2020 Explorer brake issue | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer brake issue

Post number 113 has been selected as best answered.

WOW. that's a lot of complaints. Only thing now that is concerning is that there are no investigations into the issue yet. I would hate to see anyone get hurt for them to take action. AHHHH, FORD, you remember Firestone don't ya!?!??!?!?!?!?

What is a lot? 13 or 55? If 13, you think 13 is a lot when you have over 100,000 of these on the road? And if 55, have you read some of them? Someone complained because their window rattled.. another because their alternator needed to be replaced. Neither of these constitute filing with the NHTSA. Many of them were a joke to read.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is a lot? 13 or 55? If 13, you think 13 is a lot when you have over 100,000 of these on the road? And if 55, have you read some of them? Someone complained because their window rattled.. another because their alternator needed to be replaced. Neither of these constitute filing with the NHTSA. Many of them were a joke to read.
"A Lot" meaning a lot of the SAME issue. That's all. Yes, I realize there are a lot of vehicles on the road. However, if you see a pattern of the SAME issue then there is an apparent issue that needs to be resolved. That's all I'm saying. But yes, this is the Internet and we will "hear" about issues a LOT MORE than vehicles that have no issues.

Just sayin'

A standard concept in Marketing 101 is that if ONE customer takes the time to write a complaint letter, there are TEN that have the same complaint BUT didn't take the time to write a letter.

SO if we go by that concept, if 13 consumers took the time to voice their complaint to NHTSA, then there are approximately 130 other 2020 owners driving around with a brake issue that didn't report it.

And from what I've read on this list, there are four types of posters with brake problems.

* Those that get emotionally tied up in their purchase and have "settled" with the fact that their 2020 has a brake issue.

* Those that want to get out from their 2020 BUT they will lose so much money by selling/trading it in that they feel they are, in effect, stuck with a defective product.

* Those that know their 2020 has a brake problem. They have complained to their dealer who shrugs his shoulders and says that at this time there isn't a fix from FORD, so they take their "hope-e-um" pill and continue to drive...

* Those who take a brake problem seriously. They have either gone through the lengthy buy-back procedure, OR they just "jumped ship", took a loss, and sold it.

Just sayin'

A standard concept in Marketing 101 is that if ONE customer takes the time to write a complaint letter, there are TEN that have the same complaint BUT didn't take the time to write a letter.

SO if we go by that concept, if 13 consumers took the time to voice their complaint to NHTSA, then there are approximately 130 other 2020 owners driving around with a brake issue that didn't report it.

And from what I've read on this list, there are four types of posters with brake problems.

* Those that get emotionally tied up in their purchase and have "settled" with the fact that their 2020 has a brake issue.

* Those that want to get out from their 2020 BUT they will lose so much money by selling/trading it in that they feel they are, in effect, stuck with a defective product.

* Those that know their 2020 has a brake problem. They have complained to their dealer who shrugs his shoulders and says that at this time there isn't a fix from FORD, so they take their "hope-e-um" pill and continue to drive...

* Those who take a brake problem seriously. They have either gone through the lengthy buy-back procedure, OR they just "jumped ship", took a loss, and sold it.

So based on this.. there is a defect rate of 0.08% or 8 hundredths of 1 percent. This would seem rather small.

Clearly a safety issue but forums bring out a lot of issues. Hell, watching the fb 6th page, there are a ton of 2.3s being towed in for failures. Kind of scary reading those and feel bad for the owners.

The thing with faulty brakes is that the defect will 100% matter to the owner that is involved in a collision with injuries and/or deaths.

And on that point, let's not forget the business case; there is an assumption of risk issue formula that every auto manufacturer calculates on every new vehicle release.

Basically the assumed risk is the cost of the recall & repair when it's weighed against the possibility of potential lawsuits.

It's my belief that we're at the stage that it's obvious to FORD Corporate that there is a brake problem with the 2020.

From the posts here and on NHTSA, FORD dealers are well aware there is a brake problem, but they shrug their shoulders and tell owners that FORD has offered no solution.

So until some high publicity/high dollar lawsuits come down the pike I imagine "it is what it is"...

Bringing this back up. My wife put the Explorer into reverse the other day, and it rolled forward even as she was pushing hard on the brake. Sounds similar to the issues in this thread. Anyone have any type of repair done at the dealership for this issue?

My friends with the navigator said the dealer got a tsb the day after they dropped it off for this. It was a software update/change.

I hope that's the case for me. I am taking mine in to the dealer on Friday with a list of issues. All of which are commonly discussed online.

we have a 2020 feb built explorer but have not felt the brake issue yet....hoping it was an early build or something, however I would like to know if they know what the issue is or they are guessing a fix

My friends with the navigator said the dealer got a tsb the day after they dropped it off for this. It was a software update/change.
Any chance you have the TSB number/info?

Peter

@buzzard302 & @northvibe

Thanks for the updates, please keep us in the loop as to how things turn out!

Stay Safe!

Can't find the details beyond this but this came out a few weeks ago.

Bulletin SSM 49011
Bulletin Date:Jul. 21, 2020
Component:Service brakes, hydraulic.
Bulletin Summary: Some 2020 explorer/aviator vehicles built on or before 13-Dec-2019 may exhibit a hard brake pedal or reduced pedal travel when the transmission is initially placed in gear with no diagnostic trouble codes (dtcs) stored in the anti-lock brak
Vehicles covered in this TSB:2020 Ford Explorer, 2020 Lincoln Aviator.

And this one..
2020 Ford Explorer service brakes, hydraulic TSB (Bulletin SSM 48969)
Bulletin Date:Jul. 10, 2020
Component:Service brakes, hydraulic.
Bulletin Summary: Some 2020 explorer/aviator vehicles may exhibit a perceived lack of power brake assist or extended brake pedal travel at initial vehicle start up with diagnostic trouble code (dtc) c0047:64 stored in the anti-lock brake system (abs) module.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:2020 Ford Explorer, 2020 Lincoln Aviator.

Got mine back from the dealership today. They reprogrammed the brake module as per service bulletin 49011. Thanks to blwnsmoke for posting. I shared the bulletin number with my dealership and they acted as though they had not seen it before me. So perhaps I got something done that wouldn't have otherwise been done.

Now to give it some time to see if the issue ever happens again.

Hey guys, i too have had this problem. Today is the first time this happened. I got my 20 XLT back in july. Have about 1,900 miles. I used the remote start to start the car and i went to go sit inside since i was waiting for my brother to come take my spot. After about 8 minutes of idling, all of a sudden i'm startled by chimes and bunch of warning indicators. "check brake system", "antilock brake fault", "hill start assist warning", "hill descent control fault warning", "pre-collision assist not available".

I thought maybe because of the cold weather since i didn't use the truck for a whole 24 hours (i know that's not a big deal at all) but i thought because of the high 20s temp and wind, maybe it caused some funky stuff to the electricals.

So my brother came and i went to move it. Put it in reverse and the car was rolling as if i completely let off my foot. It wasn't accelerating. Just moving as if i completely have my foot off the brake. But i was on the brake pretty hard so i wouldn't crash in the car behind me. I put it in D to inch foward and the car wouldn't move. As if the brake was completely on.

So i was doing the foot dance with the car just to get the truck parked in the driveway because i didn't know what the hell was going on. I shut the car off. Waited about 20 seconds, started it back up and all the chimes and indicator lights were off.

I'm nervous now to use the truck for work tomorrow but i read that people have resolved this issue, at least temporarily by just shutting the truck off, then turning it back on.

But has anyone experienced this WHILE DRIVING? I use the highway a lot and it would totally suck if all of a sudden the brakes don't work.

My 20 was built in april of 20 so i don't know if it falls under the build date of any recall. Should i try to have the dealer do a software update? I'll most likely call them tomorrow anyway but i would like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hey guys, i too have had this problem. Today is the first time this happened. I got my 20 XLT back in july. Have about 1,900 miles. I used the remote start to start the car and i went to go sit inside since i was waiting for my brother to come take my spot. After about 8 minutes of idling, all of a sudden i'm startled by chimes and bunch of warning indicators. "check brake system", "antilock brake fault", "hill start assist warning", "hill descent control fault warning", "pre-collision assist not available".

I thought maybe because of the cold weather since i didn't use the truck for a whole 24 hours (i know that's not a big deal at all) but i thought because of the high 20s temp and wind, maybe it caused some funky stuff to the electricals.

So my brother came and i went to move it. Put it in reverse and the car was rolling as if i completely let off my foot. It wasn't accelerating. Just moving as if i completely have my foot off the brake. But i was on the brake pretty hard so i wouldn't crash in the car behind me. I put it in D to inch foward and the car wouldn't move. As if the brake was completely on.

So i was doing the foot dance with the car just to get the truck parked in the driveway because i didn't know what the hell was going on. I shut the car off. Waited about 20 seconds, started it back up and all the chimes and indicator lights were off.

I'm nervous now to use the truck for work tomorrow but i read that people have resolved this issue, at least temporarily by just shutting the truck off, then turning it back on.

But has anyone experienced this WHILE DRIVING? I use the highway a lot and it would totally suck if all of a sudden the brakes don't work.

My 20 was built in april of 20 so i don't know if it falls under the build date of any recall. Should i try to have the dealer do a software update? I'll most likely call them tomorrow anyway but i would like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks guys.

youll want the dealer to check for all recalls, there are a handful for certain build dates. Yours could need a couple

youll want the dealer to check for all recalls, there are a handful for certain build dates. Yours could need a couple

Called the dealer today to schedule. I told them what was wrong and the service advisor told me, "if it's a repeated problem, then bring it in. Chances are it's a glitch that happens on newer vehicles".

I was a bit stumped. I didn't know what to say. Because i would like to bring the car in but then i know i have to pay for a rental (they said they have to approve loaners to customers with cars that are actually being worked on, not just "checked"). So i would have to pay a rental @ 30 bucks a day for who knows how long, and who knows. Maybe a week later they'll say they can't replicate the problem and i take the car back with nothing done.

Also there are no recalls for my VIN. So a bit happy about that.

I took the truck today to work. It's like nothing happened. No CEL. No chimes, nothing.

Could it be an electrical glitch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@1sttimeexplorerowner

I suggest you find a new dealer for warranty service, and in the meantime spend 10 minutes and add to the growing list of brake complaints on the NHTSA Website.

HTH & Good Luck!

Back