2020 Explorer Front-End Rattle / Clunk Over Bumps or Rough Surface | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Front-End Rattle / Clunk Over Bumps or Rough Surface

tcoldren

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
If you have a 2020 & Up Ford Explorer with the front-end rattle / clunk over bumps... Check your steering column!
It will sound like it should be suspension related but quite possibly that's not your issue.

My wife has a 2020 Explorer Limited with the power telescoping steering column (hers has not had this issue yet).
I have a 2020 Explorer XLT with almost as many bells and whistles as the Limited but with a manual telescoping steering column.
My Explorer started making this noise a little after 55,000 miles and was driving me nuts having an hour commute each way to work.

Unlatch or use the button on the steering column to fully move the column up and down / in and out probably 10 times each way.
After that, reset your steering column to your desired position and go for a test drive. If your noise level over bumps is gone or just about gone, get some white lithium grease and lube the column up under the dash.

Shoutout to my Dad the owner of Automotive Masters in Lancaster, PA and a former Ford Senior Master Technician for figuring the issue out :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '21 Platinum clunks like a champ over small bumps in the roadway and no mechanic has been able to diagnose it.
I've become accustomed to it and it only resurfaces as an issue after I take a ride in my daughters MDX, my sons F250HD or my best friends Nissan Maxima Platinum.
All these vehicles are significantly quieter than my '21 Platinum. The MDX is very quiet. Perhaps my next vehicle too.

My '21 Platinum clunks like a champ over small bumps in the roadway and no mechanic has been able to diagnose it.
I've become accustomed to it and it only resurfaces as an issue after I take a ride in my daughters MDX, my sons F250HD or my best friends Nissan Maxima Platinum.
All these vehicles are significantly quieter than my '21 Platinum. The MDX is very quiet. Perhaps my next vehicle too.
Yeah but if you prefer a quiet truck then go test drive Tesla Cybertruck for about the same amount of price but I think that they offer $7,500 off and maybe some other discounts. Ford is known to have rattles and noises from inside the door panels to outside parts like suspension.

Some mechanics these days can't fix a sandwich let alone a vehicle.

Back