2020 XLT snow handling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 XLT snow handling

bnixon1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
2020 XLT purchased last August, driving in first snow storm of the years, truck handles terrible. Possibly Hankook tires? Hate to do it but ready to purchase new Michelin.
Anyone have thoughts? 2005 Explorer and and Audi Q5 handled well in this stuff, I am driving my worst drive in years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless they changed tires in 21 they are Pirellis

You in slippery mode

I thought the standard was 20 with Michelin. Only the upgraded pack comes with the 21.

Get snow tires for the winter. I have no issues with our 21 michelina but I also know snows will significantly improve the handling.

2020 XLT purchased last August, driving in first snow storm of the years, truck handles terrible. Possibly Hankook tires? Hate to do it but ready to purchase new Michelin.
Anyone have thoughts? 2005 Explorer and and Audi Q5 handled well in this stuff, I am driving my worst drive in years.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you don't have dedicated winter tires on the vehicle then you can expect exactly what you are experiencing with the Explorer and those tires.

Peter

I have never had snow tires on any of my vehicles. I learned to drive in northern Michigan with all season tires and at one point drove large pick-ups daily on what could only be considered racing slicks. I have heard a lot of people claim that you must get winters tires for snow. The most aggressive I have ever put on my cars are AT tires and I have not had any issue driving with those.

This is my first winter with this Explorer. Right now it has all season tires (what I learned to drive with in the winter). I did notice it is a bit squirrelly, but not bad enough to be too concerned, just definitely drive much slower than I did in my 4x4 truck. I put that up to the tires. Unfortunately I have only found one brand of all terrain tires for this SUV and it is an off brand. I'm holding out until next year our the year after to buy replacement tires. Then again we only get snow a couple times per year and it is normally gone within a day or two.

bnixon1 probably has the 18" Hankook tires. I replaced mine with Michelin Defender LTX M/S 255/65R18 111T BW tires at 4k miles. Replacing original tires at 4k miles gives you an idea how little confidence I had in the Hankook tires after driving them only 4k miles.

I have not driven them in much snow or ice yet but the initial results are positive.

This new Michelin tire is not a snow tire but I chose them based on experience using them with other vehicles.

Snow is only part of the equation. The other is cold temperatures. So-called all-season tires begin to lose traction at just 44 degrees F and it worse as the temperature drops. Winter tires, due to their rubber composition, retain their flexibility/grip on bare roads much better and are safer. That is why they no longer refer to them as 'snow' tires but 'winter' tires.

Peter

The only time i actually put "snow" tires was when i had RWD or FWD cars. Because it does help. A LOT.

My last car was AWD and i used all seasons, for 3 winters before giving the car back (lease). Never had an issue.

I will do the same with the XLT that came with all seasons. The snowstorm we had 2 weeks ago, the XLT did just fine. Didn't wander on patchy roads that were unplowed. Easily go into my driveway, easily parked at work etc. The XLT is a lease so i can't see myself spending 1000+ dollars on a winter setup that will not benefit me enough to justify the price.

The only time i actually put "snow" tires was when i had RWD or FWD cars. Because it does help. A LOT.

My last car was AWD and i used all seasons, for 3 winters before giving the car back (lease). Never had an issue.

I will do the same with the XLT that came with all seasons. The snowstorm we had 2 weeks ago, the XLT did just fine. Didn't wander on patchy roads that were unplowed. Easily go into my driveway, easily parked at work etc. The XLT is a lease so i can't see myself spending 1000+ dollars on a winter setup that will not benefit me enough to justify the price.
If you lease another Explorer of Ford product you might be able to reuse the extra set of winter wheels/tires. I was able to as well as some others.

Peter

If you lease another Explorer of Ford product you might be able to reuse the extra set of winter wheels/tires. I was able to as well as some others.

Peter

True but so far as of right now the way things are going, i am honestly not sure if i'll be back. Unless i see some major improvements in the next year or so. Mid cycle (2023) should have all the "quirks" taken care of but that's what i'm eyeing on. If all is good, the next explorer yes i'll probably get a winter setup. Especially since my plan is to get into an ST. If dealer won't give me a good deal on coming back for another lease, then i have to jump ship and get perhaps used dodge durango SRT.

Dodge actually does seem to have good quality control at least from the Charger I use to own and it was a new model but Mercedes grouped owned Dodge then.

My wife had her pick of several different models but for some reason loves the Explorer. I drove it with its RWD platform it seemed a fun little ute that is not boring to drive unlike the new Ascent or CX9. I always have owned F150s and tend not to have any real issues with them. I am thinking maybe Covid and limited line runs out of the Chicago plant has hurt the Explorer launch. I mean there seems to be huge differences between the Michigan Flat Rock and Dearborn plants than what Chicago produces. As far as tires, I run BF Goodwrinch KO Champs on my truck and the previous truck I owned and they run great on any and all surfaces including snow. The new Bronco sport comes with them stock for under 30k and while Ford has a serious hit on their hands with that model. It is small intended for older or really young people and not middle aged folks.

Dodge actually does seem to have good quality control at least from the Charger I use to own and it was a new model but Mercedes grouped owned Dodge then.

My wife had her pick of several different models but for some reason loves the Explorer. I drove it with its RWD platform it seemed a fun little ute that is not boring to drive unlike the new Ascent or CX9. I always have owned F150s and tend not to have any real issues with them. I am thinking maybe Covid and limited line runs out of the Chicago plant has hurt the Explorer launch. I mean there seems to be huge differences between the Michigan Flat Rock and Dearborn plants than what Chicago produces. As far as tires, I run BF Goodwrinch KO Champs on my truck and the previous truck I owned and they run great on any and all surfaces including snow. The new Bronco sport comes with them stock for under 30k and while Ford has a serious hit on their hands with that model. It is small intended for older or really young people and not middle aged folks.
I think the Dodge thing is questionable. I bought a Charger that was a Mercedes design and I was not impressed. Too many trips to the garage to fix stupid things. With that said, it now has something like 200k and my son owns it.

I was waiting for the Bronco, but decided to buy the Explorer instead since they had pretty good financing and I knew I could get into it. The Broncos haven't hit the lots yet, so there was no telling.

I know a lot of people with FCA products.

What really put dodge on the map was not only the various models that get the awesome supercharged 6.2 engine but it's the trans. The ZF 8 speed auto is AMAZING. How i wish ford was able to get one of those in the 20+ explorers. I think i wouldn't have leased mine, i would have bought it instead.

That's why if i don't see improvements on the explorer towards mid cycle which will be around the time my lease is up, i gotta leave ford and go for a used SRT durango with it's awesome trans.

I know a lot of people with FCA products.

What really put dodge on the map was not only the various models that get the awesome supercharged 6.2 engine but it's the trans. The ZF 8 speed auto is AMAZING. How i wish ford was able to get one of those in the 20+ explorers. I think i wouldn't have leased mine, i would have bought it instead.

That's why if i don't see improvements on the explorer towards mid cycle which will be around the time my lease is up, i gotta leave ford and go for a used SRT durango with it's awesome trans.
The Durango will be discontinue soon due to low sales and tons of issues. You might say Ford has issues too. Yes they do but Ford is much more ahead on technology than Dodge and many others including Lexus and Mercedes.... They all actually follow what ford does.

The Dodge Durango Could Be Discontinued For New Jeep Models​

by Allison Barfield on December 28, 2020
There are good rumors and bad rumors. For example, rumors about the new three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee are exciting, but rumors about the Dodge Durango being discontinued are sad. But the Dodge Durango could be on its way out to make room for upcoming Jeep models.

Durango has one or two years left. I have a friend who's Father just retired from Dodge RD&D and the last one Designed is the 2022 due to the Hellicat !

The Durango will be discontinue soon due to low sales and tons of issues. You might say Ford has issues too. Yes they do but Ford is much more ahead on technology than Dodge and many others including Lexus and Mercedes.... They all actually follow what ford does.

The Dodge Durango Could Be Discontinued For New Jeep Models​

by Allison Barfield on December 28, 2020
There are good rumors and bad rumors. For example, rumors about the new three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee are exciting, but rumors about the Dodge Durango being discontinued are sad. But the Dodge Durango could be on its way out to make room for upcoming Jeep models.

Durango has one or two years left. I have a friend who's Father just retired from Dodge RD&D and the last one Designed is the 2022 due to the Hellicat !

I know. That's why i'm going to get a used SRT durango if no improvements have been made to the explorer.

Don't get me wrong, the explorer is awesome. But i doesn't have that "wow factor", not even the ST's. They are a more tame, suited for the working man with a family. As amazing as the ST is, and i do want one, it's no 392 SRT durango and the amazing soundtrack it puts out, regardless of the tech the ford might have over dodge.

If anything, dodge's u-connect is better than ford sync in terms of customizing settings. Ford might have better lane keep or adaptive cruise control but it can not do anything dodge's uconnect system can do in terms of customizing the vehicles performance.

I know. That's why i'm going to get a used SRT durango if no improvements have been made to the explorer.

Don't get me wrong, the explorer is awesome. But i doesn't have that "wow factor", not even the ST's. They are a more tame, suited for the working man with a family. As amazing as the ST is, and i do want one, it's no 392 SRT durango and the amazing soundtrack it puts out, regardless of the tech the ford might have over dodge.

If anything, dodge's u-connect is better than ford sync in terms of customizing settings. Ford might have better lane keep or adaptive cruise control but it can not do anything dodge's uconnect system can do in terms of customizing the vehicles performance.

You can have the ST tuned and it will blow the Durango.

The hybrid phev that Europe gets is legit but we have to go to a Lincoln to get that ride, and then the question is how fast is fast. Do you really want to be in a block rolling 160mph down the highway. You know how floaty and dangerous an suv is at 120 much less 160. I wouldn't want to go that fast in a sports car much less a block on wheels.

The Cherokee track hawk looks awesome if you want the badest suv out

Yes with modifications it's easier to beat a stock car that is supposed to be comparable from the start.

But i like warranty. So tunes will not be an option for me, even if i do decide to get an ST on my next lease.

It still won't sound like the SRT though :(

They sound so good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes with modifications it's easier to beat a stock car that is supposed to be comparable from the start.

But i like warranty. So tunes will not be an option for me, even if i do decide to get an ST on my next lease.

It still won't sound like the SRT though :(

They sound so good.
Yes. They do sound Nice. I don't know why Ford screwed that up, I just don't like the Body on the Durango. I think they could have done more.

Back