2020 Explorer brake issue | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer brake issue

Post number 113 has been selected as best answered.

Have you reported this to the NHTSA as requested in post #52? If not, it is definitely something to consider.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to stress it to everyone who has this issue, PLEASE report it to the NHTSA!!! That could save someone's life or property, or their vehicle. Just like the issue that FCA had with many of their cars - a roll-away Jeep killed a couple of people, even a young actor. All it takes is a couple of minutes to reach out to them so they can jump on Ford/Lincoln to make sure this issue is FIXED/Resolved. Moreover, it will save us all time and worry if they roll out a fix sooner rather than later.

Trying to stress it to everyone who has this issue, PLEASE report it to the NHTSA!!! That could save someone's life or property, or their vehicle. Just like the issue that FCA had with many of their cars - a roll-away Jeep killed a couple of people, even a young actor. All it takes is a couple of minutes to reach out to them so they can jump on Ford/Lincoln to make sure this issue is FIXED/Resolved. Moreover, it will save us all time and worry if they roll out a fix sooner rather than later.

Done.

Everyone else - you can find the online form here: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

@Sharin @Adam58 @HtownST @SeattleST
@2020ST @Lancematic @Spacey

Any updates to this thread?

Have any of you had your brake issues acknowledged/repaired/fixed to your satisfaction or?

Hey Dave. I have had none of the above. When I took the vehicle in, the dealer couldn't replicate the issue (which makes sense, as it's pretty sporadic). I called the Ford line and opened a ticket or whatever. A tech from Ford corporate worked with the dealer on several things to check, and they couldn't find any issues. I have had the brake issue occur once since picking the Explorer up from the dealer, but I haven't been driving much, as I've been working from home. When I move the vehicle from park to drive or reverse, I make sure to keep my hand on the gear dial - and immediately throw it back in park if my brakes don't work.

......................................I make sure to keep my hand on the gear dial - and immediately throw it back in park if my brakes don't work.
That will just make the engine stall.

Peter

That will just make the engine stall.

Peter

I have done it ever time and that has not occurred. When the vehicle is rolling, it's going slowly. I pressed the brake as hard as I can and I put the vehicle in park. Turn it off, turn it back on, and when I put the vehicle can reverse it works fine.

I have done it ever time and that has not occurred. When the vehicle is rolling, it's going slowly. I pressed the brake as hard as I can and I put the vehicle in park. Turn it off, turn it back on, and when I put the vehicle can reverse it works fine.
Must be speed dependant. A member posted recently that he inadvertently grabbed the wrong dial and put his into Park while driving and the engine just shut down. Have you tried the emergency/parking brake in that situation? If that works, it's better than taking a chance of possibly damaging the transmission. It's only a very small pin that holds it in Park.

Peter

Must be speed dependant. A member posted recently that he inadvertently grabbed the wrong dial and put his into Park while driving and the engine just shut down. Have you tried the emergency/parking brake in that situation? If that works, it's better than taking a chance of possibly damaging the transmission. It's only a very small pin that holds it in Park.

Peter

Gotcha. I have never done at considerable speed, just the speed of the car moving either forward or backward when you take your foot off the brake pedal (like, how it will start to drive/crawl a little without pressing the gas). I haven't tried the e-brake, but I will next time it occurs, since I'm consciously looking for the issue every time I move out of park and into either reverse or drive.

@Adam58,

Have you viewed the video that former member / 2020 ST Owner @jmerco made available (made before FORD did a "buy back" on his ST), showing how his brakes fail?

Perhaps it will help you replicate it for the FORD service writer?!

Of course, we all know about replicating a problem for our mechanic works - but still.

The worry in all this would be the one time someone else drives your ST, or, the one day you are transitioning from a stressful environment or situation into your EX and thus you let your guard down...

As you wrote, although you don't drive it too much, it has done it once/again since getting it back from the Dealership - which means it's still an issue.

Here's the link to jmerco's video: IMG_0246.m4v

@Adam58,

Have you viewed the video that former member / 2020 ST Owner @jmerco made available (made before FORD did a "buy back" on his ST), showing how his brakes fail?

Perhaps it will help you replicate it for the FORD service writer?!

Of course, we all know about replicating a problem for our mechanic works - but still.

The worry in all this would be the one time someone else drives your ST, or, the one day you are transitioning from a stressful environment or situation into your EX and thus you let your guard down...

As you wrote, although you don't drive it too much, it has done it once/again since getting it back from the Dealership - which means it's still an issue.

Here's the link to jmerco's video: IMG_0246.m4v

I did see that video. His issue is different than mine. He is having the issue where you cannot articulate the brakes--they just feel on or off, and you just either go or stop (you cannot control the intensity of how hard/soft you are braking). I have never encountered that--I don't have the street pack, just the standard brakes, which may be the reason why. I have read reviews of the ST where reviewers encountered the same issue as jmerco.

The issue I have is that, after shifting into drive or reverse from park, occasionally I will get a hard brake where I have to use all my strength to push on the pedal, but I am not able to fully push the pedal in (maybe only about halfway) and the car slowly rolls away until I put it in park. Unfortunately it is occasional, and hard to record on video because, unlike jmerco, I cannot stop, so I can't easily record it and describe what's going on. It's more of a, "holy crap I need to stop this thing" situation when it occurs. I *think* it may have something to do with the electronic brake booster failing to calibrate at start up. I saw another member post that they can replicate the issue if they start the vehicle while pressing the brake very hard, that it doesn't happen if you start the vehicle and press the brake softer. I plan to try that a bit and see if I can get it to consistently happen by applying extra force on the brake at start up.

@Adam58

Thanks for your reply & clarification of your particular problem.

I've read the same account that you have, regarding another forum user who has the problem when he applies "full force" on the brakes when starting his Ex.

Please keep us in the loop, and I'm hoping as the other forum members with brake problems sign on, they to will keep this very important safety thread alive.

Stay safe everyone.

Hey all new here, problem with brakes, press brake pedal start car, put in reverse or drive, brake pedal feels stiff and car moves 2 - 3 feet, dealer cannot find anything, it happens sporadically but it is a safety concern

This happens to our ST and is repeatable. It is necessary to press the brake pedal to start the car. If I press it hard when starting the car I always see the behavior you describe. If pressed lightly when starting the car I don't see that behavior. I figure it has something to do with the way the car calibrates the electric brake booster on startup. I should take it in, but am avoiding unnecessary contact with other human beings at the moment. Come to think of it, I guess I did that even before the COVID thing started :).

Hey all new here, problem with brakes, press brake pedal start car, put in reverse or drive, brake pedal feels stiff and car moves 2 - 3 feet, dealer cannot find anything, it happens sporadically but it is a safety concern

Your thread was merged with the current conversation on this issue found using the sesrch function.

@bil1024

As you read this thread, you see your problem is real - you're not imaging it!

Start by documenting the problem with NHTSA on their easy online form.

NHTSA VEHICLE COMPLAINT FORM LINK: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

If possible, try finding another dealer that has a Service Mgr. that will take it seriously.

That 2-3 feet that the Ex is uncontrollable is just enough to cause a major accident at an intersection, or while backing out of a parking spot in a high traffic food store parking lot...

The fact that your braking issue occurs sporadically is a BIG RED FLAG - as soon as you let your guard down, or your significant other is driving your Ex is when Murphy's Law will rear it's head.

At minimum, since this is a safety issue, if you can't get a satisfactory fix/repair from your dealer, you should protect yourself by "getting on record" with a certified letter to the FORD Area Sales Rep and/or FORD Corporate Customer Relations.

Make sure to keep a copy of the letter, as well as choose to receive the original signature/acceptance card.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As suggested in some posts, this should be reported to the NHTSA. See post #52 for the link.

Peter

My dealer just replaced the entire brake booster assembly. Got it back on Friday, but with COVID lockdown I don’t have a clear idea if it fixed the issue.
If you are going to bring it in take a ride with the service manager. Explain the pedal feel when it occurs and request they discuss with the Ford hotline. This is becoming a known issue, as Ford authorized the brake booster replacement in only 2 days.

UPDATE - Only driven about 500 miles since March when the booster was replaced, but it appears to be happening again. Filed report with NHTSA. If you are experiencing the same issue please make a report. NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back