareg/Atlas (haven't seen in person yet, but I like the warranty), Durango, Grand Cherokee...I think that is everything I've considered and examined, all SUV/Crossovers with the exception of 3 sedans, and, I can't find anything I like better than the Explorer Platinum.

With the exception of the luxury brands and CX9 (wasn't released yet when I bought the EX), the other 3 row competitors didn't fit the bill either and I came back to the EX.

From the pics of the 18's on ford.com, it looks like they are dumping the Hankook's for Michelin's. Maybe they heard us :frustrated:... Any speculation (or confirmation) on which Michelin tire? I'm guessing the Premier LTX...

From the pics of the 18's on ford.com, it looks like they are dumping the Hankook's for Michelin's. Maybe they heard us :frustrated:... Any speculation (or confirmation) on which Michelin tire? I'm guessing the Premier LTX...
Where do you see the pics on ford.com? I only see a front view in a picture that says the 2018 is coming soon. No way you tell what tires it has from that. If you go to the first post in this thread and click on the link it will show different pictures. The one showing the wheel has the same Hankook tire that the 2016/17 currently has.

Peter

Go to the 2017 gallery, then scroll down the page for the 2018 pics.

Hankook tires still being used on the 2018 explorer.

Go to the 2017 gallery, then scroll down the page for the 2018 pics.
It seems that for those pics that show the tread, it looks different than the current Hankooks. The picture of the blue one shows the same wheels as the one in the 1st post link with the current Hankook. Don't forget that when the 5th gen initially came out, the tire brands were different depending upon the trim level.

Michelin's were always the lower tier tire on the lower trim models

There are 9 pictures in the gallery of the 2018's. Pics 1, 2, 5, 6 & 7 clearly show Michelin's on the Platinum trim. Note the 2018 pics are below the 2017 exterior and interior photos.

There are 9 pictures in the gallery of the 2018's. Pics 1, 2, 5, 6 & 7 clearly show Michelin's on the Platinum trim. Note the 2018 pics are below the 2017 exterior and interior photos.
Can you attach the link. Please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back