• Register Today It's free!

2021 Ford Explorer Paint Issues

QuadRydr

Reaction score
City, State
Racine, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, let me start off by introducing myself. I’m new to the forum and I recently purchased a 2021 Explorer in Infinite Blue. I’ve owned a couple of Fords in my lifetime such as 2 1st gen Focuses that were extremely reliable and great cars and eventually owned a 2018 F150 that had nothing but issues. After starting a family I decided to trade in my beloved 2016 Ram 1500 (which I traded the F150 for due to the issues) for the Explorer I am writing about now. After owning the vehicle I found a huge paint blemish on the roof that I decided to get repaired under warranty. Well long story short, in the process of repairs the dealership damaged the tailgate and tried to cover it up with a crappy paint job that I luckily noticed right away. I’ve only owned this vehicle for a month and it has been in the shop for over two weeks since they are attempting to paint over the poor paint job. The issue I’m having is I purchased a brand new vehicle to avoid things like this and now I’m left with a vehicle has been painted twice. I find this totally unacceptable and judging by the quality of their work I’m potentially facing further paint issues down the road that could affect the value of the vehicle. I have pushed the dealership to swap out the vehicle and they insist on me trading it in on a different Explorer resulting in me losing money. I have also started a claim with Ford in attempt for them to do a buyback but the person I spoke with indicated this would be very unlikely due to the experience not falling under the lemon law guidelines in my state. I’m just looking for some help or advice on how to get out of owning a vehicle that is a month old that has now been painted twice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
How did the paint job on the roof turn out? Being that it is still a new vehicle, there should be no excuse for them not being able to get a perfect match. Was the entire liftgate repainted? If only a portion of it, perhaps a complete paint over would be better.

Peter

I had a bubble on both my back doors and it went to the dealer-sponsored body shop for repaint at 700 miles. I have a 2020 Explorer. Luckily I'm lemoning my car now in CA but that's because I had countless transmission and seat issues being in the shop over 30 days. I was told Ford does not spot repair they actually pay for a repaint on the area with a bubble but the body shop only charged my dealer $730 for repainting two doors which seems very cheap IMO.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
How did the paint job on the roof turn out? Being that it is still a new vehicle, there should be no excuse for them not being able to get a perfect match. Was the entire liftgate repainted? If only a portion of it, perhaps a complete paint over would be better.

Peter
The paint on the roof had the same poor texture but that's the least of my worries. I now have a mismatched tailgate and it does not make me feel confident in the longevity of their work. I purchased a brand new car to avoid things like this :(

The paint on the roof had the same poor texture but that's the least of my worries. I now have a mismatched tailgate and it does not make me feel confident in the longevity of their work. I purchased a brand new car to avoid things like this :(
Have you taken it back and pointed out this issue to the dealer? A competent body shop should have no problem in matching the original paint.

Peter

Have you taken it back and pointed out this issue to the dealer? A competent body shop should have no problem in matching the original paint.

Peter
Yes. Currently undergoing a second paint job now.

Back