How to: - 2020 Explorer ST Aftermarket Amp & Sub Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2020 Explorer ST Aftermarket Amp & Sub Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
There is a YouTube video from antman showing an xlt getting an upgrade. It doesn’t say much but they show some dash removal and then cut to the back right panel near the spare tire and said they found the amps. They had a ton of wires coming off the high side, probably to a LOC to an amp. Definitely a ton of work unless you are used to installs. I’ll stick to adding a sub and maybe some day swapping speakers for better ones. Mine is the b&o system but I’m not as impressed as the others here, my other vehicle has a full system but was far easier to install.
Can you provide the link? I have a 2021 explorer XLT standard sound but need a sub. Where is remote turn on coming from, it’s wife’s and was just thinking of doing all in one 10” under seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you provide the link? I have a 2021 explorer XLT standard sound but need a sub. Where is remote turn on coming from, it’s wife’s and was just thinking of doing all in one 10” under seat.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I just searched 2020 explorer subwoofer and the video is one of the first ones listed. There is only a quick view of the wires coming from the back panel, no description or what they used. I am going to use the wire shown from the OP to get the subwoofer frequencies, I have a LC2i pro that will pick up the high level input and send a remote wire to the amp. It also has adjustable levels to help improve the signal to the amp input, converting the high level signal to low level rca. You can also add the remote from power at the dash, you would need a wire diagram or volt meter to find a switched power source. Unfortunately there is not a lot of information about adding subs to the my20-21.
7:45 explorer dash removal
9:45 short view of back wires with no description

Peter
Thx bud!
I just searched 2020 explorer subwoofer and the video is one of the first ones listed. There is only a quick view of the wires coming from the back panel, no description or what they used. I am going to use the wire shown from the OP to get the subwoofer frequencies, I have a LC2i pro that will pick up the high level input and send a remote wire to the amp. It also has adjustable levels to help improve the signal to the amp input, converting the high level signal to low level rca. You can also add the remote from power at the dash, you would need a wire diagram or volt meter to find a switched power source. Unfortunately there is not a lot of information about adding subs to the my20-21.
7:45 explorer dash removal
9:45 short view of back wires with no description

thx. I’m hoping the factory door woofers are 4ohm because that’s what I ordered to replace the paper junk in there. I have the non B&O system. I’ve added systems to numerous vehicles but they seem to get more tedious as the newer models come. My titan for example has all 2ohm speakers from factory..... 🤦🏼‍♂️ So I had to add everything to get it right and maintain factory head unit controls.

I followed your write up with a few tweaks, I used the stock enclosure with an 8" Pioneer sub, cut the plug off the wires for the stock sub and spliced them into an RCA cable for the input on the amp. You definitely need an amp to push this thing the stock amp didn't even come close, it hits hard but wont go as low as a standalone setup. I will say the factory enclosure isn't bad I am guessing they put more time into its design than the rest of the system.
1616972165969.png

1616972188778.png

1616972527554.png

Super helpful write-up and I would have never torn into my new ST without it. I followed most of the paths but chose to use the Audio Control LC2i Pro to take those high-level inputs from the factory sub. I also opted for the JL Audio 12Tw-3 in a custom box and mounted it above the spare tire. The bass is amazing and that Rockford amp has plenty of power.

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

I wanted to thank the OP for the great How2. I have a compact JL Audio sub from my previous car, as well as the LC2i loc, and Alpine mono amp that Ive been itching to install.

I put the loc, amp in the back trunk storage compartment above the tire. Because of that, I used a grounding screw that is already near there that is right below the back of the factory sub box. Otherwise, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the firewall that the OP used for the powerline to the battery. Pretty easy to hide under the plastic trim pieces all the way to the spare tire area. As far as tuning the LC2i Accubass, I followed Audio Control's recommended setup procedure and used a 40Hz test tone (Youtube) and listened for bass roll off. The test tone kept increasing in volume (ie. no roll off) well past where I would be listening at so I set Accubass to off. Plan on getting the volume control for the LC2i. I used the LC2i to auto-detect audio signal and send a remote on/off line to the amp. I noticed it will power on every time one of the doors (including liftgate) is opened with the car off but shuts off after a couple of minutes. Hopefully doesn't pose a battery drain issue but something to be aware of.

Pleased with the setup. It fills out the bass nicely. My JL Audio 10" compact sub has good output at 40Hz but significantly lower at 30Hz--so it definitely doesn't go as low as I'd like but the space savings in a huge priority for me.

First of all I applaud you for a very nice write up that saved me tons of time and frustration! I would like to add to this great post with a spot on the drivers side under the dash where there is a hole with a rubber grommet/plug in it. Can easily cut a hole in this rubber and squeeze 8 or 4 gauge through. Me I ran 1/0 with some techflex on it and had to enlarge said hole and use my own grommet. Be careful drilling as there are other wires on the otherside of the firewall. It was fun concealing the 1/0 under the trim panels but is possible.

View attachment 316970
View attachment 316971
View attachment 316972
View attachment 316973
View attachment 316974
Where does this hole lead ? I tried to put some wire through and couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it comes out

Where does this hole lead ? I tried to put some wire through and couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it comes out
You may not get an answer from that member. He was last seen here a year ago today.

Peter

If you stick your phone camera above the fuse box and slide it all the way towards the firewall, you should be able to see a black rubber boot going into the firewall and a large multi wire connector above it, the hole is below the rubber boot. I stuck a white wire though and it was sitting right above what appears to be another piece of sheet metal on the bottom, I believe the fuse box is in a double firewall designed box design. I googled some images of the “2020 explorer firewall” and the first one that pops up is a Forbes image of a white explorer that shows the hole. It is a cutout and the fender sheet metal is mostly cut away in the image, also the wiring and everything else is not shown in the image.

The white cable matters wire is what I used, it is going to be fun getting something to hook that when I fish my wire.

The white cable matters wire is what I used, it is going to be fun getting something to hook that when I fish my wire.

This is not going to be fun 😂

First of all I applaud you for a very nice write up that saved me tons of time and frustration! I would like to add to this great post with a spot on the drivers side under the dash where there is a hole with a rubber grommet/plug in it. Can easily cut a hole in this rubber and squeeze 8 or 4 gauge through. Me I ran 1/0 with some techflex on it and had to enlarge said hole and use my own grommet. Be careful drilling as there are other wires on the otherside of the firewall. It was fun concealing the 1/0 under the trim panels but is possible.

View attachment 316970
View attachment 316971
View attachment 316972
View attachment 316973
View attachment 316974
I know this thread is getting old but I have a question for you. Getting ready to upgrade speakers, amps, and add a sub to an xlt. I see the grommet you are referring to and it's matching counterpart on the engine side of the firewall. Question: were you able to access the grommet in the engine compartment in order to replace it or add a new one? I don't see how to get my hand down there and keep that. I can probably fish The 4 gauge amp wire through no problem but getting a grommet in place looks to be impossible.

I know this thread is getting old but I have a question for you. Getting ready to upgrade speakers, amps, and add a sub to an xlt. I see the grommet you are referring to and it's matching counterpart on the engine side of the firewall. Question: were you able to access the grommet in the engine compartment in order to replace it or add a new one? I don't see how to get my hand down there and keep that. I can probably fish The 4 gauge amp wire through no problem but getting a grommet in place looks to be impossible.
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on July 2, 2020. He may no longer be following this thread.

Peter

You pull the grommet out towards the driver’s seat, cut or drill a hole in it for the size wire, I use forstner bit to help cut a clean hole in the grommet. Pull the wire through the firewall hole, slide the grommet up the wire from the end that is in the cabin, secure it in it’s original location. You can buy grommets with holes for 4 gauge wire but I like the factory plugs since it is sized for the hole.

If you are pushing the wire through from the inside, make sure you keep the grommet pulled back inside the cabin and slide it up to the hole once you have the wire ran. You can just keep sliding it down the wire if you have the rest of the wire already ran to the back.

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t think the sub has a standard ring shape. I have only seen f150 subs removed from the factory box and they looked like it would be a pain to fit in a decent speaker. When I get around to installing my sub I will have to take a closer look.

If I install an amp and a pair of subs off the signal wires that are posted above, do I have to disconnect the factory sub? I plan on running a LC2i pro, Fosgate T750x1, driving a pair of JL 8w7’s. The LOC has resistance options that should make the system believe the sub is still connected. I just wanted to know if it is best to disconnect or leave it attached. Also plan on making a oem jumper wire using the wpt-1016 and wpt-1456 connectors so I don’t have to splice the wiring.
Hello, I'm doing an install on a 2022 ST. You mention (2) connectors, the wpt-1016 and the wpt-1456. I was curios which one of those connectors is the one coming from the subwoofer side, and which was coming off the factory wire harness side? Thanks!

Hello, I'm doing an install on a 2022 ST. You mention (2) connectors, the wpt-1016 and the wpt-1456. I was curios which one of those connectors is the one coming from the subwoofer side, and which was coming off the factory wire harness side? Thanks!

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's interesting that the sub has moved to the left side on the 6th gen. It actually looks like it has clearance for an even deeper Stealthbox than the 5th gen had. But it doesn't seem like JL is going to offer it. I absolutely love the Stealthbox in my 5th gen. I also sent an email to PAC Audio to see fi they'll be releasing an AmpPro for newer Ford vehicles. I love the AMPPro because they include a T-Harness so you don't have to hack up your speakers to get a line level output.

Back